HVAC new humming normal wear and tear?

After taxes and fees, I'm coming from a $20k Mazda3 to a $100k Lucid so there's a ginormous gap in my knowledge and expectations in a luxury car. I often find myself debating whether the things I want to bring up are "entitled" or "reasonably unacceptable for a car this price". If I notice something unusual, then I just ask to see if it's a problem. I'm also just being careful because I don't want a problem (if it is a problem) to worsen but if it's normal across the other Airs then I'll just accept it. I don't think Lucid is deliberately trying to lie or run away from issues or purposely making an inferior product
I find that Lucid takes all of my concerns seriously even when I think it is just a software bug. I do worry about sending them off to chase something that may not be a real problem. If something does not sound right or work like it should, there is nothing wrong with bringing it up to service and asking them to verify it. My experience with Lucid service is that they go well beyond my expectations to take care of my car.

@hydbob Youtube compresses I think but link is below for full file

Google Drive link

timestamps:

0 - 50: usual car startup noises + me turning on the AC
51: liquid sound
53-54 humming starts
1:10 humming most audible at this time
1:24 I finish changing temp humming disappears

Even with a $300 recorder , the humming isn't captured well but I'd say start at 45 secs.

I was able to replicate the humm on the loaner GT.

1) when I first turn on the hvac after the car has been turned off for a while

2) significantly adjusting the temperature can sometimes make it go away

3) as Im typing this I heard the hum again for about 10 secs, stopped for 10 seconds, then started again.
Just because it can be replicated does not make it normal IMO.

I extracted the sound and uploaded two more files 'hum' and 'no hum'

I’ve also uploaded a video of mine doing it:

I’d say it’s more of a squeal. It reminds me of a dog whistle. Like really high in pitch.

I dont think my audio files are very helpful. It's very hard to hear the difference between hum and no hum but in person it's definitely noticeable.

@hydbob Youtube compresses I think but link is below for full file

Google Drive link

timestamps:

0 - 50: usual car startup noises + me turning on the AC
51: liquid sound
53-54 humming starts
1:10 humming most audible at this time
1:24 I finish changing temp humming disappears

Even with a $300 recorder , the humming isn't captured well but I'd say start at 45 secs.
Okay I can hear it. Lol I guess I always have music playing so I never hear it. Will try it tomorrow when I'm driving around now. Thanks!

Does the heater come on when the AC is going at times? I live in AZ so I don’t need the heater right now. It’s still pretty warm here.
It is used to regulate the temperature. AC is difficult to modulate the temperature with directly. In an ICE car, they blend in the engine heat with the AC running, or (old school) cycle the AC compressor to hold a temp within some tolerance. Lucid blends with the heating element.

If you don't want to hear the buzzing, turn the temperature all the way down to 59 and adjust the fan speed so you're comfortable. When the days are mild outside, turn the AC function off and just use the fan to keep you cool. If you need heat, use the seat and steering heater first. I've settled into this routine for most days.

Mine is really more of a robotic hum that is gentle so I don’t care about it. The squeal above is much worse than I have experienced.

I think the point is that loud humming shouldn’t happen on any car. $170k, $30k. The price is irrelevant.

The only time I hear any noise out of the ordinary from my Air is when I am fast charging. And I totally understand that. The fans kick in to cool the battery. Just running the AC is not loud at all. I just hear normal fan noise. So maybe the next technician can get to the bottom of it?

I have had the same persistent buzzing noise from the HVAC system of my Lucid Air Touring, and on all Air loaners I have driven (3 to be exact), and seek a resolution from Lucid Motors. Despite having shared multiple videos with the Service team to replicate the issue, as well as showing the Service team the issue in person, the problem remains unresolved.

This issue is more than an inconvenience; it significantly affects the quality of the driving experience. In a vehicle that prides itself on offering a serene and luxurious ride, the constant buzzing noise is unacceptable and to put it mildly, annoying. It’s ironic that in a car named “Air,” the serenity is interrupted not by the rush of wind, but by an irritating buzzing/humming noise from its own air system.

Turning off the HVAC system is not a viable solution. We should not have to compromise the functionality of our vehicles to avoid a problem that should not exist in the first place. It is imperative that Lucid Motors acknowledges and addresses this issue, whether it requires a software update or a physical recall. Silence on matters like these is not an option if we hope to see improvement.

I urge the Lucid Motors team and the community to take this matter seriously and work towards a resolution that upholds the high standards we expect from our vehicles.

Mine does that too, as I assume all Airs do. It's not great, but I only notice it when stopped. IMO one of the quirks of Air 1.0.

Quirks aside, the electronic humming noise the Air emits was surely not part of Lucid Motors’ designers and engineers’ intent. It’s important for Lucid Motors to address this issue.

Back