Highway Assist

Amster

Verified Owner
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
I have a question about the highway assist. I've only had the car two weeks and haven't activated it yet. What I'd like to do is have the car center itself in the lane, but let me control the speed. Does the Lucid have a mode like that? How do I set it up?

I have a question about the highway assist. I've only had the car two weeks and haven't activated it yet. What I'd like to do is have the car center itself in the lane, but let me control the speed. Does the Lucid have a mode like that? How do I set it up?
Sorry, that is not a feature. Give it some time and you will develop more confidence in both Highway Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control. They are both excellent.

You could set the adaptive cruise control for a ridiculously low speed, then use the go-pedal to "temporarily" override it to something faster for the entire drive. That would achieve lane centering with you controlling the speed.

You could set the adaptive cruise control for a ridiculously low speed, then use the go-pedal to "temporarily" override it to something faster for the entire drive. That would achieve lane centering with you controlling the speed.
The brain trust here is remarkable. 👏🏻👏🏻

Good idea. Most of my driving is in rush hour traffic. I feel safer when I'm controlling the speed of the car.

Sorry, that is not a feature. Give it some time and you will develop more confidence in both Highway Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control. They are both excellent.
Watch the ACC when all of the traffic in front of you has stopped. My car will not stop until it thinks a collision is imminent then slams on the brakes. @borski disagrees but that's how my car works, and I think others have the same issue.

Watch the ACC when all of the traffic in front of you has stopped. My car will not stop until it thinks a collision is imminent then slams on the brakes. @borski disagrees but that's how my car works, and I think others have the same issue.
This 100%. I had a couple of opportunities where, while using ACC, my car approached stopped traffic. In neither instance was there a hint of slowing down. With the solid regenerative braking, it's rare that I have to use my brakes, but they got a workout in these situations.

This 100%. I had a couple of opportunities where, while using ACC, my car approached stopped traffic. In neither instance was there a hint of slowing down. With the solid regenerative braking, it's rare that I have to use my brakes, but they got a workout in these situations.
We have three other cars with ACC, Mercedes and Ford, whose ACC work correctly. It's a flaw that Lucid needs to fix.

Personally, I would like the Air to slow down faster. I can’t speak for your car, but when traffic comes to a sudden halt, mine will slow down and stop, but not before my blood pressure rises. In these situations I usually take over, unless I feel like living life dangerously. Seems to me that Lucid could easily improve the speed in which the car starts to brake with an OTA.

I have been telling Lucid about the ACC issues in stoped traffic since day one. The car just does not recognize traffic that suddenly stops but continues at the cruising speed until the last minute and then slows dramatically. It scares the sh** out of my wife when she is riding with me. There are still some times where I don’t trust it and slam on my brakes. I now just manually start dropping the cruising speed when I see stopped traffic. The Lucid starts slowing down to the set speed and by the time it sees the traffic has stopped, the car has slowed sufficiently so it is not as abrupt. But it just should not be this way. My Leaf performs ACC perfectly, just not the Lucid.

Just saying, straight from the manual: “Adaptive Cruise Control may not detect stationary or slow-moving vehicles below 6 mph (10 km/h).”

In other words, if you see stopped traffic ahead of you, you need to take over and brake for yourself.

I’m not saying Lucid should not improve this situation. (That’s why they are currently building Traffic Jam assist.) I’m saying Lucid is telling you straight up ACC and Highway Assist are not designed to do what you are expecting here. So maybe don’t expect them to do that?

Might save you a heart attack or two.

Just saying, straight from the manual: “Adaptive Cruise Control may not detect stationary or slow-moving vehicles below 6 mph (10 km/h).”

In other words, if you see stopped traffic ahead of you, you need to take over and brake for yourself.

I’m not saying Lucid should not improve this situation. (That’s why they are currently building Traffic Jam assist.) I’m saying Lucid is telling you straight up ACC and Highway Assist are not designed to do what you are expecting here. So maybe don’t expect them to do that?

Might save you a heart attack or two.
The Lucid doesn’t recognize vehicles that go from 70 down to, say, less and 30 or 20 mph in a rapid fashion ahead. It doesn’t matter if they are not stopped or less than 6 mph. The ACC just does not work well for rapidly changing speeds. However, my Leaf does. It is just a software tweak that needs doing.

To be clear, I don’t disagree that that’s what you’re experiencing! It’s just not what mine does.

Does Tesla autopilot how it compares to this ACC with break in Lucid?
In 2014 when Tesla first sold Autopilot, braking reaction to stationary vehicles were not that reliable from a high speed but much better with lower speed.

Over the years, it's getting much better but not a guarantee because it can still hit stationary police cars/fire trucks...

Today, Tesla still can't pass the small mannequin test from Dan O'Dowd.

Once Lucid's software is fine tuned for LIDAR, I expect it to pass Dan O'Dowd test.

Watch out for pot holes. We hit one this week that blew the tire and left a small flat spot in the wheel five hours from home. First time I've blown a tire. It felt like a bomb went off. Keep your eyes peeled. The wheel does not like quick corrections with Highway Assist on.

Watch out for pot holes. We hit one this week that blew the tire and left a small flat spot in the wheel five hours from home. First time I've blown a tire. It felt like a bomb went off. Keep your eyes peeled. The wheel does not like quick corrections with Highway Assist on.
Curious where is this pot hole and is this usual for cars like this?

We've had the car for a few weeks and haven't tried Highway Assist yet. Posts like this really make me worry about using it.

Back