Highway Assist

Amster

Verified Owner
Cars
ZR Grand Touring
Referral Code
U9GRC6K9
I have a question about the highway assist. I've only had the car two weeks and haven't activated it yet. What I'd like to do is have the car center itself in the lane, but let me control the speed. Does the Lucid have a mode like that? How do I set it up?

I-20 West Bound right before exit 114 near Madison, GA. The pot hole looked like a piece of interstate had just fallen six inches into the ground.

Common? No idea. Low profile tires are suspectable to blowing. The 21" tires are certainly low profile. 19" supposedly hold up better, but I doubt many tires could have taken the pothole I hit.

We've had the car for a few weeks and haven't tried Highway Assist yet. Posts like this really make me worry about using it.
Don't let it. I love the Highway Assist. It drove us most of the way home (325+ miles) and to Augusta, GA (325+ miles) as well as a shorter day trip (150+ miles).

If there are a lot of semis, just turn off the Highway Assist part temporarily because it centers in the lane without regard to surroundings. I get a little nervous if I'm not hugging the left line.

Just keep in mind it does not adjust for pot holes. Exits or lack of clear markings can cause minor issues that are easily corrected.

We've had the car for a few weeks and haven't tried Highway Assist yet. Posts like this really make me worry about using it.
I use Highway Assist almost every day. It's not as good as that found on the EQS or Tesla yet but works fairly well. I have had it drift out of a lane on a wide slow turn so just keep your eyes on the road.

Watch out for pot holes. We hit one this week that blew the tire and left a small flat spot in the wheel five hours from home. First time I've blown a tire. It felt like a bomb went off. Keep your eyes peeled. The wheel does not like quick corrections with Highway Assist on.
What size wheels do you have?

What size wheels do you have?
21". I had the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season on during the blowout. The tire was covered by road hazard. Lucid does not put road hazard on their tires if I understood correctly. However, purchasing through Tire rack has the coverage included in the price.

Lucid will put on the Pirelli summer tire because that's what they have stocked and OEM if something were to happen. They will work with you to reimburse though if you have road hazard or some other kind of coverage.

The highway assist does work pretty good when you get it set up but definitely not as easy to set up as Tesla's ... but hopefully that will get better. My main gripe is that it only works on the main freeways (at least here in AZ). With the Tesla it would pretty much work on any road with good lines. I would at least hope Lucid upgrades it to work on smaller highways and main roads. Do others have the same experience in other states or is this just an AZ thing?

I’ve head mostly positive experiences but there is a need for constant attention. Mine seems to have an affinity to hug a line and that makes me nervous on sweeping, long turns and near other cars in that lane.

The pothole thing is more a product of the tire/wheel profile. Highway assist (and I’m assuming here for the instance described above) did not drive the car into a pothole on purpose. A human-driven car centered in the lane would have experienced the same result.

When Highway assist works, I really like it. On several occasions, however, I can’t get it to engage. I’ll be on a highway where I know it works and has worked previously. When I engage it comes up with adaptive cruise. I then try the long button press to switch to highway assist, but it just turns off cruise control entirely. This occurs despite there being a message telling me highway assist is available. Have others experienced this? After a reset, I can then sometimes use highway assist again. If I start on adaptive cruise, I have been unable to switch to Highway assist.

The highway assist does work pretty good when you get it set up but definitely not as easy to set up as Tesla's ... but hopefully that will get better. My main gripe is that it only works on the main freeways (at least here in AZ). With the Tesla it would pretty much work on any road with good lines. I would at least hope Lucid upgrades it to work on smaller highways and main roads. Do others have the same experience in other states or is this just an AZ thing?
I have been able to get it work on the highway to Prescott. I agree around Phoenix, it seems to be freeways only. I have not tried the Carefree Highway yet.

When Highway assist works, I really like it. On several occasions, however, I can’t get it to engage. I’ll be on a highway where I know it works and has worked previously. When I engage it comes up with adaptive cruise. I then try the long button press to switch to highway assist, but it just turns off cruise control entirely. This occurs despite there being a message telling me highway assist is available. Have others experienced this? After a reset, I can then sometimes use highway assist again. If I start on adaptive cruise, I have been unable to switch to Highway assist.
I have seen this a couple of times on freeways where I have used HA before. It will only do adaptive cruise control. I check the navigation and it is showing the correct location so it is not a matter of losing GPS position.

No issues with highways or interstates on engaging. A few times it turned off by itself, but I simply engaged the assist with the long button press. Cellular signal may have been the cause.

I’ve head mostly positive experiences but there is a need for constant attention. Mine seems to have an affinity to hug a line and that makes me nervous on sweeping, long turns and near other cars in that lane.

The pothole thing is more a product of the tire/wheel profile. Highway assist (and I’m assuming here for the instance described above) did not drive the car into a pothole on purpose. A human-driven car centered in the lane would have experienced the same result.
Agreed with the pothole. Someone driving manually is just as likely to hit one. A future feature for avoidance would be nice, but we are supposed to be monitoring the car and paying attention for the current capability of driving assistance.

There have been several threads on the difference between ACC and highway assist. Is there a difference in how they are turned on? Is there an indication of which mode I’m in?

There have been several threads on the difference between ACC and highway assist. Is there a difference in how they are turned on? Is there an indication of which mode I’m in?
Push and hold the activation button on the left steering wheel to switch between the two of them. It will clearly say which one you are using at the top of the screen.

Push and hold the activation button on the left steering wheel to switch between the two of them. It will clearly say which one you are using at the top of the screen.
To add to Bobby's comment, Highway Assist is currently geofenced for certain roads, mainly major highways/interstates. In my area, there are places where I'll be in Highway Assist and then take an exit to a smaller, divided highway, wherein the car will indicate that Highway Assist is not available in that area. By default it switches to ACC, but the car clearly indicates that...

Thanks.
To add to Bobby's comment, Highway Assist is currently geofenced for certain roads, mainly major highways/interstates. In my area, there are places where I'll be in Highway Assist and then take an exit to a smaller, divided highway, wherein the car will indicate that Highway Assist is not available in that area. By default it switches to ACC, but the car clearly indicates that...
Thanks to both of you.

When I test drive the car, I was on a major freeway (I280 near SF) and Highway Assist worked great! picking up my car and driving home on a different stretch of the same road, I couldn’t get it to work at all!

Obviously I had forgotten about the double tap.

And since I’m driving to LA tomorrow, this is sort of important.

I have been able to get it work on the highway to Prescott. I agree around Phoenix, it seems to be freeways only. I have not tried the Carefree Highway yet.
Mine also. If I have ACC on, then the HA is on; but if I step on the gas the ACC stays on but I am overriding it on speed but the HA goes off until I stop accelerating. I am not sure if that is how the Lucid operates as well. I haven't tried Carefree Highway recently either.

Mine also. If I have ACC on, then the HA is on; but if I step on the gas the ACC stays on but I am overriding it on speed but the HA goes off until I stop accelerating. I am not sure if that is how the Lucid operates as well. I haven't tried Carefree Highway recently either.
Fun fact, if you accelerate and get an override message, HA will still steer to keep you center even though you are overriding it.

I was visiting Mountain View, CA last week and saw a Lucid decked out like a Google Waymo test vehicle with all the special sensors and Mars-like light atop. The body was finished in a pattern that repeatedly spelled Lucid. Not sure if this was a Lucid car being used to map streets and highways or a test car loaned to Google.

No issues with highways or interstates on engaging. A few times it turned off by itself, but I simply engaged the assist with the long button press. Cellular signal may have been the cause.

Agreed with the pothole. Someone driving manually is just as likely to hit one. A future feature for avoidance would be nice, but we are supposed to be monitoring the car and paying attention for the current capability of driving assistance.
Do any lane centering systems avoid pot holes? Auto Pilot on my Tesla doesn’t.

So far, my experience with Highway Assist has been pretty similar to my experience with Auto Pilot (and has been much better than my experience with the Honda system). Obviously, HA is limited to many fewer roads. But I think it works fine on the highways where it works at all.

Do any lane centering systems avoid pot holes? Auto Pilot on my Tesla doesn’t.

So far, my experience with Highway Assist has been pretty similar to my experience with Auto Pilot (and has been much better than my experience with the Honda system). Obviously, HA is limited to many fewer roads. But I think it works fine on the highways where it works at all.
Completely agree. HA blows away my old Model 3 by not phantom braking every few miles alone.

People insist on comparing all these systems on paper. But from an experience standpoint, from a “what actually works vs checkmarks on a spreadsheet” standpoint, HA is doing a better job than any other car I’ve driven so far.

Back