Highway Assist

vcbuddha

Cars
2022 Air Grand Touring
Has anyone else noticed that the Highway Assist is not working as well after the most recent update? After the last couple of map updates, it seemed to be working very well, consistently keeping me in the center of the lane. But, after the last big update that came out, now it's weaving all over the lane again. It seems like every time there's a new navigation update that comes out, it screws up the highway assist function. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this too?

Has anyone else noticed that the Highway Assist is not working as well after the most recent update? After the last couple of map updates, it seemed to be working very well, consistently keeping me in the center of the lane. But, after the last big update that came out, now it's weaving all over the lane again. It seems like every time there's a new navigation update that comes out, it screws up the highway assist function. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this too?
Which software are you on?

Odd, it’s working better for me now than ever before. Ping-pong is gone. The only criticism is that unlike some other ADAS it doesn’t yet employ route based speed changes so it will approach a corner without slowing down and you’ll have to take over. This has improved some from previous software where it does handle some corners better than before but it would probably fail even less if they’d just have the car slow by 5-10mph when approaching what looks like a big corner.

Odd, it’s working better for me now than ever before. Ping-pong is gone. The only criticism is that unlike some other ADAS it doesn’t yet employ route based speed changes so it will approach a corner without slowing down and you’ll have to take over. This has improved some from previous software where it does handle some corners better than before but it would probably fail even less if they’d just have the car slow by 5-10mph when approaching what looks like a big corner.
I also think it is working better now after the last software update. Not sure I've seen any Navigation updates???

Worth exploring if this is a calibration issue? I’m among those who find the latest version significantly improved.

Last week, I drove from Bay Area to SoCal and used HA extensively. Besides every 30 seconds or so asking to keep my hand on steering wheel, HA worked well. In term of ping pong effect, there were some minor adjustment as the car try to centered itself - granted it was a windy day.

I spoke with service. They recommended I toggle between driving assist and adaptive cruise control and then back on. I'll try that and hope this fixes the issue. My car isn't making minor adjustments, it's going over the line.

I had a few issues with HA on my Thanksgiving road trip.
1) It activated on a highway with traffic lights when it clearly shouldn’t have. It definitely does not understand how to drive through intersections even without traffic and only green lights, not that I expect it to. Easy enough to manually switch to ACC, but it’s just odd - I thought it would only activate on known freeways.
2) There were a lot of small hills. HA lost sight of the lane at a number of hilltops and, without saying anything, tried to steer right into the next lane.

Not exactly HA, but the car also slammed on my brakes for me as I was backing out of a parking spot because somebody was speeding behind me. Would have been a real life saver if they hadn’t been about 30 feet behind me and definitely not in any way an immediate danger. That system could benefit from a lesson in moderation.

I love using HA and it seems to be working fine. Just did my first long drive from Ft Lauderdale to Asheville NC, and relied on it extensively. My only annoyance was that frequent alert telling me to keep my hands on the wheel - which they were!! Is there any way to stop that thing from being such a pest? 😂

1) It activated on a highway with traffic lights when it clearly shouldn’t have. It definitely does not understand how to drive through intersections even without traffic and only green lights, not that I expect it to. Easy enough to manually switch to ACC, but it’s just odd - I thought it would only activate on known freeways.
Fascinating! What highway has traffic lights and intersections? I wonder if it was mapped?

2) There were a lot of small hills. HA lost sight of the lane at a number of hilltops and, without saying anything, tried to steer right into the next lane.
If you have timestamps, send those to customer care - they will have the engineers look at the data. If not, save timestamps in the future and send ASAP so they can pull logs.

Not exactly HA, but the car also slammed on my brakes for me as I was backing out of a parking spot because somebody was speeding behind me. Would have been a real life saver if they hadn’t been about 30 feet behind me and definitely not in any way an immediate danger. That system could benefit from a lesson in moderation.
Haha yeah, this is a known bug. It's a bit overzealous right now, particularly when backing out - often sees cross-traffic that is across the street, lol

I had a few issues with HA on my Thanksgiving road trip.

I know highways in AZ that are both mapped for HA and have a few stoplights. Example is 69 to Prescott. I was surprised by it and usually canceled HA before the very few stoplights.

Fascinating! What highway has traffic lights and intersections? I wonder if it was mapped?
This was US-15 in Virginia between Charlottesville and Warrenton. There are a lot of lights, HA thought it was good to go the whole way.
If you have timestamps, send those to customer care - they will have the engineers look at the data. If not, save timestamps in the future and send ASAP so they can pull logs.
Good to know, maybe for the next long trip I’ll see if siri is smart enough to note the current time or something.

I know highways in AZ that are both mapped for HA and have a few stoplights. Example is 69 to Prescott. I was surprised by it and usually canceled HA before the very few stoplights.
There are a couple of spots in CO as well. I can use HA on Foothills Expressway, for instance, which has a lot of lights when you are in Boulder proper. But I always disengage and let the regen kick in when no one is in front of me, because I know it won't stop for the light.

Is it known that 2.1.42 expanded the roads that HA can now be active on? I just HA’d my way through downtown Vancouver. Only because it defaults to HA now rather than ACC and so when I activated it thinking to use ACC it instead activated HA and I figured I roll with it until it stopped recognizing the road…which it never did. Performed quite well throughout. I’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature lol

Is it known that 2.1.42 expanded the roads that HA can now be active on? I just HA’d my way through downtown Vancouver. Only because it defaults to HA now rather than ACC and so when I activated it thinking to use ACC it instead activated HA and I figured I roll with it until it stopped recognizing the road…which it never did. Performed quite well throughout. I’m not sure if this is a bug or a feature lol
Just be careful. HA is definitely not designed for non-highway use.

Somebody else did say that HA worked on their traffic lighted road as well...

Just be careful. HA is definitely not designed for non-highway use.
Yes I pretty much drove as if on manual control but I ended up never actually having to assert any control. And it was mixed traffic, tons of stop lights, stretches of totally open road, lots of acceleration and deceleration and plenty of full stops and starts. I was more just curious since when I’ve tried to activate HA previously even on highways or freeways that maybe weren’t large enough to make the cut, it wouldn’t be available but now it suddenly seems to be available in areas that it probably shouldn’t be 😅

Back