Hacking a faster charge?

Todd

Verified Owner
Cars
23 Air Touring
We know that charge rate slows as the state of charge increases. When we first start a fast charge at EA, our KW may be as high as 300+ (I can dream), but this drops rapidly as the battery charges
. My question is, “Does this depend on the charge limit that we select?”
For example, assume a low SOC to begin. If we set the charge limit to 100% instead of 80%, would both scenarios have the same KW as we approach 80% charge?

We know that charge rate slows as the state of charge increases. When we first start a fast charge at EA, our KW may be as high as 300+ (I can dream), but this drops rapidly as the battery charges
. My question is, “Does this depend on the charge limit that we select?”
For example, assume a low SOC to begin. If we set the charge limit to 100% instead of 80%, would both scenarios have the same KW as we approach 80% charge?
No, it's all dependent on the battery SOC% and temperature of the pack itself.

No, it's all dependent on the battery SOC% and temperature of the pack itself.
Agreed. I wish/wished this was true so I always set my charge limit to 100% (and then manually stopping at 80%) hoping to extend the time before it slows down. It does not.

My understanding is that the car charge speed is controlled by the car and not the charger. The EA charger wants to deliver as much as possible and yes sometimes the charger is limited due to technical/hardware issues. But, if the charger is working, it is the Lucid software that is protecting the life of the battery by slowing the charge. This can be due to the temperature of the battery, the Soc, etc… try conditioning the battery first and using the same charger to see if that improves it. Setting the 80% limit should have no impact on charging speed.

Back