Reduced fast charging performance

Edmunds tested both on their cycle and found a 50 mile difference between the two. Granted not 100, but still a significant difference
View attachment 16954

And here's a charge plot of GT. See how far it sits below the model S, whereas in the screenshot from @xponents the dream is slightly faster than the model S
View attachment 16957
You are welcome to trust a source that does not publish conditions for their charging test, especially when many here have seen more than the 270kW peak observed by Edmunds. I tend to discount anything from them.

Especially given how clearly biased they are against Lucid with their videos and Tweets full of half truths and misinformation.
Remember that horrible 1 year review? One of the worst pieces of car journalism I have ever seen..

My charge on Sunday initiated at 200 kw at 22% soc. That was the best in my 11 month Touring ownership.
Just charged from 20% -80% at EA in King of Prussia mall. 350kw charger - started at 116kw for 5 minutes then 90kw for 5-8 minutes then steadily down until I hit about 60kw for the last 75 miles of charge. used 1 of 6 350kw chargers while all were in use. I guess I should be grateful that they were all working :)

Just charged from 20% -80% at EA in King of Prussia mall. 350kw charger - started at 116kw for 5 minutes then 90kw for 5-8 minutes then steadily down until I hit about 60kw for the last 75 miles of charge. used 1 of 6 350kw chargers while all were in use. I guess I should be grateful that they were all working :)
Shared 350 will top out at 175, less if it's cold outside.

Shared 350 will top out at 175, less if it's cold outside.
Only if another car is connected to the other 350 of the pair and is pulling 175kW. If there is no car connected to the other charger of a 350kW pair, you can expect to be able to pull 350kW or less as your car requests.

A pair of balanced 350's share a total of 350kW power output between them, by allocating several power module outputs to one or the other.

Especially given how clearly biased they are against Lucid with their videos and Tweets full of half truths and misinformation.
Really? They show a lucid air dream doing 516 on their test loop and you think that’s biased? I think that’s pretty exemplary and shows they have no problem posting something that makes lucid look good. Their test of 456 on the GT I think is almost unbelievable. If I was Edmunds and had a bone to pick against lucid, I would cherry pick results that didn’t show 500 miles of range…

Also read this thread and look at the charging curves. And I don’t know why you’re focusing on the peak of 270. That’s not even important. The charge curves match what they posted

Last edited:
...Their test of 456 on the GT I think is almost unbelievable. If I had a bone to pick against lucid, I would publish my 3.0miles/kw rating and say 300 miles out of 500 sucks haha
Maybe you'd be happier with a different car?

Maybe you'd be happier with a different car?
Lol I said if I was Edmunds and had a bone to pick that’s what I would do. I think they are being extremely generous to Lucid in their results. You can read the range report thread on this forum. Edmunds test is way more optimistic than users on the forum. If you think what I’m saying is incorrect, please share something that says otherwise. I shared public links with very positive results, yet they are still bashed for being biased.

I think it’s clear that people don’t want to talk in an unbiased way in this forum. And I’m not surprised lucid doesn’t fix anything because everyone is just apologizing and coming up with excuses for them around here. It’s a small company, they don’t have a lot of owners, what we ask for matters…if we just cover our eyes with blinders, nothing will improve.

I’m going to keep asking for improvements because I want lucid to improve and sell more cars. If you don’t care, then maybe you should just mute me.

I’m going to keep asking for improvements because I want lucid to improve and sell more cars.
You'll want to mention your ideas and concerns to Lucid. They don't routinely monitor this forum, which is intended for owners to help other current and prospective owners.

Lol I said if I was Edmunds and had a bone to pick that’s what I would do. I think they are being extremely generous to Lucid in their results. You can read the range report thread on this forum. Edmunds test is way more optimistic than users on the forum. If you think what I’m saying is incorrect, please share something that says otherwise. I shared public links with very positive results, yet they are still bashed for being biased.

I think it’s clear that people don’t want to talk in an unbiased way in this forum. And I’m not surprised lucid doesn’t fix anything because everyone is just apologizing and coming up with excuses for them around here. It’s a small company, they don’t have a lot of owners, what we ask for matters…if we just cover our eyes with blinders, nothing will improve.

I’m going to keep asking for improvements because I want lucid to improve and sell more cars. If you don’t care, then maybe you should just mute me.
Let's keep the punches clean, and calm down. @DeaneG that was uncalled for, and let's all chill out before this thread gets closed.

@momo3605 the goal is definitely unbiased and open conversations and critiques; but we absolutely do not accept "dumping" either. Rehashing old topics, or repeatedly bringing up the same topic over and over, etc., is against the guidelines.

Open and unbiased is what we aim for though.

Let's keep the punches clean, and calm down. @DeaneG that was uncalled for, and let's all chill out before this thread gets closed.

@momo3605 the goal is definitely unbiased and open conversations and critiques; but we absolutely do not accept "dumping" either. Rehashing old topics, or repeatedly bringing up the same topic over and over, etc., is against the guidelines.

Open and unbiased is what we aim for though.
Thanks for clarifying. This thread is about slow charging curves. Am I in the wrong for asking why the dream edition and the GT have significantly different charge curves? Everyone is commenting saying I’m wrong lmao. But how am I wrong!? It’s a public fact and charge curves are posted everywhere that show that the dream has a better charging curve.

Try to keep in mind you walked into a room full of people who have a long history of a specific style of discourse. Spend a minute listening, rather than making assumptions, and you just might see what many of us know. That the vast majority of posts to this forum over the past few years have been unbiased constructive feedback to Lucid. Which has resulted in quite a bit of improvement to the car.

We’re plenty tough on Lucid here where they need to hear it. Spend a bit more time getting to know us. Trust me. I’ve been here for quite a while. Saying we don’t allow criticism comes across as just nuts to anyone who has been here long enough.

To your question on charging curves: the Dream Edition was a limited run, special edition of the car. As such, it had different, way more expensive to produce, charging chemistry. That battery pack was never meant for mass production.

For reasons that go beyond my understanding of physics and chemistry, maybe Lucid has deemed that pack capable of handling a slightly more aggressive curve than other trims? I don’t know. That’s my best guess, if the curves are in fact different. I don’t stress over such things.

What I do know is Lucid has to guarantee all packs for a minimum of 8 years of sustaining at least 80% of their capacity. Their engineers might have deemed the Dream can handle the heat, while the GT, etc might not?

They have science to back that up. It’s not just to spite GT owners. I can guarantee that.

Regardless, curves can be tweaked over time. So it may happen that Lucid reads these packs over the next several years and determines maybe they can push them harder after all? Maybe the curve will be amended at that point? They don’t have any cars on the road for 8 years yet to know for sure. If you were them, wouldn’t you want to be a little more conservative, given you’d be on the hook for replacing thousands of batteries?

I know I would.

In the real world, the difference is minimal, anyway. When I charge, I end up at the station for 35 minutes. Or 45. On an 8-hour driving day, ten minutes is never going to break me.

The exact speed of the charger really doesn’t add up to much when you are grabbing a quick 20-80% fix. At least in my experience. To me, I t’s not worth obsessing over this sort of minutiae. I’m sure someone with more electrical engineering can give a more precise answer.

Thanks for clarifying. This thread is about slow charging curves. Am I in the wrong for asking why the dream edition and the GT have significantly different charge curves? Everyone is commenting saying I’m wrong lmao. But how am I wrong!? It’s a public fact and charge curves are posted everywhere that show that the dream has a better charging curve.
I just realized you have a Touring. Your charging curve is also different from a GT and I can't see any data online that shows the charging curve of a Touring. You will also never achieve higher than I think 276?kw? @Adnillien has the math in his head.

It would be nice if the Lucid Air reported what it is requesting from the charger and what it is getting.
In general provide more information on charging and power consumption for those that want it.
"Charging limited by charger" is something. Is that because the charger is providing 148 and the car requests 150 or the car is requesting 250.

I just realized you have a Touring. Your charging curve is also different from a GT and I can't see any data online that shows the charging curve of a Touring. You will also never achieve higher than I think 276?kw? @Adnillien has the math in his head.
You can just multiply the charging power shown on the vertical axis of a GT charging curve by 18/22.

Back