Reduced fast charging performance

Just charged from 20% -80% at EA in King of Prussia mall. 350kw charger - started at 116kw for 5 minutes then 90kw for 5-8 minutes then steadily down until I hit about 60kw for the last 75 miles of charge. used 1 of 6 350kw chargers while all were in use. I guess I should be grateful that they were all working :)
Did you precondition for 1 hr?

Or 9/11 ?
Right, 18 battery modules in the Touring and Pure compared to 22 in the GT , operating at the same current but 18/22 of the voltage = 18/22 of the power, charging and discharging. 9/11 would be one less digit to enter!

Did you precondition for 1 hr?
Pre conditioning can help get to max if charger can provide. My experience over 2 years and 27k miles. The car does pretty well without preconditioning. I am usually using CarPlay for navigation. I’ll pre condition when I remember, but it saves a few minutes. The caveat is I’m driving in almost exclusively above freezing temps.

Pre conditioning can help get to max if charger can provide. My experience over 2 years and 27k miles. The car does pretty well without preconditioning. I am usually using CarPlay for navigation. I’ll pre condition when I remember, but it saves a few minutes. The caveat is I’m driving in almost exclusively above freezing temps.
Even when it’s cold, I almost never remember to precondition. Doesn’t seem to make that much difference. Maybe Eric Bach could school me on how it would save me 6-10 minutes, but in the scheme of things, I just don’t care about such a small difference.

I think at this point it's pretty safe to say that Lucid made adjustments to the charging curve to be conservative and preserve battery longevity. I would have liked confirmation from them officially, but I imagine they'd rather avoid stirring up drama over it. If it was actually and unexpected issue I think they would have been upfront about it.

In any case, for most owners it really is a stretch to call this an actual issue, as others have said. The actual time saved at each individual stop is generally negligible, although I'd argue that 5-10 minutes a stop adds up on longer trips. I'm also a little confused as to what the benefit of 800v architecture is if I'm still not really charging faster than 400v cars. If it's necessary to preserve the battery pack then so be it, but I'll admit I expected better when I purchased the car.

I'd still be very interested in seeing some recent charging curves from any upstanding DE or GT owners for the sake of comparison!

Just charged from 20% -80% at EA in King of Prussia mall. 350kw charger - started at 116kw for 5 minutes then 90kw for 5-8 minutes then steadily down until I hit about 60kw for the last 75 miles of charge. used 1 of 6 350kw chargers while all were in use. I guess I should be grateful that they were all working :)
Hey, I charged there today as well. I think around 5:30 to 6:00pm so right after you. I used charger number 4. Came exactly at 20% SoC and charged to 80%. Battery preconditioned for about 20 minutes. I observed exactly the same charging rate/curve as you stated above. Makes me think this is EA not Lucid.
By the way I saw other folks hogging chargers and trying to charge to 100%. I think it was BMW I4. This drives me nuts.

Hey, I charged there today as well. I think around 5:30 to 6:00pm so right after you. I used charger number 4. Came exactly at 20% SoC and charged to 80%. Battery preconditioned for about 20 minutes. I observed exactly the same charging rate/curve as you stated above. Makes me think this is EA not Lucid.
By the way I saw other folks hogging chargers and trying to charge to 100%. I think it was BMW I4. This drives me nuts.
I think we should be able to award dunce caps to all those who:
1. charge to 100% at a facility when all chargers are in use &
2. those who tie up a 350kw charger with cars that can't accept even half that when there are other chargers available.
Of course, those dunce caps should only be awarded when you're fresh out of photon torpedoes 😂

I think we should be able to award dunce caps to all those who:
1. charge to 100% at a facility when all chargers are in use &
2. those who tie up a 350kw charger with cars that can't accept even half that when there are other chargers available.
Of course, those dunce caps should only be awarded when you're fresh out of photon torpedoes 😂

There are situations when both those are necessary, and they have happened to me.

When I arrive at a station, I look for the 150 kW chargers. Multiple times they have been occupied, with only one 350 charger available. So I used it. That is OK, right? As I was charging, it is likely one of the cars using a 150 will move, making it look like maybe I picked the wrong charger to charge my Mach-e. But I didn't. So before you shoot me with a photon torpedo, consider that I might have not had a choice. Also, keep in mind the number of broken chargers that are out there, and I have had to switch from a failing 150 kW charger to a 350. More than once. Public charging sucks.

As for the 100% thing, I have done that also. Only once, but I really needed a full charge because my destination was in the middle of nowhere Virginia, with no chargers within a 50 mile radius. I needed to be sure I could arrive there, drive around, and then make it to another charger when I was ready to leave. When I did that the station was empty, but would you have been angry with me because I needed to fully charge?

As much as I agree with the dunce cap idea, I don't think it is worth the stress worrying about it when it happens. You don't know why that person is there. It might even be a dreaded Bolt. (I think all Bolt drivers should get a dunce cap when they pick up their car from the dealership.) But if you get upset, you could be getting upset for no reason. Or for a bad reason.

There are situations when both those are necessary, and they have happened to me.

When I arrive at a station, I look for the 150 kW chargers. Multiple times they have been occupied, with only one 350 charger available. So I used it. That is OK, right? As I was charging, it is likely one of the cars using a 150 will move, making it look like maybe I picked the wrong charger to charge my Mach-e. But I didn't. So before you shoot me with a photon torpedo, consider that I might have not had a choice. Also, keep in mind the number of broken chargers that are out there, and I have had to switch from a failing 150 kW charger to a 350. More than once. Public charging sucks.

As for the 100% thing, I have done that also. Only once, but I really needed a full charge because my destination was in the middle of nowhere Virginia, with no chargers within a 50 mile radius. I needed to be sure I could arrive there, drive around, and then make it to another charger when I was ready to leave. When I did that the station was empty, but would you have been angry with me because I needed to fully charge?

As much as I agree with the dunce cap idea, I don't think it is worth the stress worrying about it when it happens. You don't know why that person is there. It might even be a dreaded Bolt. (I think all Bolt drivers should get a dunce cap when they pick up their car from the dealership.) But if you get upset, you could be getting upset for no reason. Or for a bad reason.
Absolved.
But I've seen both things happen too many times to believe all these folks had to jump thru the hoops you had to. Ignorance on these folks' part is tolerable on occasion. but the absence of common courtesy all too often reminds me of the days I lived in NYC & had to practically do hand-to-hand combat just to get a parking space.

Lol I said if I was Edmunds and had a bone to pick that’s what I would do. I think they are being extremely generous to Lucid in their results. You can read the range report thread on this forum. Edmunds test is way more optimistic than users on the forum. If you think what I’m saying is incorrect, please share something that says otherwise. I shared public links with very positive results, yet they are still bashed for being biased.

I think it’s clear that people don’t want to talk in an unbiased way in this forum. And I’m not surprised lucid doesn’t fix anything because everyone is just apologizing and coming up with excuses for them around here. It’s a small company, they don’t have a lot of owners, what we ask for matters…if we just cover our eyes with blinders, nothing will improve.

I’m going to keep asking for improvements because I want lucid to improve and sell more cars. If you don’t care, then maybe you should just mute me.
The negativity towards Edmunds here on the forum is actually not from those instrumented tests. It’s from several of the videos they made in their GT where they literally pick apart things that were user error, easily fixed by service, etc. They had a distinct bias. Watch this one and you will see what I mean:

Back