Grand Touring Tracker (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My four month window comes up in about two weeks, so I asked my DA for a new estimate along with a question about potential delivery fee to my home since I live over 600 miles from the closest Sales/Service Center. Well, he verified there was no fee, but made absolutely no comment as to what my revised expectations might be. I am getting very frustrated with the lack of any guidance whatsoever. Is it going to be another month (unlikely since I do not have a VIN), two months, three, six. He told me on the phone a couple weeks ago that he hoped I would be getting a VIN in the next couple weeks, but that did not happen. I ordered 1/2021 and confirmed 11/17/21. Avoiding my question is much worse than addressing it with bad news.
I would like them to tell us you have 300 cars ahead of you and we are producing 5 cars a day! Then I would have some idea! Leaving us all in limbo with no information
is not the best customer service.
When you do Euro BMW Delivery they are much more informative.

VIN arrived today!

AGT Black/Mojave
Reservation made 2/28/21
Order completed 12/14/21
Order modified (tire change) after call with DA 1/6/22
VIN 3/3/22

I haven't been on these forums for a while - guess it's time to return!

VIN arrived today!

AGT Black/Mojave
Reservation made 2/28/21
Order completed 12/14/21
VIN 3/3/22

Hmmm, is this the first December confirmation with a VIN ?

April 14th would be your 4 month window and with a VIN in hand I would imagine that will easily be met.

VIN arrived today!

AGT Black/Mojave
Reservation made 2/28/21
Order completed 12/14/21
VIN 3/3/22

Congrats! I believe you’re the first in my confirmation batch. Gives me hope…except I stuck with Santa Cruz instead of Tahoe interior.

Their signature says gray.

VIN arrived today!

AGT Black/Mojave
Reservation made 2/28/21
Order completed 12/14/21
VIN 3/3/22

Even if color is a/the leading predictor of timing, there must be quite a few black/Mojave configurations that we confirmed before this one... weird.

It also doesn't help that the DAs are kept in the dark regarding the manufacturing process. My DA has repeatedly said he's unaware of any color batching or other manufacturing plans. So they're doing the best they can with the limited information they're given. After all, my VIN has been coming any day for about a month.
This is pretty accurate. The DAs won't have much information on timing and will be the occasional production update as their main source of info. The policy seems to be not sending updates unless it is positive news so that they don't further over-promise. It can be frustrating for all of us here because we want our cars and are always itching for info, but will be the better customer experience overall.

VIN arrived today!

AGT Black/Mojave
Reservation made 2/28/21
Order completed 12/14/21
VIN 3/3/22

That gives hope for those of us in the December group (even though I should be in November):). I imagine those in November with no VIN's probably aren't going to be so happy.:mad:

That gives hope for those of us in the December group (even though I should be in November):). I imagine those in November with no VIN's probably aren't going to be so happy.:mad:
I've found that odd too. Every confirmed VIN we see here is a Tahoe interior, but all the test drive cars I've seen (both in person and posted) are Santa Cruz. Makes me wonder if they accepted Santa Cruz parts for the test drive cars that would have failed production, but in a way a customer wouldn't see.

I've found that odd too. Every confirmed VIN we see here is a Tahoe interior, but all the test drive cars I've seen (both in person and posted) are Santa Cruz. Makes me wonder if they accepted Santa Cruz parts for the test drive cars that would have failed production, but in a way a customer wouldn't see.
Mine is red with Tahoe. Sounds like I have 2 things in my favor. Now I just need my VIN.

Apparently Quantum Grey with Santa Cruz interior will be lucky to take delivery by 2023. /s

Starting to get disappoint with the lack of movement on Grey and Santa Cruz orders.

Last edited:
Apparently Quantum Grey with Santa Cruz interior will be lucky to take delivery by 2023.

Starting to get disappoint with the lack of movement on Grey and Santa Cruz orders.
Whoa, that's a ways out. Did you get something from your DA?

Mine is red with Tahoe. Sounds like I have 2 things in my favor. Now I just need my VIN.
You and me both. And if location does play any role, I have that too :).

VIN arrived today!

AGT Black/Mojave
Reservation made 2/28/21
Order completed 12/14/21
VIN 3/3/22

whereabouts are you located?

This is pretty accurate. The DAs won't have much information on timing and will be the occasional production update as their main source of info. The policy seems to be not sending updates unless it is positive news so that they don't further over-promise. It can be frustrating for all of us here because we want our cars and are always itching for info, but will be the better customer experience overall.

I disagree with this being the better customer service experience overall. After being involved with a couple of somewhat major airlines a lifetime ago (albeit in Finance), the worst way to treat our customers was to keep them in the dark. Bad news, although not liked, was appreciated when compared to "no news". Our customer service agents were, in a way, similar to the DA's at Lucid. They would tell you to a person that they would have much rather delivered any news, even bad, than to tell the customer "I don't know". It is much better to tell someone what they currently think, with honestly, and also tell them that it could change due to XYorZ. A familiar saying we would get from Station Managers was that our employees at the airport were Customer Service Agents, not Customer no-service Agents. People tend to deal with bad news better than no news, especially if they think that news is being purposefully kept from them.

I disagree with this being the better customer service experience overall. After being involved with a couple of somewhat major airlines a lifetime ago (albeit in Finance), the worst way to treat our customers was to keep them in the dark. Bad news, although not liked, was appreciated when compared to "no news". Our customer service agents were, in a way, similar to the DA's at Lucid. They would tell you to a person that they would have much rather delivered any news, even bad, than to tell the customer "I don't know". It is much better to tell someone what they currently think, with honestly, and also tell them that it could change due to XYorZ. A familiar saying we would get from Station Managers was that our employees at the airport were Customer Service Agents, not Customer no-service Agents. People tend to deal with bad news better than no news, especially if they think that news is being purposefully kept from them.
I see your point. Since we're not dealing with travel, which is very time-critical, I think the Lucid calculus is to sit tight so they don't disappoint. It makes it harder for people like us who are a lot more vested in the purchase and have a sense of urgency.

Quantum grey with Mojave here, so I guess it's 2023 for me as well.

This example doesn't just apply to travel. We have the same issue at the Company we own that manufactures Airport Service Equipment (Tugs, Belt Loaders, Air Stairs, etc). Our customers do not mind us telling them we have delays (especially now with supply chain issues). They understand that. We also tell them when we anticipate getting the parts that are holding up their units and we update them when things change. I am not sure they would be so patient if we ignored them.

I do not agree with Ludid's calculus. Sitting tight so they don't disappoint by keeping their customers in the dark only serves to foster disappointment in another way. I don't mind bad news, I absolutely despise "no" news or, worse, ignoring my questions.

I would like them to tell us you have 300 cars ahead of you and we are producing 5 cars a day! Then I would have some idea! Leaving us all in limbo with no information
is not the best customer service.
When you do Euro BMW Delivery they are much more informative.
Yes. I’m a data guy and that is the type of information I am looking for. It is not forthcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back