Grand Touring Tracker (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally, first time, saw and sat in the car today at the Tyson Virginia studio. That's the closest one to me, about a 6 hour drive. I was in the area for another reason.

I am retired now, but in my professional life I drove a lot. Over a million miles. In that million miles I developed an aversion to having my right leg rest against the console while driving. The console in the Air is too wide for me. Frankly I thought this would be an issue, nearly all vehicles these days have wide consoles and very narrow cockpits. I put up with it in my Boxster, but I won't put up with it in a luxury sedan.

There were a couple of other smaller issues that I could have gotten past if there was more side to side driver room. The A pillar as it curves back over the driver door felt claustrophobic to me. I like to use the door handle pocket for storage of small items, and that doesn't work in the Air. And once I was in the car I remembered I really like smooth leather dashboards instead of Alcantara.

Basically, for me to spend this kind of money on a car, I need to REALLY like it. I didn't. And I wanted to. I am very attracted to the idea of a fast, comfortable EV with 500-ish mile range. Maybe there will be one I like someday.

I wish everyone here all the best. This is a good forum and a supportive community. I am still a stockholder and hope the company succeeds.

But I am out.

I finally, first time, saw and sat in the car today at the Tyson Virginia studio. That's the closest one to me, about a 6 hour drive. I was in the area for another reason.

I am retired now, but in my professional life I drove a lot. Over a million miles. In that million miles I developed an aversion to having my right leg rest against the console while driving. The console in the Air is too wide for me. Frankly I thought this would be an issue, nearly all vehicles these days have wide consoles and very narrow cockpits. I put up with it in my Boxster, but I won't put up with it in a luxury sedan.

There were a couple of other smaller issues that I could have gotten past if there was more side to side driver room. The A pillar as it curves back over the driver door felt claustrophobic to me. I like to use the door handle pocket for storage of small items, and that doesn't work in the Air. And once I was in the car I remembered I really like smooth leather dashboards instead of Alcantara.

Basically, for me to spend this kind of money on a car, I need to REALLY like it. I didn't. And I wanted to. I am very attracted to the idea of a fast, comfortable EV with 500-ish mile range. Maybe there will be one I like someday.

I wish everyone here all the best. This is a good forum and a supportive community. I am still a stockholder and hope the company succeeds.

But I am out.
Thank you for a well thought out reply with the quirks that turned you away.

But I am out.
Sorry to see you go! At least you were able to figure it out before dropping all the money. I took my test drive today to make damn sure as well. Good luck, and without a doubt there will be an EV sooner rather than later to fit your needs.

Thank you for a well thought out reply with the quirks that turned you away.
No car addresses everyone’s needs or comforts so I’m glad you made that discovery before purchase. Good luck with the search!

But I am out.
Maybe Gravity will work out better for you when it comes out?

Thanks, guys.
I do not have an emergency need for a vehicle at the moment, so waiting it out for now.

But I am out.
Have you sat in an Ioniq5?

@hydbob No. The interior pictures look like that would work for me. But not enough range.
I have two ICE vehicles in the family that are OK. My Jeep Grand Cherokee has a console but the geometry is good for me. But my son is taking that vehicle, and the Air was to be a replacement for the Jeep. And my daughter's 2008 Beetle has no console.

did they give you an estimate?
I tried to pin him down without much success. He did say when pressed he expected it delivered within a month. Earlier the better for me. While in Florida, the Riveria Beach service center is 15 minutes away. Once I head up to CT in mid April, nothing is close. So I hope any issues can be remediated before then .

Gotta be the color? They finished the Dream red run and transitioned to those AGTs? Unless the in between greys and other colors haven’t reported in yet.

I tried to pin him down without much success. He did say when pressed he expected it delivered within a month. Earlier the better for me. While in Florida, the Riveria Beach service center is 15 minutes away. Once I head up to CT in mid April, nothing is close. So I hope any issues can be remediated before then .
A month would still put you right in that 4 month confirmation window. That’d be great if they pull that off, while continuing to ramp up for the rest of us! Still possible to receive mine by the end of my 4 month window as well. Congrats!

Definitely looks like color is a big factor. I ordered in January, 2021, confirmed 11/17/21 and have not received a VIN, but I ordered Gray. I seriously doubt they will make the 4 month window for my order.

Just received phone call that I have been assigned a VIN. Ordered 4/21, confirmed 11/30/21. AGT Red.

Our first November 30th confirmation VIN assignment reported. Seems like they will absolutely miss the 2-4 month window for most people who did not order black, white, or red.

Just received phone call that I have been assigned a VIN. Ordered 4/21, confirmed 11/30/21. AGT Red.
Yup. Will have to wait on my Grey one. I reserved just before you, but confirmed a Grey instead of a red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back