First Impressions: Store Visit & Test Drive

L U C I D

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit the very nice (and large) new Lucid Showroom in Seattle.

1656915840821.png

Sophea and the team graciously gave my wife and I a thorough demo of the vehicles and we discussed all the various features, strengths and trim levels of the cars.

1656915905103.png

Also, even though they have a busy schedule with test drives, they were able to fit us in for a drive, which we greatly appreciated since we have only Touring and Pure reservations, and had just driven 2100 miles in a Model 3 cross country for our honeymoon.

Impressions:

This is the first time seeing the car in person, and both the exterior and interior design and quality exceeded expectations. The car feels more "solid" and well put together than photos might indicate.

1656915943306.png

Seeing the cars in three dimensions (and of course under the showroom lighting) gave us the opportunity to appreciate the nuances of the body work. The side of the car looks much sportier than I was expecting, with the lower indention in the side doors and the trim work along the base of the car. Very classy yet modern design.

1656915976601.png

The rear light bar containing the brake light and turn signals offers a lot of dimensionality that doesn't come through in photos. Great attention to detail and very unique.

1656916094739.png

We saw the Tahoe and Santa Cruz interiors, both very nice. Coming from Tesla that's to be expected, but I've also owned high-end Mercedes vehicles and I was very pleased, and actually prefer the Air interior finishes more. I much prefer the Lucid interiors to the Mercedes EQS vehicles that I've test driven.

1656916046531.png

The Santa Cruz wood trim is darker and a bit less saturated than in photos I've seen, and I liked it better in person. Santa Monica is still my favorite though. I wish we could still get that wood trim as an option.

1656916128260.png

Additionally, I compared the swatches of the Mojave and Mojave Purelux and I am impressed with the material choices for the Pure. Very similar and very nice. The Air Pure is going to be an incredible value.

We drove a white Grand Touring with 21" wheels. The test drive runs through a residential area so I'll caveat that we didn't get on the highway and only went 35, but I was quite impressed with the drive, even with 21"s.

1656916162469.png

As a point of comparison, I had 21" Arachnid wheels on a coil spring Model S, and the ride was a bit rough for me. The active dampers and other suspension magic from Lucid engineers made me realize that I could handle the 21s no problem, though I'm still going to wait for the 20"s.

The Air Grand Touring had a quieter interior, smoother suspension, and even stronger regen at the highest setting then my Teslas. (The more regen, the better). If you've been lucky enough to drive a Performance Tesla with track mode, the Air regen strength matched the Tesla track mode regen.

The A pillar is a bit larger than on the Teslas, but I didn't have any problems entering or exiting the car, which is great.

1656916205884.png

There's not much I would change with the vehicles. With over 100,000 miles driven across three Teslas, these are the only suggestions I have:

1. For taller drivers, the telescoping steering wheel needs to come out about one inch closer to the driver. I adjusted the settings, but it was still too far for me to relax my elbows against the armrests. I could move the seat closer, but I'm 6'3" and in my limited time, wasn't able to find a way to make it work.
  2. Software has a way to go. They're a new company, it will take time. I'm okay with that based on all the feedback, especially with 1.2.6 and nav improvements. I very much appreciate this community and input you have provided.
  3. Lucid needs to provide USB data access so those of us who don't like to stream music can play our music collection ripped from CDs. Yes, I'm dating myself, but I prefer higher fidelity FLAC than online sources.

1656916239262.png

Based on our visit, we will move forward with one, maybe two reservations. I'm still not a fan of the trunk seams so between white and grey, I'm going to choose the Quantum Grey/Santa Cruz interior but add the Mojave floor mats as many of you have suggested.

The Santa Cruz wood trim is darker and a bit less saturated than in photos I've seen, and I liked it better in person. Santa Monica is still my favorite though. I wish we could still get that wood trim as an option.

I, too, have found the photos of interiors a bit "off" from the cars I've seen in showrooms. In particular, I was a touch aggravated to find the Dream Edition offered only with the Santa Monica interior, as it looked particularly washed out in photos. However, it has turned out to be my favorite interior palette of all the cars I've owned. It's also the only car I've ever owned in which new passengers often bring up the beauty of the colors (and especially the silvered eucalyptus wood) upon getting into the car for the first time.

I'm already thinking ahead to the Gravity and/or the tri-motor Air and hoping they return the Santa Monica interior to the options list.

I, too, have found the photos of interiors a bit "off" from the cars I've seen in showrooms. In particular, I was a touch aggravated to find the Dream Edition offered only with the Santa Monica interior, as it looked particularly washed out in photos. However, it has turned out to be my favorite interior palette of all the cars I've owned. It's also the only car I've ever owned in which new passengers often bring up the beauty of the colors (and especially the silvered eucalyptus wood) upon getting into the car for the first time.

I'm already thinking ahead to the Gravity and/or the tri-motor Air and hoping they return the Santa Monica interior to the options list.
Same, on all counts.

There really is nothing like seeing these cars in person. Confirmed for me that Santa Cruz was the right choice. But Tahoe looks great in person, too.

Also, all of the exterior colors look better in person. (Haven’t seen Quantum Grey yet, but that one looks awesome, anyway.)

After the beating my rear has been taking from my kids, I'll skip on the Santa Monica/Santa Cruz in the Gravity and get something darker.

After the beating my rear has been taking from my kids, I'll skip on the Santa Monica/Santa Cruz in the Gravity and get something darker.
Although most of our rear passengers are silvertops, I still have to clean up the occasional mess. They say it’s the way I drive the car. I say they forgot to take their meds.

Another option I'm hopeful for is Lloyd's Mats, out of CA. They have a number of floor mat types. I've been using their "Luxe" line of mats for over a decade. These are the plushest, I'm guessing 1/2 inch pile mats, I've found. They don't seem to have mats for the Air yet but hopefully will at some point. They do have a variety of colors and will send you swatches to find a match.

So perhaps Santa Cruz will be more maintainable if I find a dark color that will match.

That noted, we are hopeful to sit in a Mojave interior before we confirm our first order since the darker colors are easier to maintain. I find monochromatic interiors a bit boring, but I'm intrigued by the numerous shades of grey in the Mojave swatches.

Another option I'm hopeful for is Lloyd's Mats, out of CA. They have a number of floor mat types. I've been using their "Luxe" line of mats for over a decade. These are the plushest, I'm guessing 1/2 inch pile mats, I've found. They don't seem to have mats for the Air yet but hopefully will at some point. They do have a variety of colors and will send you swatches to find a match.

So perhaps Santa Cruz will be more maintainable if I find a dark color that will match.

That noted, we are hopeful to sit in a Mojave interior before we confirm our first order since the darker colors are easier to maintain. I find monochromatic interiors a bit boring, but I'm intrigued by the numerous shades of grey in the Mojave swatches.
I contacted them to offer them the Air to make a template. They said the template department would contact me. Never happened!

I contacted them to offer them the Air to make a template. They said the template department would contact me. Never happened!
Nice job! Thank you.

I'll reach out to them as well to share my interest. Perhaps they are waiting on more demand.

Your kids will be adults by then so you can stick with the lighter color if you like it 😉.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to visit the very nice (and large) new Lucid Showroom in Seattle.

View attachment 3229

Sophea and the team graciously gave my wife and I a thorough demo of the vehicles and we discussed all the various features, strengths and trim levels of the cars.

View attachment 3230

Also, even though they have a busy schedule with test drives, they were able to fit us in for a drive, which we greatly appreciated since we have only Touring and Pure reservations, and had just driven 2100 miles in a Model 3 cross country for our honeymoon.

Impressions:

This is the first time seeing the car in person, and both the exterior and interior design and quality exceeded expectations. The car feels more "solid" and well put together than photos might indicate.

View attachment 3231

Seeing the cars in three dimensions (and of course under the showroom lighting) gave us the opportunity to appreciate the nuances of the body work. The side of the car looks much sportier than I was expecting, with the lower indention in the side doors and the trim work along the base of the car. Very classy yet modern design.

View attachment 3232

The rear light bar containing the brake light and turn signals offers a lot of dimensionality that doesn't come through in photos. Great attention to detail and very unique.

View attachment 3234

We saw the Tahoe and Santa Cruz interiors, both very nice. Coming from Tesla that's to be expected, but I've also owned high-end Mercedes vehicles and I was very pleased, and actually prefer the Air interior finishes more. I much prefer the Lucid interiors to the Mercedes EQS vehicles that I've test driven.

View attachment 3233

View attachment 3235

Additionally, I compared the swatches of the Mojave and Mojave Purelux and I am impressed with the material choices for the Pure. Very similar and very nice. The Air Pure is going to be an incredible value.

We drove a white Grand Touring with 21" wheels. The test drive runs through a residential area so I'll caveat that we didn't get on the highway and only went 35, but I was quite impressed with the drive, even with 21"s.

View attachment 3236

As a point of comparison, I had 21" Arachnid wheels on a coil spring Model S, and the ride was a bit rough for me. The active dampers and other suspension magic from Lucid engineers made me realize that I could handle the 21s no problem, though I'm still going to wait for the 20"s.

The Air Grand Touring had a quieter interior, smoother suspension, and even stronger regen at the highest setting then my Teslas. (The more regen, the better). If you've been lucky enough to drive a Performance Tesla with track mode, the Air regen strength matched the Tesla track mode regen.

The A pillar is a bit larger than on the Teslas, but I didn't have any problems entering or exiting the car, which is great.

View attachment 3237

There's not much I would change with the vehicles. With over 100,000 miles driven across three Teslas, these are the only suggestions I have:

1. For taller drivers, the telescoping steering wheel needs to come out about one inch closer to the driver. I adjusted the settings, but it was still too far for me to relax my elbows against the armrests. I could move the seat closer, but I'm 6'3" and in my limited time, wasn't able to find a way to make it work.
  2. Software has a way to go. They're a new company, it will take time. I'm okay with that based on all the feedback, especially with 1.2.6 and nav improvements. I very much appreciate this community and input you have provided.
  3. Lucid needs to provide USB data access so those of us who don't like to stream music can play our music collection ripped from CDs. Yes, I'm dating myself, but I prefer higher fidelity FLAC than online sources.

View attachment 3238

Based on our visit, we will move forward with one, maybe two reservations. I'm still not a fan of the trunk seams so between white and grey, I'm going to choose the Quantum Grey/Santa Cruz interior but add the Mojave floor mats as many of you have suggested.
I have trouble reaching ATM's and drive-throughs because the belt-line is high and the roof low. I am 5'10" so not sure if being 6'3" will help or hurt in this situation.

It would be funny to do another test drive and ask for a drive-thru test.

I have trouble reaching ATM's and drive-throughs because the belt-line is high and the roof low. I am 5'10" so not sure if being 6'3" will help or hurt in this situation.
what matters is how long your torso and arms are!

I just reached out to Lloyds mats, too. They look like very high quality. I suggest other members check them out https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/

What I do on my DD is fold the mirrors so I can drive close to the ATM. I am only 5'7" (used to be 5'8") so I don't know if that makes a difference.

It would be funny to do another test drive and ask for a drive-thru test.
The mirrors are about 1” below the Starbucks drive thru haha, I got very close once by accident!

I just reached out to Lloyds mats, too. They look like very high quality. I suggest other members check them out https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/
I have Kagu 3D floor liners on my 2015 Mini Cooper S hardtop. They are by far the best floor coverings I've ever seen - very tight tolerances and an exceptional fit. I have Hexomats on several cars; the Kagu is better. I've contacted them to see if they are interested or planning to manufacture a set for the Lucid. Check their website: https://3dmatsusa.com/products/kagu-floor-liner

Just received this response from 3D Mats USA:

Hi there.

Thank you for your compliment.

Lucid Air has recently been scanned, under (R&D) phase. Will take 7-9 months for products to arrive.

Thank you.

I have Kagu 3D floor liners on my 2015 Mini Cooper S hardtop. They are by far the best floor coverings I've ever seen - very tight tolerances and an exceptional fit. I have Hexomats on several cars; the Kagu is better. I've contacted them to see if they are interested or planning to manufacture a set for the Lucid. Check their website: https://3dmatsusa.com/products/kagu-floor-liner
Looks excellent - thanks for passing on the tip!

Back