Motor's noise

svl

Lucid owners,

Sorry if it was discussed previously. I'm looking to purchase an Air, and last weekend I had a chance to test drive Air Pure which is on sale by owner. However, when we did a short test drive, there is annoying sound which owner describes as coming from electric motor. But it is quite noticeable (no music was playing). Even backing up from driveway at very slow speed, we can hear it well.
In contrast, we did a demo drive of Tesla Y and when backing up on driveway, I don't recall such sound.

So, I'm curious if this was some particular car's issue or it is a general observation when driving Lucid Air?

Thank you.

This is a general feature of Lucids. I believe it is by design - letting the powerful motor sound through into the cabin just like makers do with their big, powerful V12s or V8s. Most of us get used to it, some of us love it. It definitely isn't noticeable over music. Tesla puts a lot of soundproofing around their motors to muffle the sound, but as a "driver's car," I suspect Lucid intentionally didn't do this.

This is a general feature of Lucids. I believe it is by design - letting the powerful motor sound through into the cabin just like makers do with their big, powerful V12s or V8s. Most of us get used to it, some of us love it. It definitely isn't noticeable over music. Tesla puts a lot of soundproofing around their motors to muffle the sound, but as a "driver's car," I suspect Lucid intentionally didn't do this.
Thank you!

Consider the motor whine as a safety feature as well. When a Lucid is behind people walking around, they will notice that a car is behind them.

Consider the motor whine as a safety feature as well. When a Lucid is behind people walking around, they will notice that a car is behind them.
The projected spaceship sound is more for that. I've still managed to sneak up on people though.

Lucid owners,

Sorry if it was discussed previously. I'm looking to purchase an Air, and last weekend I had a chance to test drive Air Pure which is on sale by owner. However, when we did a short test drive, there is annoying sound which owner describes as coming from electric motor. But it is quite noticeable (no music was playing). Even backing up from driveway at very slow speed, we can hear it well.
In contrast, we did a demo drive of Tesla Y and when backing up on driveway, I don't recall such sound.

So, I'm curious if this was some particular car's issue or it is a general observation when driving Lucid Air?

Thank you.

Lol my wife hates the motor whine when she rides with me in it. It's on all of them. I don't mind it too much, but when the cabin is so quiet, it kinda stands out a bit much. Also, it disappears above ~40mph, so if you're cruising down the freeway, you won't hear it at all. It's just at city speeds when you'll notice it

At lower speeds you notice it more and once you are over 45mph you wont notice the sound.
Cabin is too quite that you hear Motor noise more compared to Tesla since road, tire and external noises overpower the motor noise :D.
Believe me I couldn’t stand the Noises inside Tesla and sold it solely for that reason. My opinion is a 10k car cabin is more quieter than Tesla 3 or Y, no experience with S or X.

It is something that bothered me at first. A few months into owning the car, I never hear it anymore. Unless you absolutely can't stand the noise I wouldn't worry about it.

Lucid owners,

Thank you.
Teslas have a noise when backing up. Its incredibly annoying. I think they have the worst backup sound in the EV gang. Should note that all EVs have to generate some noise at low speeds/in reverse to ensure it meets with safety requirements.

Ford/Hyundai/Kia/Genesis/Chevy all have Ding noises when backing up like soft semi trucks. Tesla has a WHRRRRRRRRR noise. So does Rivian. Porsche/Audi have more motorish noises.

One thing I wish Lucid did was allow you to turn off the engine accelerate whine but i do like it and in all my EVs, I've always kept it on or accentuated it. Made me feel like I was moving at warp speed.

• Hmm
Reactions: DBV
Teslas have a noise when backing up. Its incredibly annoying. I think they have the worst backup sound in the EV gang. Should note that all EVs have to generate some noise at low speeds/in reverse to ensure it meets with safety requirements.

Ford/Hyundai/Kia/Genesis/Chevy all have Ding noises when backing up like soft semi trucks. Tesla has a WHRRRRRRRRR noise. So does Rivian. Porsche/Audi have more motorish noises.

One thing I wish Lucid did was allow you to turn off the engine accelerate whine but i do like it and in all my EVs, I've always kept it on or accentuated it. Made me feel like I was moving at warp speed.
Well the Lucid one is the actual motor whine and not artificial so turning that off unless they insulate it more.

I wanted to point out that the motor whine is only from the front motor. If the Air Pure the OP drove was an AWD then there would be motor whine. If it’s a rear wheel drive, then there should not be any front motor whine, since there is no front motor.

I wanted to point out that the motor whine is only from the front motor. If the Air Pure the OP drove was an AWD then there would be motor whine. If it’s a rear wheel drive, then there should not be any front motor whine, since there is no front motor.
I can confirm after having driven the Pure RWD today, that it is amazingly quiet. @svl , you'll definitely want to try out a Pure RWD.

I don't mind the motor whine. However, the decision to purposely have motor noise makes city driving frustrating because the noise level is variable and the audio levels need constant adjustments. It is a small thing but it's really my only gripe about the car. Please, Lucid, give us some type of audio pilot to fix this

I don't mind the motor whine. However, the decision to purposely have motor noise makes city driving frustrating because the noise level is variable and the audio levels need constant adjustments. It is a small thing but it's really my only gripe about the car. Please, Lucid, give us some type of audio pilot to fix this
The only way to fix it is with noise dampening and /or active cancellation

The only way to fix it is with noise dampening and /or active cancellation
Unrelated to the Air, but I hope they silence the front motor on the Gravity, although early indications with the prototypes doesn’t give us much hope.

I love the front motor whine. It is intentional, not a flaw. There are extensive posts on the topic on this forum from well over a year ago.

Yes!!! How many people would get hit if that noise wasn’t there? 🙈
curious if this was some particular car's issue or it is a general observation when driving Lucid Air?
hopefully that’s the noise you’re speaking about.Did you ask the owner what it was?

The motor whine is different than the federally mandated pedestrian sound the car makes. One is heard more within the car and the other outside the car.

Back