Electrify America on road trips

steveairgt

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
83YOVHQD
Hi,
Many of us former/current Tesla owners are accustomed to the Tesla Supercharger network and how extensive it is when traveling away from home.
One of the benefits is that usually there are 8-12 chargers at a supercharger site.

Is this true for Electrify America? For example when I drive from Atlanta to NYC or Indianapolis or Florida, I never have an issue getting a charger.

Are Electrify America locations like that?

Can somone who has experienced this please clarify?
thanks

Hi,
Many of us former/current Tesla owners are accustomed to the Tesla Supercharger network and how extensive it is when traveling away from home.
One of the benefits is that usually there are 8-12 chargers at a supercharger site.

Is this true for Electrify America? For example when I drive from Atlanta to NYC or Indianapolis or Florida, I never have an issue getting a charger.

thanks
The Electrify America app will let you look at the number of chargers at each location. Might be helpful to check along your usual routes in the app. Around here (MN), Electrify America has little presence but seem to be in the 4 to 8 charger territory (4 being more common).

Also important to remember, with the port that Lucid has provided, you are not limited to just ElectrifyAmerica chargers. Although it's nice to have free charging, a normal charger costs an average of $1.50 per hour for an L2 charger to about $12 per hour for L3.

Here’s what I posted on another thread:
I've been planning my 1300 mile from south florida to CT next month. I've used ABRB and EA apps mostly. But, having a bit of ADHD, I've also mapped out each EA stop that I might use, and yes I have a spreadsheet. 21 in all. And have monitored each location's availability 4 times so far (many more to come) to see where I might run into trouble. So far, not one location has had 0 chargers available. There's been a couple with 1 stall but that's as close as I've seen. And the 10 charger locations seem to never have more than 1 or 2 in use. I have noticed that once a charger is unavailable (broken) it takes a while till it is fixed. I haven't seen one fixed yet in 10 days of looking.

Also important to remember, with the port that Lucid has provided, you are not limited to just ElectrifyAmerica chargers. Although it's nice to have free charging, a normal charger costs an average of $1.50 per hour for an L2 charger to about $12 per hour for L3.

Excellent topic. EA seems to be the gold standard for non Tesla charging but there’s only about 800 locations across the country (each one has several individual chargers). They might be mostly empty now but that will change quickly as more EVs are sold. My question is who will ensure the infrastructure of EA chargers keeps pace with the number of EVs on the road? Tesla at least has the advantage of owning their own network so in theory they can closely monitor the correlation between number of cars sold to number of chargers in a given area. Hopefully the infrastructure bill will help increase availability and standardize the types if chargers.

Excellent topic. EA seems to be the gold standard for non Tesla charging but there’s only about 800 locations across the country (each one has several individual chargers). They might be mostly empty now but that will change quickly as more EVs are sold. My question is who will ensure the infrastructure of EA chargers keeps pace with the number of EVs on the road? Tesla at least has the advantage of owning their own network so in theory they can closely monitor the correlation between number of cars sold to number of chargers in a given area. Hopefully the infrastructure bill will help increase availability and standardize the types if chargers.
This is the reason you have the three major charging apps on your phone, the cord to connect into a 14-50 plug and a Tesla Tap all in the frunk! 😊

Hi,

thanks
You are better of searching your route on electrify American website/app.

There are usually 4 spots at EA where I live. Some more, some less.

You can also us an app like A better route planner or something similar.

You’re sorely mistaken if you think the EA chargers sit empty now. If you’re doing a road trip during the week they’re not as full but try and use them on weekends and you’ll be waiting in line for sure.

The one closest to my house is at a Walmart and it’s always full when I drive past it no matter what day of the week. It also has only 1 x 350Kw charger that is always taken by ioniqs

You’re sorely mistaken if you think the EA chargers sit empty now. If you’re doing a road trip during the week they’re not as full but try and use them on weekends and you’ll be waiting in line for sure.

The one closest to my house is at a Walmart and it’s always full when I drive past it no matter what day of the week. It also has only 1 x 350Kw charger that is always taken by ioniqs
Sounds like the struggle of living in California. There’s an EA charger at every Target here and they’re always empty. weekend or not. (Chicago)

Only one EA charger in Charlotte and it is 30 minutes away in a part of town I never go to. The next closest is over an hour away in Greensboro, NC and then a host in various directions 2 hours away. The southeast is not exactly ready for a major influx of EV's. There are other providers, but they really aren't any more prolific.

There seem to be zero in NYC...

download.png

Even though we get 3 years of free charging what account do you sign up for on EA? I assume the Pass and not Pass+?

Also since I charge at home (on my current Tesla and later with my AGT) I would never use a local (SC or EA) charger even though there are several within a few miles of my house. I only use them while traveling on road trips. In those cases I’ll depend on either Tesla’s navigation or the ABRP app.

I’ll look now to see how the ABRP app works with Lucid.

Even though we get 3 years of free charging what account do you sign up for on EA? I assume the Pass and not Pass+?

Also since I charge at home (on my current Tesla and later with my AGT) I would never use a local (SC or EA) charger even though there are several within a few miles of my house. I only use them while traveling on road trips. In those cases I’ll depend on either Tesla’s navigation or the ABRP app.

I’ll look now to see how the ABRP app works with Lucid.
EA charging is done through Lucid and the Lucid app. You don't sign up for anything

EA chargers are the only one really fast chargers i.e. 150-350Kw, almost all others are L2, will be hard pressed to find DC fast charger's otherwise

I’ll be taking a long road trip, about 6000 miles going across the country and back, with my GT assuming it arrives by then (my DA promised it would be delivered by the day before the trip, lol). I will let you know how the EA chargers are performing and the wait times I have with them

There seem to be zero in NYC...

View attachment 1850
I believe that’s correct. I always used the Tesla charger in my public garage when I would stay in NYC. And if I bring the Lucid in, I’d just bring the TeslaTap converter. I don’t know how NYC really will handle an influx of EV’s. Lot’s of talk but none of it seems practical.

I’ll be taking a long road trip, about 6000 miles going across the country and back, with my GT assuming it arrives by then (my DA promised it would be delivered by the day before the trip, lol). I will let you know how the EA chargers are performing and the wait times I have with them
This will be an excellent test of whether there is a break-in period. If your efficiency/range increases at some point during your trip and stays at the higher level, it backs up other people's reports of increased efficiency after X thousand miles. Given reports of lower than expected efficiency by most owners during the first few thousand miles, what are you using as a range guess in planning out your charging stops?

EA charging is done through Lucid and the Lucid app. You don't sign up for anything
The first time I used an EA charger, I had to get their tech support to link the car to my account. After that, I just plugged in and the charger did the rest. BTW, the EA tech support was very good.

Back