Electrify America on road trips

I Went out anyway, entree not here yet. Caught it at exact stopping point. The stars aligned.
That's great. I didn't know the "idle fees" were waived for us but I agree once charged it should be removed even if there are free stalls.

That's great. I didn't know the "idle fees" were waived for us but I agree once charged it should be removed even if there are free stalls.
Yes- that is strange it is waived. Seems like it could start to encourage bad EV etiquette. Won’t be much of a problem now but once larger numbers of Lucids are in customers’ hands seems like the policy will just add uneccesary stress on the charging infrastructure.

Does EA tell you when you are done? Charging for my first time on EA. I m at dinner and no I won’t make it back in time( only one other car charging at 8 stalls though) any penalty leaving it plugged in like Tesla?
I’ve been in this situation … and opened the app, changed the charge level from “daily” to 90% and enjoyed the rest of my food.

I think we’ll be paying idle fees when Lucid sorts out payment processing in the App. They’ll need a processing backend set up to bill plug and charge sessions and clearly it’s not ready yet.

I think we’ll be paying idle fees when Lucid sorts out payment processing in the App. They’ll need a processing backend set up to bill plug and charge sessions and clearly it’s not ready yet.
This is correct.

Also, you do get a push notification when it has completed charging, from the Lucid app.

Only one EA charger in Charlotte and it is 30 minutes away in a part of town I never go to. The next closest is over an hour away in Greensboro, NC and then a host in various directions 2 hours away. The southeast is not exactly ready for a major influx of EV's. There are other providers, but they really aren't any more prolific.
Your remark about only 1 EA charger in Charlotte may be misinterpreted by some. There is only one EA charging location in Charlotte, but there are 10 charging stations at that location, about the largest there is compared to other locations that mostly have only four charging stations. Why they put 10 charging stations in one location instead of spreading it around to other locations in Charlotte is a mystery to me. What ticks me off about it too is that there is only one 350KW charging station among the ten. WTF? Some of the small 4 charging station sites have 2 350KW chargers but only one at the location in Charlotte? They should have at least 3 350KW charging stations. Another thing that ticks me off is that Atlanta, 3 hrs. down the road, with no Lucid studios or service center, has 20 EA charging sites with close to 100 charging stations. EA is treating Charlotte like some small country town along the Interstate when it has the intersection of 2 interstate highways (77 and 85) in the middle of the city. I think EA needs to be petitioned to add more charging stations in the Charlotte area. Hear that EA??

I've been doing route planning for several road trips out of South Florida. EA coverage is pretty good if you stay on the major interstates, but it thins out quickly along even major non-interstate routes. In driving from Naples, FL to Asheville, NC, for instance, there are two legs where the distances between EA charge stations are well over 200 miles. With the Lucid's range, that's fine . . . unless you arrive at a station that is not functioning, which is not an unheard-of event at an EA charger.

Even though our Model S Plaid has significantly less range, we're considering taking it for the trip as Tesla Superchargers are now so ubiquitous (at least outside of places such as the Dakotas and northern New England) that you don't even have to do any route planning. You just get in the car and drive until you need to charge.
or just get a TeslaTap, take the Lucid and plug into a tesla destination charger :)

Thanks, I will send them a suggestion ASAP. I wonder if they will be able to modify the charging stations to upgrade from 150 KW to 350 KW stations as well.
Most likely not since they are actually moving away from putting in 350

Most likely not since they are actually moving away from putting in 350
I actually thinks that makes sense. The majority of people charging at EA are locals.

I think when EV adoptions goes more mainstream the focus is going to be on an abundance of level 2 chargers at home and workplaces. With fast charger being on the highway and in certain locations. Right now EA is building on spot that would be better served by level more level 2 chargers (shopping malls, department stores). Level 3 fast chargers are best positioned closer to the highway. If EA builds a lot of 350 kW chargers on parking lots that seems inefficient to me.

Thanks, I will send them a suggestion ASAP. I wonder if they will be able to modify the charging stations to upgrade from 150 KW to 350 KW stations as well.
Would rather they add more stations at a site than upgrade the stations to 350kW. Not much difference in speed but 150kW will DEFINITELY be faster if you are not waiting for an empty stall.

I actually thinks that makes sense. The majority of people charging at EA are locals.

I think when EV adoptions goes more mainstream the focus is going to be on an abundance of level 2 chargers at home and workplaces. With fast charger being on the highway and in certain locations. Right now EA is building on spot that would be better served by level more level 2 chargers (shopping malls, department stores). Level 3 fast chargers are best positioned closer to the highway. If EA builds a lot of 350 kW chargers on parking lots that seems inefficient to me.
The charging stations in Charlotte are within a five minute drive from I-85 in a Walmart parking lot, and I believe the EA location was selected to serve travelers on I-85. With only one 350KW charging station it appears to not serve travelers looking for a faster charge. They do have 7 150 KW stations, so someone only has to stay about 6 minutes longer to fully charge compared to the 350Kw charger, according to tests conducted on charging times.

The charging stations in Charlotte are within a five minute drive from I-85 in a Walmart parking lot, and I believe the EA location was selected to serve travelers on I-85. With only one 350KW charging station it appears to not serve travelers looking for a faster charge. They do have 7 150 KW stations, so someone only has to stay about 6 minutes longer to fully charge compared to the 350Kw charger, according to tests conducted on charging times.
Considering the vast majority of EVs are not capable of utilizing the 350, makes sense to use 150. Not like companies are good at future proofing anything haha

Level 3 chargers are considerably less expensive to install and operate where there is already a large electrical capacity and peak demand in place - at warehouse-style stores or shopping malls. Ideally it's near a highway, but that isn't the primary factor that determines the feasibility of an installation. Electric utilities bill for power to businesses not only on the amount of the usage, but also on the peak usage rate. A bank of eight 150/350kW stations at a small retail location (gas station) would require a big electrical upgrade and incur high ongoing costs from peak demand surcharges. EA is adding storage batteries to some new charging stations to mitigate these peak demand charges.

For now the emphasis is on building out EV highway corridors to enable long trips. After this is fairly complete, the emphasis and money will shift to neighborhood charging installations to simplify EV ownership by renters.

Unfortunately, that suggestion site for EA chargers is for businesses who want to have an EA charging station installed at their business (such as Walmart, Target, etc.). It doesn't accept global suggestions like I wanted to provide.

Unfortunately, that suggestion site for EA chargers is for businesses who want to have an EA charging station installed at their business (such as Walmart, Target, etc.). It doesn't accept global suggestions like I wanted to provide.
I submitted a request through it once. Twitter, Instagram and Facebook are definitely aimed at the consumer level. People frequently make suggestions there and get a response along the lines of "forwarded to the planning team".

Level 3 chargers are considerably less expensive to install and operate where there is already a large electrical capacity and peak demand in place - at warehouse-style stores or shopping malls. Ideally it's near a highway, but that isn't the primary factor that determines the feasibility of an installation. Electric utilities bill for power to businesses not only on the amount of the usage, but also on the peak usage rate. A bank of eight 150/350kW stations at a small retail location (gas station) would require a big electrical upgrade and incur high ongoing costs from peak demand surcharges. EA is adding storage batteries to some new charging stations to mitigate these peak demand charges.

For now the emphasis is on building out EV highway corridors to enable long trips. After this is fairly complete, the emphasis and money will shift to neighborhood charging installations to simplify EV ownership by renters.
I wondered why EA started there. It made more sense to me for gas station to convert to charging stations eventually.

It makes that that they would start where it was easy and more feasible and then expand out.

I wondered why EA started there. It made more sense to me for gas station to convert to charging stations eventually.

It makes that that they would start where it was easy and more feasible and then expand out.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that. I think the local gas station will seize to exist in the future, and they will not be converted to electric charging stations. Why? We only have local gas stations now because owners of ICE cars do not have gas storage tanks to pump gas at home (rural farms excepted). They have to go to a gas station. Electric Vehicles only need to be plugged in at home, a readymade electric "storage tank". They don't need to go to a local charging station and pay higher rates either. As stated by others on this thread, charging stations along Interstates and other main highways will increase and some in combination with gas stations, but the gas stations will begin to fade away over time as EVs take over. Twenty years from now ICE car owners will have trouble finding gas stations as much as EVs do now finding charging stations. And with the evolution of EV solid state batteries capable of charging intervals in excess of 1000 mi. and fully charging in less than 5 minutes, there will be an even less need for charging stations all over the place.

This will be an excellent test of whether there is a break-in period.
Do we think this putative "break-in period" reflects some chemical process within the battery pack, or simply that the range prediction algorithm is learning your driving habits?

Back