• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Electrify America is enraging EV owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my infrequent stops in the Manchester, NH, EA station - only 1 of 4 stations was open (a 150 kW). One of the cables wouldn't connect and got stuck in the charging port (twice) and I had to manually release it. I switched to the other cable on the station and it connected, I acknowledge EA in the App (happens more frequently now), and I got about 140 kW at 35% battery with preconditioning. I came back to the car about 25 minutes later to find someone (Ioniq 5) had parked in the non-charging parking space on the passenger's side of my car, took the other cable and draped it over my hood and could not get the charger working. I politely explained that only one cable per charging station would work, but I don't think they believed me. I said the person at the charger on the other side of me was leaving and had her move her car to an EV charging spot. I (politly) said that charging etiquette is not to drape charging cables over someone else's car. Not a very sincere apology ensued. I really wish they would not give keys/fobs/phone keys to people until they sit and watch some basic video on how to charge a car. Not a bad drive - temps around 40 degrees, highway driving (55-75 mph) in some serious rain at times, and my efficiency for the day was 3.3.
As for charging etiquette, thoughts on unplugging and using the station of an abandoned EV that's been at full charge for over 10 min?

As for charging etiquette, thoughts on unplugging and using the station of an abandoned EV that's been at full charge for over 10 min?
Usually, if the door is locked, you can’t disconnect the cable, anyway.

Usually, if the door is locked, you can’t disconnect the cable, anyway.
I was waiting for a station in Los Gatos near my house (my de facto gas station since we're renters with no home charger options) and a mach e was well past 10 min on full. I was actually able to unplug their vehicle, much to my surprise, and even waited for the first 30 min of my charge to explain/apologize for any offense taken. 100% charge and 60 min later, they still never showed, and my car has yet to be keyed on doused in blood at that station months since.

I was waiting for a station in Los Gatos near my house (my de facto gas station since we're renters with no home charger options) and a mach e was well past 10 min on full. I was actually able to unplug their vehicle, much to my surprise, and even waited for the first 30 min of my charge to explain/apologize for any offense taken. 100% charge and 60 min later, they still never showed, and my car has yet to be keyed on doused in blood at that station months since.
That's perfectly fine IMO, screw those people.

What EA should do is what Tesla does. It should charge the owner of a vechile who does not come back within 10 minutes of a full charge ten dollars for every minute the car is left. That will cure anyone who thinks it’s okay to leave their car after a full charge.

What EA should do is what Tesla does. It should charge the owner of a vechile who does not come back within 10 minutes of a full charge ten dollars for every minute the car is left. That will cure anyone who thinks it’s okay to leave their car after a full charge.
EA has begun charging idle fees at some locations.

Even better, and to make it more egalitarian, they should just start removing charge from your battery. Maybe donate it to the grid or something.

I’d drag them across their car
Gym days paying off I see?

Very reasonable! If it is full, why stay at it for longer? The fact that you waited to apologize even though it would have been fine without it is a very nice gesture!

Last edited:
EA has begun charging idle fees at some locations.
any idea how much they charge? the Chargepoint near my place charges $5/hr extra after the 4hr limit which is probably nothing for an EV owner. they don't even charge the full $5. i.e, if you're late by 10mins, they only charge 83cents.

any idea how much they charge? the Chargepoint near my place charges $5/hr extra after the 4hr limit which is probably nothing for an EV owner. they don't even charge the full $5. i.e, if you're late by 10mins, they only charge 83cents.
Idle fees.jpg

Looks like $0.40/minute, but I imagine it may vary with time and/or location.

I agree, leaving one's car hogging a charger is unforgivable. However, so is receiving the repeated message something akin to: Charging speed slowed by charger. This is absolute nonsense. Twice I pulled up to so-called "Hyper 350kw" chargers and reached a max speed of 125, which quickly feel to 100, and ultimately to about 60. And yes, my Lucid Touring was fully pre-conditioned. We were in a hurry to Christmas dinner, but we sat at the charger for 40 minutes for a 65 percent charge. Maybe we should penalize EA 40 cents a minute for throttling charging speed.

I am sure they were both getting free charge from the manufacturer. Both did not look loke they needed the 100% charge for a long trip.

People just dont get it. Besides not being good for the battery, the extra 30 to 40 minutes to charge from 80% to 100% is about a cost of $2 dollars charging at home given our $0.16 cent per kw charge from our utility company. Even if you don't have level 2, just plug in at 120v to top it off at home overnight. Come on now.

Yeah I think the free charging "perk" is actively harming the ecosystem today. EA already doesn't have enough functioning stalls. Giving out free charge to new EV owners further increases the demand when the supply can't keep up, and it's just making road trips more stressful/annoying.

I agree, leaving one's car hogging a charger is unforgivable. However, so is receiving the repeated message something akin to: Charging speed slowed by charger. This is absolute nonsense. Twice I pulled up to so-called "Hyper 350kw" chargers and reached a max speed of 125, which quickly feel to 100, and ultimately to about 60. And yes, my Lucid Touring was fully pre-conditioned. We were in a hurry to Christmas dinner, but we sat at the charger for 40 minutes for a 65 percent charge. Maybe we should penalize EA 40 cents a minute for throttling charging speed.
It's worth doing a little research into charging curves and how they work. A 350 kw charger doesn't mean it just spews out 350 kw to any car at any point along its SoC.

For starters, your Touring is going to max out at about 225 kw, no matter how fast the charger is. And it will slow significantly as the battery fills up. This is totally normal.

It looks like your charging experience was slower than it should have been. But not by as much as you think. Tons of factors could have played into that. Weather. The charger itself. A communication problem between the car and the charger. Whether that charger was sharing its load with the charger next to it. And on and on.

Totally agree and also limit charging to 80% in peak charging periods. Tesla Superchargers do that too and that works really well. No reason that EA should not be doing that stuff.

I think EA charges Hyundai/Kia/Genesis owners after a 10 min grace period past the 30min. I am not sure how much it is. We promptly unplugged exactly after 30min to be polite when we saw a car waiting. I came out of Walmart to unplug it while my wife shopping.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/2024IONIQ5ChargingPlan-disclosure/ "Charging after the initial 30 minutes on a DC Fast charger or the initial 60 minutes at a Level 2 charger continues at prevailing Pass pricing (idle fees and applicable taxes not included). Complimentary charging time does not include any idle fees or applicable taxes assessed at the charging station. You will be responsible for paying such fees through your account if you incur them during a charging session. There is a 60-minute waiting period between eligible charging sessions, and the promotion benefits will not apply to a charging session initiated within this period." No clear statement of idle fees. I guess that can vary from location to location and time of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back