Door Lock/Unlock Timing

4givingGuy

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT - Stealth
While there are some threads about the door locking and unlocking experience/proximity sensor, I’ve not found a clear concern about timing…although @Bobby discussed locking/unlocking logic. https://lucidowners.com/threads/locking-and-unlocking-logic.6003/

Currently, when approaching with Mobile Key or Fob if passive unlock is DISABLED, there is an awkward lag (3-5 seconds on average) from handle push to unlocking. This is just too sluggish, particularly in inclement weather.

Conversely, with passive locking ENABLED, the time to lock is so quick that basic car unloading gets low-key stressful, particularly if you have to snag items from the trunk or frunk + passenger compartments and travel to/from the garage to unloading area out of sensor range.

I’d like to see options for reduced time to unlock AND a longer time to lock. Most of us aren’t in crime-ridden areas where the car needs to lock within 10 seconds of walking away. Perhaps a Chill Mode for locking? Car auto locks after 90s of no fob/mobile key?

Programmed GPS ‘safe’ zones could also solve this experience.

While there are some threads about the door locking and unlocking experience/proximity sensor, I’ve not found a clear concern about timing…although @Bobby discussed locking/unlocking logic. https://lucidowners.com/threads/locking-and-unlocking-logic.6003/

Currently, when approaching with Mobile Key or Fob if passive unlock is DISABLED, there is an awkward lag (3-5 seconds on average) from handle push to unlocking. This is just too sluggish, particularly in inclement weather.

Conversely, with passive locking ENABLED, the time to lock is so quick that basic car unloading gets low-key stressful, particularly if you have to snag items from the trunk or frunk + passenger compartments and travel to/from the garage to unloading area out of sensor range.

I’d like to see options for reduced time to unlock AND a longer time to lock. Most of us aren’t in crime-ridden areas where the car needs to lock within 10 seconds of walking away. Perhaps a Chill Mode for locking? Car auto locks after 90s of no fob/mobile key?

Programmed GPS ‘safe’ zones could also solve this experience.
I 100% agree with this recommendation. I just got my car a few weeks ago and I’m shocked that the car keeps locking from when I close my trunk to getting to the front door. I then need to take out my phone, usually buried in a bag, open the app (the app doesn’t always register that I’m near the car without having it open) and then it unlocks. Feels like a basic thing to keep the door unlocked for a luxury car?

I 100% agree with this recommendation. I just got my car a few weeks ago and I’m shocked that the car keeps locking from when I close my trunk to getting to the front door. I then need to take out my phone, usually buried in a bag, open the app (the app doesn’t always register that I’m near the car without having it open) and then it unlocks. Feels like a basic thing to keep the door unlocked for a luxury car?
Hi, @Diane C. Thank you for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

The biggest gripe I have about the car is not about the car itself... but the key fob... it plain sucks.. and Android Pixel users also cannot get the app key to work right either... it's almost funny but the 50 dollar key fob dilutes the experience of a 80-130k car by at least 10k in my opinion.

The biggest gripe I have about the car is not about the car itself... but the key fob... it plain sucks.. and Android Pixel users also cannot get the app key to work right either... it's almost funny but the 50 dollar key fob dilutes the experience of a 80-130k car by at least 10k in my opinion.
A replacement fob is $200...just clarifying for correctness =)

A replacement fob is $200...just clarifying for correctness =)
Thanks! And by that token.. it cheapens the car 4 times over.. so I also correct my very scientific 10k to 40k now... 😊.. Very glad they didn't retain this style of key fob for the Gravity... Wonder if we would be able to trade in the Air key fob for the Gravity one...

Thanks! And by that token.. it cheapens the car 4 times over.. so I also correct my very scientific 10k to 40k now... 😊.. Very glad they didn't retain this style of key fob for the Gravity... Wonder if we would be able to trade in the Air key fob for the Gravity one...
Nope, they use different tech

I just got my Lucid Air 3 weeks ago. Very frustrated by the slow unlocking with mobile device. Yesterday in subfreezing temps, had to take my phone out of my pocket, open the lucid app and then press the handle a couple of times before it unlocked. Last week, it took me nearly 15 seconds for it to unlock with the mobile device.

I just got my Lucid Air 3 weeks ago. Very frustrated by the slow unlocking with mobile device. Yesterday in subfreezing temps, had to take my phone out of my pocket, open the lucid app and then press the handle a couple of times before it unlocked. Last week, it took me nearly 15 seconds for it to unlock with the mobile device.
What mobile device are you using?

Yeah, if Android it takes a bit for the car to wake up after opening the app. I've had better luck pinning the app on my Android phone but I still find myself checking to make sure the app is open and loading before heading into a parking lot. It's a pain but I still prefer it over carrying a fob.

This is really inconsistent between Lucids. Mine takes a long time to lock. I have time to load/unload anything I want, and walk away a good distance and wait a minute. I actually want it to lock faster. Unlocking used to happen 20 ft away, but now usually doesn't happen until I'm right next to the car. I normally have both the phone and the fob with me. I know for guys it's probably a hassle to have to carry the fob, but since I have a purse, the key fobs for the Lucid and my other car just live at the bottom of it.

I was traveling for 10 days. Came back and took me nearly a minute with the app to unlock. I guess going forward, I’ll have to use the key fob always.

Back