Doors painfully slow to unlock…

JerryG

Cars
Grand Touring
So it seems with every update it just gets worse, this morning it flat pissed me off! My car sometimes has quite a delay when I walk up to it before the doors will unlock and the handles will deploy. In the past I’ve taken my key and pushed once to “lock” and then wait and then it finally realizes I’m there and unlocks. Sometimes I can push on the door handles themselves and wait for a while and they will finally deploy. A few times this has happened in the rain where every wasted second waiting to get in the car is really annoying. This morning it just flat wouldn’t open, finally opened the mobile app on my phone, waited for the car to wake up, waited for the app to actually start working, then unlocked the doors in the app and waited and waited until they finally unlocked and the handles deployed. Literally took about 3 minutes, which to some may not seem like a long time, but if that’s what you think, go stand by your door and count to 180 before opening it and then realize how frustrating it actually is! Is anybody else having this issue? No, I haven’t called Lucid yet as I just needed to move the damn car so I could get my pickup out of the garage and didn’t want to wait on hold forever trying to get a tech on the phone and all the hassles that go with it.

Sounds like the battery in your key fob died. Try changing the battery and see if it works again.

Or join the dark side and switch to mobile key, then you won't need to worry about fob batteries.

The car allowed me to drive it once I finally got it open. This has been randomly happening for the last few months, sometimes works great. I wouldn’t think that would be a key battery?

The car allowed me to drive it once I finally got it open. This has been randomly happening for the last few months, sometimes works great. I wouldn’t think that would be a key battery?
Try a new battery. Are you using mobile key as well? Use one or the other.

Best choice is mobile phone as a key + key card in your wallet.

Additionally, make sure you use 1) a Duracell battery specifically labeled as “compatible with Apple AirTag” or 2) a Toshiba battery from Amazon

Otherwise you may get one that has bitterant coating which causes it’s own problems.

Further keep in mind that interference can cause a massive difference in unlock/lock timing

A key fob in my front shirt pocket by itself will unlock my car 6 feet before I get to it.

A key fob in my back pocket stuffed in there with my wallet will take 3-5 seconds after I reach the door to unlock the car.

I only use my mobile phone and not the key fob. Most times the car does not unlock when I walk up to it and I have to open the Lucid app on my phone and "wake up" my car for the doors to unlock. It doesn't take 2-3 minutes (more like 30 seconds), but shouldn't require me to open the app. Not what I would expect for a $100K car showcasing the car will "unlock as I approach".

I only use my mobile phone and not the key fob. Most times the car does not unlock when I walk up to it and I have to open the Lucid app on my phone and "wake up" my car for the doors to unlock. It doesn't take 2-3 minutes (more like 30 seconds), but shouldn't require me to open the app. Not what I would expect for a $100K car showcasing the car will "unlock as I approach".
What type of phone?

So it sounds like I am far from the only one having this problem..Absolutely unacceptable really. Having to wait in the rain is an unnecessary hassle, but what about a woman late at night in a less than desirable area? She needs to be able to rely on the ability to immediately unlock her doors as she gets there, and immediately lock them after getting in. Having to wait 30 seconds or more could truly be a matter of life and death.

So it sounds like I am far from the only one having this problem..Absolutely unacceptable really. Having to wait in the rain is an unnecessary hassle, but what about a woman late at night in a less than desirable area? She needs to be able to rely on the ability to immediately unlock her doors as she gets there, and immediately lock them after getting in. Having to wait 30 seconds or more could truly be a matter of life and death.
So, you have the fob in hand, and it's not opening for you automatically? Okay. But does clicking it twice not open it? If it does, I think that woman would be quite safe. Just a bit inconvenienced by having to do what every car owner has done since the dawn of key fobs.

If two clicks aren't opening the doors, either, then—as everyone here seems to agree—you have a dead fob. Either the battery, or the fob itself. Try the battery. If that doesn't work, make Lucid give you a new fob.

Whatever is causing the problem with your car not unlocking right is going to be a lot easier than you might think.

Start with a key fob battery first and let us know if it anything improves or not.

If you don't have a small screwdriver to open the key, order one at the same time.

If you insist on buying one from a local store ensure it's either 1) Duracell with "Compatible with Apple AirTags" on the packaging or 2) the same Toshiba CR 2032 I just linked on Amazon.

So, you have the fob in hand, and it's not opening for you automatically? Okay. But does clicking it twice not open it? If it does, I think that woman would be quite safe. Just a bit inconvenienced by having to do what every car owner has done since the dawn of key fobs.

If two clicks aren't opening the doors, either, then—as everyone here seems to agree—you have a dead fob. Either the battery, or the fob itself. Try the battery. If that doesn't work, make Lucid give you a new fob.
Well, I disagree with your first statement, I haven’t had to “click a button” in probably 15 yrs. This is the first car I’ve ever had a problem with since the advent of keyless entry going back to my first experience with it in my 2003 Mercedes. As far as a battery, I will give it a try simply because it’s cheap and easy, but this has been going on for several months, often works like it should, sometimes gives me problems. I would think a weak or dead battery would cause it to fail most of the time. I would also think it wouldn’t allow the car to drive, and might even pop up a message about key fob battery being low on the screen (several of my other cars do that, not sure if the Lucid has that ability or not)

Well, I disagree with your first statement, I haven’t had to “click a button” in probably 15 yrs. This is the first car I’ve ever had a problem with since the advent of keyless entry going back to my first experience with it in my 2003 Mercedes. As far as a battery, I will give it a try simply because it’s cheap and easy, but this has been going on for several months, often works like it should, sometimes gives me problems. I would think a weak or dead battery would cause it to fail most of the time. I would also think it wouldn’t allow the car to drive, and might even pop up a message about key fob battery being low on the screen (several of my other cars do that, not sure if the Lucid has that ability or not)
But you get my point, right?

You painted a rather harrowing picture of a woman being in grave danger not being able to get into the car, while neglecting the simple fact that a double click on the fob would let her in immediately. Just because you choose to stand in the rain for 30 seconds rather than clicking the fob doesn't mean you have to get wet. You are choosing that.

We all agree the auto unlock should work consistently. Mine does about 99.9% of the time. I hope you can get to the bottom of why yours isn't. But there may be a deeper issue here if even clicking doesn't work.

There really could be something wrong with your fob. Or the antennas in the car. In which case, after the battery test, if a double click still doesn't open the doors, I would definitely contact customer care and ask them to take a look.

Jerry you're driving a car from a brand new car company, dealing with new technology (like bluetooth radio freq. for key fob communication)

Best choice is mobile phone as a key + key card in your wallet.

Additionally, make sure you use 1) a Duracell battery specifically labeled as “compatible with Apple AirTag” or 2) a Toshiba battery from Amazon

Otherwise you may get one that has bitterant coating which causes it’s own problems.

Further keep in mind that interference can cause a massive difference in unlock/lock timing

A key fob in my front shirt pocket by itself will unlock my car 6 feet before I get to it.

A key fob in my back pocket stuffed in there with my wallet will take 3-5 seconds after I reach the door to unlock the car.
I am telling you again - key fob can act differently just based on what pocket it's in. Imagine what a low battery can do. They barely have 500mAh of power at 3.0 volts.

And please pay attention to the battery you are using.

1) a Duracell battery specifically labeled as “compatible with Apple AirTag” or 2) a Toshiba battery from Amazon

Batteries these days have modern features like bitter coatings attached to the battery itself which can cause they key to intermittently not work! (which might be your current problem too!)

Since there is no "standard" for where or how to apply these coatings, these are the only two I have found to work so far.

Jerry you're driving a car from a brand new car company, dealing with new technology (like bluetooth radio freq. for key fob communication)

I am telling you again - key fob can act differently just based on what pocket it's in. Imagine what a low battery can do. They barely have 500mAh of power at 3.0 volts.
I work quite a bit with BLE in my day-to-day. Low battery can have unpredictable results, as can the slightest shift in position. As can whether or not you sacrificed a goat that morning to the gods of Thunder. It's a very temperamental technology.

One could argue BLE is a poor choice for use in a car fob. Sort of a moot point now that we have it in our Airs. What's done is done.

I've seen other car companies (or at least one) pull it off pretty well. So it is possible to get it right. Lucid definitely hasn't nailed it yet, but it's getting better.

So it seems with every update it just gets worse, this morning it flat pissed me off! My car sometimes has quite a delay when I walk up to it before the doors will unlock and the handles will deploy. In the past I’ve taken my key and pushed once to “lock” and then wait and then it finally realizes I’m there and unlocks. Sometimes I can push on the door handles themselves and wait for a while and they will finally deploy. A few times this has happened in the rain where every wasted second waiting to get in the car is really annoying. This morning it just flat wouldn’t open, finally opened the mobile app on my phone, waited for the car to wake up, waited for the app to actually start working, then unlocked the doors in the app and waited and waited until they finally unlocked and the handles deployed. Literally took about 3 minutes, which to some may not seem like a long time, but if that’s what you think, go stand by your door and count to 180 before opening it and then realize how frustrating it actually is! Is anybody else having this issue? No, I haven’t called Lucid yet as I just needed to move the damn car so I could get my pickup out of the garage and didn’t want to wait on hold forever trying to get a tech on the phone and all the hassles that go with it.
I have similar issue with my mobile key. Though when I’m on WiFi the response delay is less. But when I’m outside- the delay is frustrating “waking up”. I believe it’s a software issue and not a battery issue as people suggested. My car is few weeks old so batteries are brand new. I have seen other people on this forum post some different version of the lag issue. I have a Tesla and the mobile key response is that car is instantaneous fantastic. Hopefully, Lucid will fix the issue through one of its OTA updates soon.

I have similar issue with my mobile key. Though when I’m on WiFi the response delay is less. But when I’m outside- the delay is frustrating “waking up”. I believe it’s a software issue and not a battery issue as people suggested. My car is few weeks old so batteries are brand new. I have seen other people on this forum post some different version of the lag issue. I have a Tesla and the mobile key response is that car is instantaneous fantastic. Hopefully, Lucid will fix the issue through one of its OTA updates soon.
In terms of the fob, don't be fooled by the fact that your car is only a few weeks old. Mine too was only a few weeks old when the fob needed batteries. You don't know how long it's actually been since the car was manufactured nor how many attempts the fob has made to contact the car. You may be right about it being a software issue too, but I'd still replace the batteries to rule that out of the equation.

Back