Cracking just below trunk

SDHacker

Verified Owner
Cars
Red GT
scratches.jpg

Anyone else seeing cracks or scratches above the bumper to either side of the trunk latch. This is where it's the most concentrated but there are some that are off to the side too. Wondering if the power latching is closing too tightly and cracking the plastic or at least impacting the paint.

View attachment 6325

Anyone else seeing cracks or scratches above the bumper to either side of the trunk latch. This is where it's the most concentrated but there are some that are off to the side too. Wondering if the power latching is closing too tightly and cracking the plastic or at least impacting the paint.
From one Hacker to another it kinda looks like luggage or other items accidentally hitting the top of the bumper on their way in or out of the trunk ?

View attachment 6325

Yea I’d say that’s from loading/unloading items. I have a solid line where the trunk squeezes shut, but mine is on my PPF so it doesn’t bother me. Definitely nothing that looks like that.

From one Hacker to another it kinda looks like luggage or other items accidentally hitting the top of the bumper on their way in or out of the trunk ?
I’m thinking the same.. The lines are too irregular to be anything from the trunk lid

Of course, that's the first thing my wife and I looked at. What could cause that? First thing I considered is whether anything being loaded could have caused those scratches. The only things that go in and out of there are grocery bags (not possible), chairs for watching soccer (definitely not those), golf push cart (not that either because of the way it's loaded and nothing hanging that could scratch), electric wheels for push cart (not that either) and golf bag. Given the design of the clamshell trunk, low lift requirement, it would have had to have been something heavy that required getting it partially in then wiggling it around with something dangling that causes those marks (given how irregular they are). Nothing I put in the trunk meets those requirements. The golf bag is the heaviest item and that clamshell design makes it so easy to put directly in and down on the trunk floor.

Everybody (at least I hope so) loads luggage with the flat side down so pretty difficult to scratch that part of the bumper (plus haven't loaded any luggage yet). I'm betting none of you have those cracks/scratches because we are all being very careful with our cars.

The lines are too irregular to be anything from the trunk lid
You're thinking of the trunk lid rubbing as it goes up and down which would create vertical lines - I agree it's not physical contact with the trunk lid. I'm thinking power latching putting too much pressure on that part of the bumper which would create irregular cracking (I'm assuming this part is plastic). Since I can't come up with objects being loaded that would have scratched it, that's the only thing I could come up with.

Of course, that's the first thing my wife and I looked at. What could cause that? First thing I considered is whether anything being loaded could have caused those scratches. The only things that go in and out of there are grocery bags (not possible), chairs for watching soccer (definitely not those), golf push cart (not that either because of the way it's loaded and nothing hanging that could scratch), electric wheels for push cart (not that either) and golf bag. Given the design of the clamshell trunk, low lift requirement, it would have had to have been something heavy that required getting it partially in then wiggling it around with something dangling that causes those marks (given how irregular they are). Nothing I put in the trunk meets those requirements. The golf bag is the heaviest item and that clamshell design makes it so easy to put directly in and down on the trunk floor.

Everybody (at least I hope so) loads luggage with the flat side down so pretty difficult to scratch that part of the bumper (plus haven't loaded any luggage yet). I'm betting none of you have those cracks/scratches because we are all being very careful with our cars.

You're thinking of the trunk lid rubbing as it goes up and down which would create vertical lines - I agree it's not physical contact with the trunk lid. I'm thinking power latching putting too much pressure on that part of the bumper which would create irregular cracking (I'm assuming this part is plastic). Since I can't come up with objects being loaded that would have scratched it, that's the only thing I could come up with.
Just a suggestion: have a shop throw a small piece of PPF on it to protect it.

Back