Frunk opened in response to shifting contents

AltadenaAir

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
I think there is a serious flaw in the location of the Frunk's internal "close" button. At least, I think that's the problem.

I had a tool bucket in the Frunk. It's a five gallon paint bucket with a cloth pocket system. It's not particularly heavy - maybe 20 pounds that day. Certainly less than a full flight case.

There was a backup at a freeway exit, and I had to execute a sudden speed reduction as I turned at the top of the ramp. My Frunk contents possibly shifted - at least, I think I heard that. When I completed the turn and got to a stop, my car complained that the Frunk was open. The car would only allow me to move very slowly, and I had to turn on flashers and move slowly out of the way of traffic, to the considerable irritation of those behind me. I pulled over a few hundred feet ahead, and indeed the trunk was partially open. I was able to simply press it closed with my hands.

I am of course glad the Frunk didn't fully open, and that the car refused to let me drive fast with an unlatched Frunk. Kudos.

After looking inside the trunk, I'm guessing that the tool bucket bumped that "close" button. Is it possible that the button functions as an "open" button when the trunk is closed? (Anyone want to get inside and test?)

Or possibly the frunk contents bumped against the closed frunk hatch and caused the latch to be overwhelmed and release.

Either way, it's a significant problem, and because it leaves you "stranded-ish", and that makes it a safety issue.

If it's caused by the button, that is a design flaw on the position of the button. The button should be positioned so that contents cannot operate it. The current position makes it possible for contents to bump into the button. Of course, a software fix would be to ignore the button as an "open" button and just use it as a "close".

It the problem was caused by the contents bumping into the hatch, I'm concerned that the latch is inadequate to the purpose.

I hope the problem is #1, and fixable by software.

Has anyone else experienced this?

You use frunk and trunk interchangeably there quite a bit. I'm assuming you meant Frunk for all instances?

When the car is in gear, the frunk opening buttons are all disabled on the screen. I always assumed that little button in the frunk would also not work while the car was in gear or in motion. Maybe not?

I use my frunk almost daily. And I've never had anything like this happen. Could be something other than the button being pressed. Could be you just had a latch malfunction for some other reason. I'd have it checked out by service.

...When the car is in gear, the frunk opening buttons are all disabled on the screen. I always assumed that little button in the frunk would also not work while the car was in gear or in motion. Maybe not?
During the delivery, the staff told me that the frunk button is always active in case someone or a small kid is trapped inside.

Last edited:
Either way, it's a significant problem, and because it leaves you "stranded-ish", and that makes it a safety issue...
Contents should be secured, tied down in the first place. If they got lose, it's a good thing to slow down to a stop and re-secure them. It is not a "stranded" issue.

Well, if this button functions as a trunk release, then it needs to have a cover or be placed such that shifting contents can't activate it.

Regarding "tying down" the contents - to what? There are no attachment points.

I suggest that in future designs they should relocate the button to be on a protected horizontal surface nearby; there are several choices. The current location is hard to operate for it's intended purpose - to let you close the trunk. It's hard to find.

I think there is a serious flaw in the location of the Frunk's internal "close" button. At least, I think that's the problem.

I had a tool bucket in the Frunk. It's a five gallon paint bucket with a cloth pocket system. It's not particularly heavy - maybe 20 pounds that day. Certainly less than a full flight case.

There was a backup at a freeway exit, and I had to execute a sudden speed reduction as I turned at the top of the ramp. My Frunk contents possibly shifted - at least, I think I heard that. When I completed the turn and got to a stop, my car complained that the Frunk was open. The car would only allow me to move very slowly, and I had to turn on flashers and move slowly out of the way of traffic, to the considerable irritation of those behind me. I pulled over a few hundred feet ahead, and indeed the trunk was partially open. I was able to simply press it closed with my hands.

I am of course glad the Frunk didn't fully open, and that the car refused to let me drive fast with an unlatched Frunk. Kudos.

After looking inside the trunk, I'm guessing that the tool bucket bumped that "close" button. Is it possible that the button functions as an "open" button when the trunk is closed? (Anyone want to get inside and test?)

Or possibly the frunk contents bumped against the closed frunk hatch and caused the latch to be overwhelmed and release.

Either way, it's a significant problem, and because it leaves you "stranded-ish", and that makes it a safety issue.

If it's caused by the button, that is a design flaw on the position of the button. The button should be positioned so that contents cannot operate it. The current position makes it possible for contents to bump into the button. Of course, a software fix would be to ignore the button as an "open" button and just use it as a "close".

It the problem was caused by the contents bumping into the hatch, I'm concerned that the latch is inadequate to the purpose.

Maybe @mcr16 can shed some light on this topic?

Well, if this button functions as a trunk release, then it needs to have a cover or be placed such that shifting contents can't activate it.
Needs to be trivial for a child to activate. In most trunks it is just a tiny pull cord, and I’ve definitely activated it by accident because a box got caught under the pull cord (only happened once).

I agree it isn’t ideal, but maybe just put larger boxes in the trunk or sub-frunk.

I haven’t had this happen, but I only use the frunk for groceries 🤷‍♂️

Hi, @AltadenaAir. Thanks for sharing. I just sent you a DM.

I'm still trying to figure out how letting a child open the frunk while the car is moving 100 mph on the freeway is somehow a "safety" feature.

When it's stopped or in park, totally get it.

But regulations are regulations.

At least it appears the Air did the "right" thing by unlatching the frunk, but not opening it wide, blocking the driver's view.

And yes. I would imagine it would take quite a bit for something in the frunk to actually "press" that button hard enough. So maybe just avoid really heavy things that can roll around in there? Especially in the top level. Just put those things in the lower compartment. Like I said, I've never had this happen, and I almost always have something in the frunk.

I don't think it's so much "heavy" items, as much as items that could tip over.. If the item is tall enough to reach the button, and you decelerate even modestly, it has the potential to hit the button. Even a standard piece of luggage would fit this description.

Back