Bike Mounts and Crossbars

Rogue

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT-P
Context and General Issues:
Given the original crossbars are not available due to a number of us over torquing, rust without covers, cracking glass roofs, etc., I figure a few of us still got our hands on them. There is also a tendency to crumple the paint on the front and rear mounts interior mount side (pointed towards the middle of the car).

Lucid is reviewing other potential vendors and install design. Hopefully, they come out with something better in the future.

My Personal Experience:
Anyways, the crossbars are time consuming and difficult to mount. Alignment and juggling screws will leave you frustrated during mounting, particularly in hot Alabama weather. The foam edges are insufficient and leave hard contact points to damage and crinkle paint. I will likely uninstall and attempt to buffer the paint despite Lucid Service suggesting to just leave them on permanently.

That checks two issues for me: over torqued screw (on a loaner) and damaged paint (Lucid Service install on personal vehicle)...

The bike mounts offered are straightforward, but the height can be difficult if not mounted near the side of the car. These are not properly designed for the Lucid crossbars with the curve not aligning with the front mounts of the bike racks. Tightening the front pulls the leading edge of the crossbar mount that then causes the damaged paint issue...

I suggest either a foot stool or partner to help.

Efficiency, Handling, and Noise (Crossbar Only):
No more wind noise than the usual. Handling is not affected in any noticeable way. Efficiency does not appear to change either, but I have not done rigorous testing.

Efficiency, Handling, and Noise (Crossbar Only):
I will find out tomorrow. Expect to not whip the car and take it gentle to start. No real plans to really push the car with two mountain bikes on top.

Verdict:
Would I buy the mounts if still available or used?

Yes, but I would make Lucid Service do it due to the difficulty and other landmines. The silver trim is apparently a plastic and metal mix, so no rust issues occur due to a crinkle, only cosmetic. Replacement is supposedly not expensive either if you ever decide you don't want the crossbars on the car.

If I ever had to install the crossbars myself, it would be a solid pass.

Mobile service tech noticed my bike hanging in my garage and cautioned me that if I ever got the crossbars I should be very careful not to over-torque when installing or I'd crack the glass. Glad I didn't spring for them.

I was thinking about getting them. Thanks for the post as I will avoid them now. However, i have a metal roof. Is there a difference?

I was thinking about getting them. Thanks for the post as I will avoid them now. However, i have a metal roof. Is there a difference?
Two different bases for the crossbar mounting. With the issues of the cantrail paint crinkling, I am not sure how a painted roof would hold up. The foam separator is subpar and insufficient in my opinion coverage wise.

I hope the Gravity has a tow hitch. No ability to mount a bike is a deal killer for me. I put a tow hitch on my Mach-e, even though it is not "approved" in the North American market. I don't tow, just use it for my bike rack.

BTW - crossbars will definitely reduce efficiency according to testing done on other vehicles. A bike will have a huge impact, either on top or on the back. That is common sense, of course.

I hope the Gravity has a tow hitch. No ability to mount a bike is a deal killer for me. I put a tow hitch on my Mach-e, even though it is not "approved" in the North American market. I don't tow, just use it for my bike rack.

BTW - crossbars will definitely reduce efficiency according to testing done on other vehicles. A bike will have a huge impact, either on top or on the back. That is common sense, of course.

I want a tow hitch on the Gravity for bikes, and a roof rack for a ski box. I really hope Lucid comes up with a solid solution for the Gravity. Otherwise it could be a deal breaker.

They just need to work with Yakima or Thule and develop a solution. Every other OEM simply works with them and rebrands their product as their own. No need to reinvent the wheel. Just work with a reputable rack manufacturer.

UPDATE: The final verdict is a definitive no, regardless of install. The bikes moved and shuffled more than I would have liked when the car dipped to the left or to the right (dips and bumps in road). Additionally, we had more lifting of the mounts that dug the opposite ends into the cantrails post-10 minute drive.

Wind noise was considerable with the bikes right above our heads at 55 mph. I cannot imagine long trips with the current solution.

Keep in mind I am using two mountain bikes. The weight of the bikes made it a chore and dice roll for loading and unloading. I hate having to lean on the car to get the right reach (5' 9", not particularly short).

Strongly suggest alternative solutions. However, Russell at the Richmond Service Center strongly advised against suction cup solutions on the glass. That does not leave many options, and for us, that means loading the bikes on our other bike mount and using our Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid to take the beating (already significant paint damage from elements and bike mount).

No pictures of the mounted bikes. It isn't worth the effort or the time. Here are some pictures of the mounts lifting for reference. Right side of the photo will start to crinkle the cantrails because the foam does not sufficiently cover the edge. That's hard plastic you see, not the foam on the right.

Attachments

• PXL_20231110_210526350.jpg
    PXL_20231110_210526350.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 116

Gravity is rated for towing so it should either have a hitch or be an option.

Gravity is rated for towing so it should either have a hitch or be an option.
(I believe you) Where is this stated? The only thing I could find was "Optional towing capability" which means ~nothing lol

I do think it would be dumb of them to not have it be capable.

(I believe you) Where is this stated? The only thing I could find was "Optional towing capability" which means ~nothing lol

I do think it would be dumb of them to not have it be capable.
That is what I am taking to mean that it will have the the capability, at least as an option.

A solid pass on this end. The rubber buffers on the Gravity at the launch were golden. Service installation or no, a bike mounted will damage the silver aluminum/hard plastic piece.

I would advise everyone to wait for that design to come out because the foam buffers are not sufficient.

@ScottWilliamsEsq The design has not changed. It advised having a service center install the crossbars to ensure proper fit.
Please help further. March 2024 Travis at Millbrae CA SC advised NOT to install the Lucid crossbars I brought to him to install at appointment
Travis offered a new design was coming & /or available and Lucid would be trading the new for the old for customers (free)
My bars were purchased USED on this forum from Kyle Johnson, and carefully shipped from WA, so need help transferring the right to the swap 4 new design to me (Kyle no longer has the car)
My conversation to customer care about transfer was filed in the trash (no response).
Please help coordinate official policy with service and customer care, and giving care a nudge towards transferring right to swap

Please help further. March 2024 Travis at Millbrae CA SC advised NOT to install the Lucid crossbars I brought to him to install at appointment
Travis offered a new design was coming & /or available and Lucid would be trading the new for the old for customers (free)
My bars were purchased USED on this forum from Kyle Johnson, and carefully shipped from WA, so need help transferring the right to the swap 4 new design to me (Kyle no longer has the car)
My conversation to customer care about transfer was filed in the trash (no response).
Please help coordinate official policy with service and customer care, and giving care a nudge towards transferring right to swap
Hi, @SteveR. There appears to have been a miscommunication. There is no new design coming, and we are not offering to retrofit owners with the current design. Someone from the team will be contacting you very shortly to assist you.

I wanted to revisit the suction cup solution for mounting bikes. I have a single bike SeaSucker that I use to transport my road bike (~15 lbs total weight, spread over four suction cups) or my mountain bike (~30 lbs total weight, spread over four suction cups). Could this relatively small amount of weight really be an issue with the glass roof? Customer Care eventually told me Lucid strongly recommends against due to the weight on the glass. I wasn't thinking about the weight, but rather the force of the suction cup pulling up on the glass at speed. If this amount of weight on the glass roof is truly a problem, then I am concerned about the long-term durability of the roof!

Back