Bike Mounts and Crossbars

Have you tried two mountain bikes plus ride along for two kids though? If you have, let me know the secrets. I tried for close to an hour with no luck and loose tires that wouldn't work with the trip luggage.
Will definitely let you know the secret in couple of years whenever I have two kids, trip luggage and more than one MTB.

From personal experience, Do not use the cross bars!

- Using the torque wrench and proper tension you can't get them tight enough against the car and then tend to shift and move slightly. I wasn't going to try to overtighten them and break the glass.
- I had one of the covers fly off and didn't have any response from the Lucid Store regarding ordering a replacement.
- Cross bars themselves where acceptable from an additional noise perspective. Once you added on the Yakima ski rack it was very noisy at highway speeds and not something I wanted to leave on my car. Funny enough it wasn't as bad when skis were on. Must be something with the aerodynamics.
- There is a design flaw in the receptacle that the bolt goes into in the roof assembly. Three of the four bolts could not be removed as the bolt housing would just spin. More on this later... A DIY method of me cutting the bolt out proved not to be a good idea.
- My car ended up in service (actually Lucid's body shop) for about 2 weeks where they had to replace the glass, silver trim and put in 4 new threaded bolt housings into the roof. The service advisor seemed to suggest that it was a design flaw that the original bolt housings weren't crimped appropriately into the roof frame. They also said that they were aware of one other case of somebody using the roof rails that had a similar problem. He felt that this should be a dealer installed accessory and suggested if I ever wanted to have to reinstalled to have them do it. I don't have any intention on every using this cross bars again. Maybe I'll mount them inside my garage and hang something off them.
I second not getting the crossbars. Had service come and install them and they cracked the glass! Luckily they are currently replacing the entire panel.

Back