Bike Mounts and Crossbars

Have you tried two mountain bikes plus ride along for two kids though? If you have, let me know the secrets. I tried for close to an hour with no luck and loose tires that wouldn't work with the trip luggage.
Will definitely let you know the secret in couple of years whenever I have two kids, trip luggage and more than one MTB.

From personal experience, Do not use the cross bars!

- Using the torque wrench and proper tension you can't get them tight enough against the car and then tend to shift and move slightly. I wasn't going to try to overtighten them and break the glass.
- I had one of the covers fly off and didn't have any response from the Lucid Store regarding ordering a replacement.
- Cross bars themselves where acceptable from an additional noise perspective. Once you added on the Yakima ski rack it was very noisy at highway speeds and not something I wanted to leave on my car. Funny enough it wasn't as bad when skis were on. Must be something with the aerodynamics.
- There is a design flaw in the receptacle that the bolt goes into in the roof assembly. Three of the four bolts could not be removed as the bolt housing would just spin. More on this later... A DIY method of me cutting the bolt out proved not to be a good idea.
- My car ended up in service (actually Lucid's body shop) for about 2 weeks where they had to replace the glass, silver trim and put in 4 new threaded bolt housings into the roof. The service advisor seemed to suggest that it was a design flaw that the original bolt housings weren't crimped appropriately into the roof frame. They also said that they were aware of one other case of somebody using the roof rails that had a similar problem. He felt that this should be a dealer installed accessory and suggested if I ever wanted to have to reinstalled to have them do it. I don't have any intention on every using this cross bars again. Maybe I'll mount them inside my garage and hang something off them.
I second not getting the crossbars. Had service come and install them and they cracked the glass! Luckily they are currently replacing the entire panel.

I wanted to revisit the suction cup solution for mounting bikes. I have a single bike SeaSucker that I use to transport my road bike (~15 lbs total weight, spread over four suction cups) or my mountain bike (~30 lbs total weight, spread over four suction cups). Could this relatively small amount of weight really be an issue with the glass roof? Customer Care eventually told me Lucid strongly recommends against due to the weight on the glass. I wasn't thinking about the weight, but rather the force of the suction cup pulling up on the glass at speed. If this amount of weight on the glass roof is truly a problem, then I am concerned about the long-term durability of the roof!
Did you ever get an answer about this? My husband wants to use a suction cup mount to transport his bike on our first distance trip with my new Air Touring and I'm concerned about damage to the glass.

Did you ever get an answer about this? My husband wants to use a suction cup mount to transport his bike on our first distance trip with my new Air Touring and I'm concerned about damage to the glass.
I believe the answer is just that. Lucid strongly advises putting weight on the glass through suction cup mounts. A single bike will fit comfortably in the rear, mountain or road. Two mountain bikes will not fit unless storing a wheel in the frunk or rear of the car.

Storage of a bike greatly reduces storage space in the back. You could slide small things here and there, but the frunk would be the primary storage mechanism at that point. If you don't need the rear seat, you could always fold those down. I haven't personally tried since we have two kids who need the rear seats.

We went to OBT in Chicago and walked into the Lucid showroom. They had a Pure in there with the cross bars and a surf board attachment.

The sales person told me that the crossbars will work fine on a glass roof, which came as a surprise to me. Has there been any updates on the crossbars recently?

One bike (size 54) will fit in the back with the seats down and both tires on, but just barely.

We went to OBT in Chicago and walked into the Lucid showroom. They had a Pure in there with the cross bars and a surf board attachment.

The sales person told me that the crossbars will work fine on a glass roof, which came as a surprise to me. Has there been any updates on the crossbars recently?
I think once installed it's fine. Would make sure dealer installs before delivery and inspect for cracked glass.

Apparently it’s fine, you just want to have Lucid install it.

A few confusing points for me,

I see the bike rack is available again on the Lucid Store + Rewards Store. It looks like this guy only holds 1x bike? I keep seeing people reference issues with it.

I'm trying to identify if I should purchase a foldable e-Bike or regular e-Bike for myself and my wife. We both would need to transport our bikes at the same time. Is there any advice on this?

A few confusing points for me,

I see the bike rack is available again on the Lucid Store + Rewards Store. It looks like this guy only holds 1x bike? I keep seeing people reference issues with it.

I'm trying to identify if I should purchase a foldable e-Bike or regular e-Bike for myself and my wife. We both would need to transport our bikes at the same time. Is there any advice on this?

We were able to hold 2 by purchasing two mounts. An e-bike is likely to be as heavy as a mountain bike. My only comment would be it is an absolute pain and exhausting effort to get the bike on the top of the car.

There is significant shifting when the bikes are on top of the car. Did it once. We will not be doing it again plus damage to the silver cantrails.

We were able to hold 2 by purchasing two mounts. An e-bike is likely to be as heavy as a mountain bike. My only comment would be it is an absolute pain and exhausting effort to get the bike on the top of the car.

There is significant shifting when the bikes are on top of the car. Did it once. We will not be doing it again plus damage to the silver cantrails.
Ah yeah, this is what I was worried about.

Seems like a folding eBike is the way to go.

I wanted to revisit the suction cup solution for mounting bikes. I have a single bike SeaSucker that I use to transport my road bike (~15 lbs total weight, spread over four suction cups) or my mountain bike (~30 lbs total weight, spread over four suction cups). Could this relatively small amount of weight really be an issue with the glass roof? Customer Care eventually told me Lucid strongly recommends against due to the weight on the glass. I wasn't thinking about the weight, but rather the force of the suction cup pulling up on the glass at speed. If this amount of weight on the glass roof is truly a problem, then I am concerned about the long-term durability of the roof!
Did you get any responses to this? I’m interested in the SeaSucker for my glass roof unless Lucid recommends against it. I’d rather not try to stuff a mtn bike in the trunk as A) I’m a big guy and thus ride a big ol’ bike and B) I’m in the northeast, which means mud! mud! and more mud! is unavoidable when trail riding and I’d like to try to keep clean the interior of the nicest car I’ll ever own.

Anyone who has installed the LUCID Roof Rack- Did you receive a tool to unscrew the Star-looking bolt from the roof?
IMG_6642.webp

Anyone who has installed the LUCID Roof Rack- Did you receive a tool to unscrew the Star-looking bolt from the roof? View attachment 23042
I would not recommend you install the roof rack yourself unless maybe you have the metal roof. If you have a glass roof there's is a HIGH chance you will crack it. Lucid came to my house to install the roof rack and cracked it and then took over a week to replace the cracked roof. Needless to say I opted to return the roof rack.

I would not recommend you install the roof rack yourself unless maybe you have the metal roof. If you have a glass roof there's is a HIGH chance you will crack it. Lucid came to my house to install the roof rack and cracked it and then took over a week to replace the cracked roof. Needless to say I opted to return the roof rack.
I would love to have Lucid do it, but I have to drive an hour away. I have a metal roof. What was the cost of installation?

I would love to have Lucid do it, but I have to drive an hour away. I have a metal roof. What was the cost of installation?
They came for free, especially since I expressed my concerns in doing it myself. Roof replacement was free too lol

Back