Bike Mounts and Crossbars

Hi, @SteveR. There appears to have been a miscommunication. There is no new design coming, and we are not offering to retrofit owners with the current design. Someone from the team will be contacting you very shortly to assist you.
I would also like to be contacted about my installation. Is service able to come pick up the car, do the installation and then return the car?

I would also like to be contacted about my installation. Is service able to come pick up the car, do the installation and then return the car?
Hi, @pyle112. I advise contacting your service center. They will be able to answer your questions.

Tried mounting a Yakima Landing Pad #11 last night and it works with a M6x50 bolt. The kit comes with a variety of bolts and the M6x50 is the longest of the M6's provided. Did documentation come with the Lucid roof rack? Anything about how much to torque the bolt?

Tried mounting a Yakima Landing Pad #11 last night and it works with a M6x50 bolt. The kit comes with a variety of bolts and the M6x50 is the longest of the M6's provided. Did documentation come with the Lucid roof rack? Anything about how much to torque the bolt?

Bike transport is a huge deal for me. I would greatly prefer a tow hitch rack, but a roof rack that doesn't damage the car is a good alternative. The fact that Lucid roof racks have damaged the car is very concerning, and a "deal breaker" (man I hate that term, and yes it works here) for me.

I have a mountain bike and a road bike. I do triathlons and love a good trail. My car has to be good at transporting a bike outside the car. I know, the trunk is huge and the seat folds down. I don't want a dirty bike in my $100k car. That's just me.

I am very interested in your experience with the Yakima roof rack system.

This isn't perfect for everyone but on Saturday I picked up Montague Paratrooper Highline folding mountain bike. This is not a Brompton city bike, it's a full-on mountain bike designed for and used by the US military, with 27.5" x 2" knobbies. I can remove the front wheel and fold it in <30 seconds. It weighs <30 lbs. It fits in the trunk easily without lowering the back seats. It comes with a burly cordura bag 36"x28"x12", so you could put one or two more in the back seat floor. They make road bikes too.
I'm extremely pleased with this.

From personal experience, Do not use the cross bars!

- Using the torque wrench and proper tension you can't get them tight enough against the car and then tend to shift and move slightly. I wasn't going to try to overtighten them and break the glass.
- I had one of the covers fly off and didn't have any response from the Lucid Store regarding ordering a replacement.
- Cross bars themselves where acceptable from an additional noise perspective. Once you added on the Yakima ski rack it was very noisy at highway speeds and not something I wanted to leave on my car. Funny enough it wasn't as bad when skis were on. Must be something with the aerodynamics.
- There is a design flaw in the receptacle that the bolt goes into in the roof assembly. Three of the four bolts could not be removed as the bolt housing would just spin. More on this later... A DIY method of me cutting the bolt out proved not to be a good idea.
- My car ended up in service (actually Lucid's body shop) for about 2 weeks where they had to replace the glass, silver trim and put in 4 new threaded bolt housings into the roof. The service advisor seemed to suggest that it was a design flaw that the original bolt housings weren't crimped appropriately into the roof frame. They also said that they were aware of one other case of somebody using the roof rails that had a similar problem. He felt that this should be a dealer installed accessory and suggested if I ever wanted to have to reinstalled to have them do it. I don't have any intention on every using this cross bars again. Maybe I'll mount them inside my garage and hang something off them.

From personal experience, Do not use the cross bars!

- Using the torque wrench and proper tension you can't get them tight enough against the car and then tend to shift and move slightly. I wasn't going to try to overtighten them and break the glass.
- I had one of the covers fly off and didn't have any response from the Lucid Store regarding ordering a replacement.
- Cross bars themselves where acceptable from an additional noise perspective. Once you added on the Yakima ski rack it was very noisy at highway speeds and not something I wanted to leave on my car. Funny enough it wasn't as bad when skis were on. Must be something with the aerodynamics.
- There is a design flaw in the receptacle that the bolt goes into in the roof assembly. Three of the four bolts could not be removed as the bolt housing would just spin. More on this later... A DIY method of me cutting the bolt out proved not to be a good idea.
- My car ended up in service (actually Lucid's body shop) for about 2 weeks where they had to replace the glass, silver trim and put in 4 new threaded bolt housings into the roof. The service advisor seemed to suggest that it was a design flaw that the original bolt housings weren't crimped appropriately into the roof frame. They also said that they were aware of one other case of somebody using the roof rails that had a similar problem. He felt that this should be a dealer installed accessory and suggested if I ever wanted to have to reinstalled to have them do it. I don't have any intention on every using this cross bars again. Maybe I'll mount them inside my garage and hang something off them.
That person must have been me. I over torqued the cleaning screw to try to get down tighter with the regular screw on a loaner. There is no way to remove that spinning screw without taking apart a lot of the car from what I've been told.

Didn't get a chance to get the rest of the Yakima landing pads installed today, but the plan is to use the skyline towers with the landing pad #11 and jetstream cross bars. Anyone with the official Lucid crossbars have the instructions that came with it? Does it have the torque specs for the fixed point roof mount? Does the list indicate the torque? Fortunately, I have the hard top, so no glass to worry about. Another bonus of the hard top, have a head liner I'll be able to tuck the power cord for a dash cam, but need to get into the passenger side fuse box. That's another project though.

Back