Key not found frequently - requires passcode

unHookt

Verified Owner
This is a weird behavior that I am seeing pretty consistently. When I drop my kid off at school, I'll put the car in Park and she hops out and grabs her bag out of the trunk then closes the trunk by pressing the button on the trunk lid. When I then shift into D the vehicle will indicate that the fob isn't in the car, and I'm prompted to enter my passcode. The car won't respond until I do so.

After entering the passcode, the error message disappears and I'm able to drive off. I you get to participate in a school drop-off/pick-up circle you know how disruptive and frustrating this can be.

I initially thought that I was putting the car into Drive too soon after the trunk lid closed and that this was some kind of safety feature preventing drive-off before the trunk was fully latched. I've waited long periods to ensure that the trunk is fully closed, though, and I still get the prompt.

My key fob battery has been changed multiple times. Multiple brands, too.

This happens all the time - like 60% of the time or more often. Anyone else seeing something similar?

Yes happens to me as well - the exact same scenario. I posted this a few days ago.

@hydbob and @joec suggested not keeping the fob in the cupholder. Might have reduced it but I haven't done a lot of dropoffs since. I saw this happen when I had the fob in my jacket as well. So I am not convinced there isn't a bug.

Knowing this could happen, I have actually taken the key out of my pocket and held it in my hand to see if it would make a difference. No luck.

Knowing this could happen, I have actually taken the key out of my pocket and held it in my hand to see if it would make a difference. No luck.
so you still get the key not detected and are prompted to enter the pin?

I can not speak for the others but this situation occurs every time someone exits the front passenger door side. Pass code pops up.
I did notice in my loaner that whenever you use PIN to drive, anytime a door is opened you need to re-enter the PIN.

Affirmative - it will happen regardless of where the key is located on my person or elsewhere while I'm in the car. I don't use the PIN to start the car and get going in the morning. I have the key in my pocket, get into the car and drive to the school. When I get there, that's when this issue occurs. The car is in Park before the door is opened and I have painstakingly confirmed that the trunk is shut before I attempt to switch to Drive.

I can not speak for the others but this situation occurs every time someone exits the front passenger door side. Pass code pops up.
Sorry to hear I'm not the only one.

I did notice in my loaner that whenever you use PIN to drive, anytime a door is opened you need to re-enter the PIN.
I'm using the key to Drive. Happens whether my phone (digital key) has bluetooth turned on or off.

While putting 20k miles on my Touring in 7 months, I would get this type of message too often. I also had issues with key recognition when walking up to my locked car and, even worse, the car not locking when I walked away from it (presumably because it didn't recognize that the key was departing the area). Service tried to fix it. I tried fobs and mobile key (Samsung) separately to try and isolate the issue. And I even started to think it was me being too demanding and that everyone was having the same issues as me but mine was more frequent because of how much I drive and how often I get in and out of my car every day.

BUT service decided to bring my car in again and see if they could fix it. And although I don't have my car back yet, they gave me a loaner this time. I can say without question that the loaner GT is almost flawless with respect to recognizing the key fob and unlocking/locking the way it's supposed to. I never have to wait more than a couple of seconds for it to unlock let alone use my app to unlock it (which is good because I can't use the app with a loaner). And not once have I had it not lock when I exit the car.

Long response... Sorry about that. But my point is that waiting for the car to unlock, having it not lock, or having to put in your pin when you have a key in the car is NOT normal. It is, however, unfortunately common. You should have service check it.

I will report back once I get my car back. Good luck.

I'm using the key to Drive. Happens whether my phone (digital key) has bluetooth turned on or off.
Is your phone also linked as a mobile key? Have you tried only using the fob or your phone but not both?

This is a weird behavior that I am seeing pretty consistently. When I drop my kid off at school, I'll put the car in Park and she hops out and grabs her bag out of the trunk then closes the trunk by pressing the button on the trunk lid. When I then shift into D the vehicle will indicate that the fob isn't in the car, and I'm prompted to enter my passcode. The car won't respond until I do so.

After entering the passcode, the error message disappears and I'm able to drive off. I you get to participate in a school drop-off/pick-up circle you know how disruptive and frustrating this can be.

I initially thought that I was putting the car into Drive too soon after the trunk lid closed and that this was some kind of safety feature preventing drive-off before the trunk was fully latched. I've waited long periods to ensure that the trunk is fully closed, though, and I still get the prompt.

My key fob battery has been changed multiple times. Multiple brands, too.

This happens all the time - like 60% of the time or more often. Anyone else seeing something similar?
I’ve had similar issues. I thought that my wallet (with RFID blocking) was the problem, and tried carrying my key card in my pocket, but not only did it not fix the issue, I lost my card. That was a $110 mistake. So, even with the fib in my pocket, I have recently been getting the prompt to enter the PIN to drive. This can even happen in the morning, when I first get into my car .

I’ve had similar issues. I thought that my wallet (with RFID blocking) was the problem, and tried carrying my key card in my pocket, but not only did it not fix the issue, I lost my card. That was a $110 mistake. So, even with the fib in my pocket, I have recently been getting the prompt to enter the PIN to drive. This can even happen in the morning, when I first get into my car .
The key card does not transmit a signal. The fob will. Are you saying with your fob you still need to use a pin?

I've had a similar experience twice recently. Both time I was in the car leaving a parking lot. When I pulled up to the station to enter my parking ticket and pay, I suddenly got the PIN message. So then I was stuck, w/ cars impatiently honking behind me. Then after a minute or so, the message went away and I was able to exit the lot OK. VERY disturbing!

I've had a similar experience twice recently. Both time I was in the car leaving a parking lot. When I pulled up to the station to enter my parking ticket and pay, I suddenly got the PIN message. So then I was stuck, w/ cars impatiently honking behind me. Then after a minute or so, the message went away and I was able to exit the lot OK. VERY disturbing!
Why didn’t you just enter the PIN?
Are you using mobile key or fob?

I always use the fob, have never used the mobile key. I don't even know my PIN. Guess I'd better look it up! I HAVE changed the battery in my fob, and keep a spare in the car.

I always use the fob, have never used the mobile key. I don't even know my PIN. Guess I'd better look it up! I HAVE changed the battery in my fob, and keep a spare in the car.
Was your fob in the cupholder?

Not sure. That is normally where I put the fob, but it could also have been in my pocket. My car is somewhat temperamental about recognizing the fob. Often I can walk out my front door and the car will immediately light up, while other times I have to be right next to the car before it recognizes me. I almost always approach the car with the fob in my hand.

Not sure. That is normally where I put the fob, but it could also have been in my pocket. My car is somewhat temperamental about recognizing the fob. Often I can walk out my front door and the car will immediately light up, while other times I have to be right next to the car before it recognizes me. I almost always approach the car with the fob in my hand.
Just keep it out of the cup holder, dead zone for sure and if the car doesn't detect the fob, it will ask you for a pin after you put it in park.

Back