Keyfob/Mobile Key proximity to trunk does not unlock

sbr41

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
I approach the car parked in a grocery store parking lot. My hands are full of grocery bags. I somehow manage to press the button on the trunk to open it.
THE TRUNK DOES NOT OPEN!! I am told by Lucid Service that the rear of the car does not have a proximity sensor, hence cannot detect the key and cannot unlock.

I don't remember when was the last time I had a car that needed me to take my keyfob out and press unlock to access the trunk (my other ride is a BMW which can fly open the trunk with a leg wave). This is sooo backward in time, for a very futuristic car. If I have to list my biggest disappointments with the car, this tops the list!
Based on what I am told, this cannot even be fixed by OTA?

I approach the car parked in a grocery store parking lot. My hands are full of grocery bags. I somehow manage to press the button on the trunk to open it.
THE TRUNK DOES NOT OPEN!! I am told by Lucid Service that the rear of the car does not have a proximity sensor, hence cannot detect the key and cannot unlock.

I don't remember when was the last time I had a car that needed me to take my keyfob out and press unlock to access the trunk (my other ride is a BMW which can fly open the trunk with a leg wave). This is sooo backward in time, for a very futuristic car. If I have to list my biggest disappointments with the car, this tops the list!
Based on what I am told, this cannot even be fixed by OTA?
I open the trunk from the back all of the time using either the mobile key or the fob. The car takes a couple of seconds longer to sense the fob or key than when approaching from the front or side. It does work.

I open the trunk from the back all of the time using either the mobile key or the fob. The car takes a couple of seconds longer to sense the fob or key than when approaching from the front or side. It does work.
Then I have no clue why the local Lucid tech told me that it is by design and would not unlock that way!

Then I have no clue why the local Lucid tech told me that it is by design and would not unlock that way!
Me either. It works perfectly fine for me. I also don't need to use the fob. I can just hit the little button on the trunk and it'll open, so long as the car has unlocked (mirrors unfolded). It does take an extra second or two most times, but it's never not worked for me at all.

My trunk does not unlock if I approach directly from the back when the car is locked just like the OP. I have to approach from the side for the car to unlock, then go to the trunk and press the button.

The car has to "wake up" before the trunk button will work.

Once the handles pop out, based upon key fob proximity, the trunk button will work.

The car has to "wake up" before the trunk button will work.

Once the handles pop out, based upon key fob proximity, the trunk button will work.
The car can't "wake up" if you approach it directly from behind. It does not sense the digital key or the fob so no reason for it to wake up. You can push the trunk button all you like.

The car can't "wake up" if you approach it directly from behind. It does not sense the digital key or the fob so no reason for it to wake up. You can push the trunk button all you like.
Not true for me.

The car can't "wake up" if you approach it directly from behind. It does not sense the digital key or the fob so no reason for it to wake up.

It can; It depends upon how you are holding/carrying the fob/phone.

Not true for me.
Hmmm interesting. I guess I need to reach out to service. It’s like a dead zone for me if I’m exactly down the middle back. If I go around to the rear corner it works.

I actually thought this was on the wish list to Lucid that Bobby put together.

Hmmm interesting. I guess I need to reach out to service. It’s like a dead zone for me if I’m exactly down the middle back. If I go around to the rear corner it works.
Maybe I'm just lucky? It's totally possible the antennae don't reach as well in the back, but some cars manage to see the signal back there better than others?

I can open my trunk with the fob, but it doesn't always open all the way. Sometimes only half. I was able to clear this up about a month ago by changing the fob batteries, but it did it again this weekend. Makes me wonder just how often I'm going to go through batteries. I've never had this problem with the frunk (which I use way more often).

The trunk button works once the car is awake. But I think the real utility is, being able to "wake" the car up when I approach the trunk. Unfortunately, that does not seem to happen and it is a problem.

To clarify, I am using the words "unlock" and "wake up" interchangeably here. Approaching the car with fob in your pocket and expecting the car to be unlocked/woken up is essentially same behavior.

I can open my trunk with the fob, but it doesn't always open all the way. Sometimes only half. I was able to clear this up about a month ago by changing the fob batteries, but it did it again this weekend. Makes me wonder just how often I'm going to go through batteries. I've never had this problem with the frunk (which I use way more often).

The trunk opening 1/2 way has NOTHING to do with the fob.

You likely need the trunk struts adjusted.

Me either. It works perfectly fine for me. I also don't need to use the fob. I can just hit the little button on the trunk and it'll open, so long as the car has unlocked (mirrors unfolded). It does take an extra second or two most times, but it's never not worked for me at all.
I hope that Lucid is designing in a system for the Gravity like other manufacturers that can determine position of key fob within millimeters and do it very power efficiently, and does indeed work perfectly. The current system on the Air has a difficult time fathoming within fathoms and is not remotely as good as pretty much any other manufacturer. Hopefully, they can then implement on future versions of the Air. It’s very hard to be the best car when something as basic as lock/unlock is inferior.

I can walk up directly behind the car wait 5 seconds or push the trunk open button once wait 3 seconds and push again and it'll open.

Back