Keyfob/Mobile Key proximity to trunk does not unlock

Yesterday my wife drove the AGT, she has the app on her iPhone. Car In a parking deck, car would not open, Lucid customer service could not help, my daughter drove a key fob out, no luck, battery dead, called a 2nd time, again Lucid customer service no help, had to drive home, get a key card. Luckily the car was in a safe place, but this could have been a dangerous disaster. How would you feel if a loved one couldn’t get in the car and something bad happened? We can’t all be expected to have others carry a Lucid card key in their wallet or to not trust the fobs. Heck, I leave my wallet locked in the car often which is where i keep my back up Lucid key card. This is more of a cry for help to Lucid, people can be hurt if they do not make serious changes to several parts of this experience.
Screenshot_20230728_213442_Gallery.jpg

Try this with your fobs. Push the door handle until.you hear boot up. Put key approximately there with no battery. Door handles should pop open. If not, move key around, if it still doesn't open, ask for a new fob.

Luckily, we have multiple ways to open the car. If this were any other car which did not have a physical key, itd be the same scenario where you'd have to go home and find a second key no?

Yesterday my wife drove the AGT, she has the app on her iPhone.
Having the app on your phone isn’t the same as having set up mobile key. I highly recommend she (and you) set up mobile key.

Also, fobs work without a battery (or with a dead battery) as described previously in this thread.

Always carry the card.
Seriously, that’s your response. Every time someone drives your lucid you need to give them a key card as back up? That is certainly not feasible. Can Lucid do no wrong in your mind? Two calls to Lucid customer service and all they said was ”sorry we can’t help.” She tried placing the dead fob on the door pillar with zero success. My wife is the handiest person I know w/ this sort of stuff, much better than me and she had zero luck after many attempts.

Having the app on your phone isn’t the same as having set up mobile key. I highly recommend she (and you) set up mobile key.

Also, fobs work without a battery (or with a dead battery) as described previously in this thread.
When a person rings customer service twice and gets nowhere, there is a problem. She had a mobile app and a dead key fob. She should have had a better result.

View attachment 14453
Try this with your fobs. Push the door handle until.you hear boot up. Put key approximately there with no battery. Door handles should pop open. If not, move key around, if it still doesn't open, ask for a new fob.

Luckily, we have multiple ways to open the car. If this were any other car which did not have a physical key, itd be the same scenario where you'd have to go home and find a second key no?
If you say so, Lucid customer service certainly doesn’t know all your tricks or doesn’t agree. Two chats with them and we got nowhere.

If you say so, Lucid customer service certainly doesn’t know all your tricks or doesn’t agree. Two chats with them and we got nowhere.
This is what I've tested after reading the manual and getting help from Lucid, but 🤷‍♂️

This is what I've tested after reading the manual and getting help from Lucid, but 🤷‍♂️
I don’t disagree, but Lucid customer service should do a better job of helping a stranded Lucid driver. If it had been a dark, dangerous parking deck there could have been an issue. As it was the location was safe, but still very frustrating. I really just want Lucid to read this and make improvements. I have also sent them a constructive criticism e-mail.

Seriously, that’s your response. Every time someone drives your lucid you need to give them a key card as back up? That is certainly not feasible. Can Lucid do no wrong in your mind? Two calls to Lucid customer service and all they said was ”sorry we can’t help.” She tried placing the dead fob on the door pillar with zero success. My wife is the handiest person I know w/ this sort of stuff, much better than me and she had zero luck after many attempts.
Did she push in on the handle for a few seconds before placing the fob under that pillar?

It took a few of us a number of tries to understand the exact placement and the order of events. It's not exactly intuitive. But it is all spelled out in the manual. And it does work. I'd suggest giving it a try when you have the time and aren't in a panic-type situation.

I completely agree, Lucid's own customer support staff is woefully undertrained on many of the basic facts about the car, so it sucks they weren't of much help. Definitely an area where they need to improve. But the manual is actually quite helpful in many of these circumstances.

And I know you're going to say "is everyone who drives my car supposed to read the manual?" Frankly, yes. I'd never operate a 5,000 lb death machine without reading up on all the various bits and bobs it's supposed to be able to do. But that's just me.

There are tons of people here who have had the car a very long time and have experienced pretty much every issue you can imagine. Some of them are trying to help you avoid this situation in the future. If you just want to be mad, that's another story.

But this forum is not a venting machine. It's a community of people who try to solve problems.

The bottom line is that the Air actually has more emergency backup ways to get into the car and drive than most other cars. You just have to familiarize yourself with them and be prepared a bit ahead of time.

Did she push in on the handle for a few seconds before placing the fob under that pillar?

It took a few of us a number of tries to understand the exact placement and the order of events. It's not exactly intuitive. But it is all spelled out in the manual. And it does work. I'd suggest giving it a try when you have the time and aren't in a panic-type situation.

I completely agree, Lucid's own customer support staff is woefully undertrained on many of the basic facts about the car, so it sucks they weren't of much help. Definitely an area where they need to improve. But the manual is actually quite helpful in many of these circumstances.

And I know you're going to say "is everyone who drives my car supposed to read the manual?" Frankly, yes. I'd never operate a 5,000 lb death machine without reading up on all the various bits and bobs it's supposed to be able to do. But that's just me.

There are tons of people here who have had the car a very long time and have experienced pretty much every issue you can imagine. Some of them are trying to help you avoid this situation in the future. If you just want to be mad, that's another story.

But this forum is not a venting machine. It's a community of people who try to solve problems.

The bottom line is that the Air actually has more emergency backup ways to get into the car and drive than most other cars. You just have to familiarize yourself with them and be prepared a bit ahead of time.
Great info and good for you and me, lucid drivers. A non Lucid driver will not read the manual and Lucid customer service should have been able to help with something as simple gaining access to the vehicle. I am not venting, but trying to help Lucid be better as a company. Growing pains and teething for sure, but safety of users is also paramount. I will spend some time w/ my wife, but for now she never wants to drive the car again, which is understandable.

I approach the car parked in a grocery store parking lot. My hands are full of grocery bags. I somehow manage to press the button on the trunk to open it.
THE TRUNK DOES NOT OPEN!! I am told by Lucid Service that the rear of the car does not have a proximity sensor, hence cannot detect the key and cannot unlock.

I don't remember when was the last time I had a car that needed me to take my keyfob out and press unlock to access the trunk (my other ride is a BMW which can fly open the trunk with a leg wave). This is sooo backward in time, for a very futuristic car. If I have to list my biggest disappointments with the car, this tops the list!
Based on what I am told, this cannot even be fixed by OTA?
You are right about the trunk not opening fast enough, neither do the doors. Takes about 30 seconds, I have to go the the door, touch my phone to make sure it unlocks, then come back to the trunk and open it, not a very pretty scene, I had made this comment to one of the lucid teams in the past to fix this issue. It has probably something to do with the wake cycle time it takes to wake up lucid, which is quite a bit!

You are right about the trunk not opening fast enough, neither do the doors. Takes about 30 seconds, I have to go the the door, touch my phone to make sure it unlocks, then come back to the trunk and open it, not a very pretty scene, I had made this comment to one of the lucid teams in the past to fix this issue. It has probably something to do with the wake cycle time it takes to wake up lucid, which is quite a bit!
Please make a video of it taking that long. My door is unlocked by the time I get to the car, and I use mobile key exclusively.

Your tone is not appropriate for the forum. Dial it back please. You recall that I am the person that created an entire website of all the bugs and software items I’d like to see in the car, so yes, Lucid has done a lot of things that don’t meet my personal expectations.

To answer your question, yes, I always carry my card. If using mobile key exclusively, it is a good backup in case the phone has a dead battery or something else goes wrong. When my wife drives the car, which is seldom, I make sure that she has one of the key cards as well.

When a person rings customer service twice and gets nowhere, there is a problem. She had a mobile app and a dead key fob. She should have had a better result.
Once again, I will reiterate: you did not have mobile key set up. You and your wife should set up mobile key. Having the app installed, and hitting the button in the app to unlock, is not the same as setting up mobile key. Mobile key works without cellular service on either the phone or the car; the app requires cellular service on both. You and your wife should both ensure you have set up mobile key.

Also, the dead fob unlocks the door if you hold it in the right place and push in the door handle. I have done it myself; I can confirm it works. Handy or not, while it isn't intuitive, it is an emergency rescue procedure to be used when you don't have your mobile key (perhaps because your phone has died), key card, and a dead battery in the fob. That is not a typical situation (as most people have mobile key set up) but if your battery dies that does work.

I'm sorry customer service didn't tell your wife that, but it is worth knowing about your own car and reading its manual. If you lend it to someone and the battery dies, I Imagine they would call you or buy a new battery.

In all honesty I must confess I have walked away from my car and not manually locked it expecting it to lock like my last two Teslas. I used to do this 90% of the time and unless I had an unobstructed view walking back to the car I assumed the door handles popped up due to my proximity. I realized after a while that this was not always the case and the car was not locking all the time so when I walk away I have to look back to make sure this happens. A little annoying but all in all a small quirk when I think back on the early software versions. I assume Lucid will address this in future updates unless this is a problem due to Bluetooth connectivity like others here have suspected

Back