ChargePoint et al

EVCar

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
GT
Wondering what the best/common practice is for contingency plan when EA fails on trips.
Do you install an app for non-EA on your phone?
How may apps and which one(s) do you recommend?

Wondering what the best/common practice is for contingency plan when EA fails on trips.
I have found that Chargepoint and EVGo both work well and are easy to set up on the phone. Download the apps and they walk you through simple set up. Both have worked for me since EA started failing. PlugShare is also recommended as it rates various stations and identifies all the different charging options.

For road tripping, I have Chargepoint, Plugsgare, Shell Recharge, Electrify America and EvGo. But, I think Chargepoint can handle itself, EVGo and Shell Recharge now. But I haven't used anything besides EA...yet...hopefully never.

I use Plugshare to find stations, ABRP for route planning and have had Chargepoint, EVgo and Blink accounts that we established when we got the Leaf.

Yes, I have installed EV charging apps on my phone, for those three plus Electrify America, Volta, SemaConnect and EV connect, how many apps is up to you. I just have all those in a folder “Ev Charging” On the Home Screen of my phone.

Different states tend to have different charging station companies. Use Plugshare to see whose CCS stations will be along your route. Set filters - use the funnel icon in the app's upper-right corner or under the menu bars in the upper-left corner of the web interface - to set car type to Lucid Air, and disable all filters except Quick charge CCS/SAE Combo (unless you are in a bind, then turn on the other slow-charging possibilities for the Air). For travel in the west, I have five different sets of phone apps and associated accounts. Also a habit from my Leaf/Soul EV days.

Different states tend to have different charging station companies. Use Plugshare to see whose CCS stations will be along your route. Set filters - use the funnel icon in the app's upper-right corner or under the menu bars in the upper-left corner of the web interface - to set car type to Lucid Air, and disable all filters except Quick charge CCS/SAE Combo (unless you are in a bind, then turn on the other slow-charging possibilities for the Air). For travel in the west, I have five different sets of phone apps and associated accounts. Also a habit from my Leaf/Soul EV days.
Is it necessary to have all these apps or can you just pay with a Visa credit card if the EA does not work?

Is it necessary to have all these apps or can you just pay with a Visa credit card if the EA does not work?
Depends on what state you are traveling through. In California, all EV chargers are required to accept credit cards without needing an app. Not sure how many other states have legislated this.

Back