Ceramic coating, window tinting, and wraps

My PPF was treated with Adam's Advanced Graphene Coating, which supposedly lasts a couple of years, but I was thinking about rejuvenating it with something like a 303 Graphene Spray Coating after a carwash. Or am I committed to use Adam's line of products?
As Gabe stated, vendors make systems designed to work within their product line. For Adams, I would use their Graphene Boost - water based spray, spread, and wipe. Generally all the products designed to go over the top of a ceramic coat are that easy to apply. Apply every 3 to 6 months (even though they say it can last 6 - 9 months). I'm assuming you used their spray coating. I applied 3 coats of the advanced spray product to my daughter's car. It's a consumer grade product that isn't as concentrated as their wipe on small bottle product and she almost never washes the car.

Almost all the "pro" only products have their own boost products. I'm having XPEL ceramic applied so I will be getting the XPEL ceramic boost spray.

Ok, dumb question but I promise I actually spent time looking before posting. About a week or so ago a user on this forum posted pictures of awesome customizations he/she did to a black AGT. He/She also listed out all the customizations to include new high performance rims and painted calipers. I believe @hydbob asked abt cost.

For the life of me I can’t find where in the forum the pictures and list of customizations reside. Can anyone send a link to the thread? Much appreciated in advance.

I’m surprised that manufacturers haven’t caught onto the PPF movement and started to offer it as an option on their cars direct from the factory.
I head Lucid was considering this. I'd add it before delivery.

So PPF that is "ceramic coated" is technically only impregnated - you get a boost in gloss and some additional chemical resistance but it doesn't replace a traditional coating. We are a Ceramic Pro shop so we install their PPF & Vinyl Base & TopCoat, which are formulated to bond with PPF. PPF is softer than vehicle clear coat, so protecting it is always the best-case scenario.
Ceramic Coating only enhances PPF. The impregnated PPF just holds up better over time vs PPF which is not. That's the big difference. The ceramic just significantly enhances rigidity.

In 12 months when you wash your PPF'd car vs a car that has had PPF, and ceramic coating applied, the coated car will have better hydrophobic every time.

All of our full vehicle PPF installs come with a single-layer coating application on top. That's included whether you want it or not. You can choose to upgrade to multilayers for additional gloss and hydrophobic but putting PPF on a vehicle, without coating it, ceramic film or not, is a giant missed opportunity to deliver value and protection for a client which is why we don't charge extra for that single layer.

I understand if you don't see the value - but shops that are selling you PPF as "ceramic coated" and it "doesn't need a coating" is simply just cutting corners on educating you just to get your to buy PPF. Ceramic-impregnated PPF does a great job and holds up better than non-impregnated but its still not impervious.

Sorry to make my first post a direct response like this - we will continue to develop LUCID content as we continue to get more of them.
Where are you located in Pennsylvania?

Ok, dumb question but I promise I actually spent time looking before posting. About a week or so ago a user on this forum posted pictures of awesome customizations he/she did to a black AGT. He/She also listed out all the customizations to include new high performance rims and painted calipers. I believe @hydbob asked abt cost.

For the life of me I can’t find where in the forum the pictures and list of customizations reside. Can anyone send a link to the thread? Much appreciated in advance.
Thread 'Interior and exterior modifications' https://lucidowners.com/threads/interior-and-exterior-modifications.2064/

I called my local ppf shop today to schedule a time for my silver Lucid agt that I'll receive at the end of this month. They recommended 10 mils xpel on the very front and 8 mils elsewhere, and I' thinking only doing from the windshield and forward. I was surprised to hear them saying that you may want to replace the xpel at five years because if you keep it on for ten years and remove it, it'll for sure take some paint with it in some areas to the extent that you'll need to repaint. It sounded like just to repaint such areas or panels but not the entire car. I'm not sure it'll look good to partially repaint a ten-year-old car. Anyhow, and as comparison, I keep my silver 2014 Altima in the garage and at the airport I keep it in a (nice) parking garage that has soft padded dividers (hanging down from the ceiling) been the stalls, and the paint looks like new. It doesn't have any ppf, and I don't remember ever even vaxing it since I bought it new. It only has five or less ~1/32 diameter small rock chips in the front that I've just dotted a little touchup paint in. I wasn't aware of that xpel actually may long-term damage your paint when the xpel is removed. Does anyone know if this is true or how serious it is? Since the ppf shop told me about it I think I must believe it. Any thoughts?

In case the local weather matters for xpel, I'm in WA in the very northwest, and it's not often we have it in the mid 80s and above and in the winter it's seldom below freezing.

Reactions: DJL
@Bel PPF in general can fatigue and yellow over time. It will also become very challenging to remove as it ages, and in some cases can damage the paint. The older the PPF is, the more expensive it will be to replace as it becomes challenging to get off in one piece.

OK I'm out. Even a hint of paint damage I'm done. Bye.

Reactions: Bel
Where are you located in Pennsylvania?

Pottstown PA! Sorry for the delay!

I called my local ppf shop today to schedule a time for my silver Lucid agt that I'll receive at the end of this month. They recommended 10 mils xpel on the very front and 8 mils elsewhere, and I' thinking only doing from the windshield and forward. I was surprised to hear them saying that you may want to replace the xpel at five years because if you keep it on for ten years and remove it, it'll for sure take some paint with it in some areas to the extent that you'll need to repaint. It sounded like just to repaint such areas or panels but not the entire car. I'm not sure it'll look good to partially repaint a ten-year-old car. Anyhow, and as comparison, I keep my silver 2014 Altima in the garage and at the airport I keep it in a (nice) parking garage that has soft padded dividers (hanging down from the ceiling) been the stalls, and the paint looks like new. It doesn't have any ppf, and I don't remember ever even vaxing it since I bought it new. It only has five or less ~1/32 diameter small rock chips in the front that I've just dotted a little touchup paint in. I wasn't aware of that xpel actually may long-term damage your paint when the xpel is removed. Does anyone know if this is true or how serious it is? Since the ppf shop told me about it I think I must believe it. Any thoughts?

In case the local weather matters for xpel, I'm in WA in the very northwest, and it's not often we have it in the mid 80s and above and in the winter it's seldom below freezing.

How PPF ages is directly related to how you care for the car. Installing ceramic coating ontop of the PPF would help with the weathering. Truly its all in how you care for the car. PPF will look like garbage if you abuse the car and don't wash it. But those issues hold true if you're not taking your time removing the film. It requires a steamer and patience. If you plan to abuse the car and not take care of it, PPF isn't for you.

@Bel PPF in general can fatigue and yellow over time. It will also become very challenging to remove as it ages, and in some cases can damage the paint. The older the PPF is, the more expensive it will be to replace as it becomes challenging to get off in one piece.

This in general holds true but is highly dependant upon the shop doing the work and if they are following proper procedures. Newer paint protection films don't have that issue anymore unless the vehicle has been repainted. We just removed PPF from an 8-year-old Porsche a few weeks ago. Took our time and it steamed off perfectly.

OK I'm out. Even a hint of paint damage I'm done. Bye.
The risk of damaging the paint only comes from improper removal and being impatient. Sure the risk is always there. We just pulled PPF that was 8 years old off a Porsche last week. It was yellowed and faded (back then, PPF in general really sucked, not so much an issue now) - we steam it off and took our time. Came off perfectly. The only time that paint damage is really an issue when removing PPF, is if a vehicle has been repainted.

Last edited:
Pottstown PA! Sorry for the delay!

How PPF ages is directly related to how you care for the car. Installing ceramic coating ontop of the PPF would help with the weathering. Truly its all in how you care for the car. PPF will look like garbage if you abuse the car and don't wash it. But those issues hold true if you're not taking your time removing the film. It requires a steamer and patience. If you plan to abuse the car and not take care of it, PPF isn't for you.

This in general holds true but is highly dependant upon the shop doing the work and if they are following proper procedures. Newer paint protection films don't have that issue anymore unless the vehicle has been repainted. We just removed PPF from an 8-year-old Porsche a few weeks ago. Took our time and it steamed off perfectly.

The risk of damaging the paint only comes from improper removal and being impatient. Sure the risk is always there. We just pulled PPF that was 8 years old off a Porsche last week. It was yellowed and faded (back then, PPF in general really sucked, not so much an issue now) - we steam it off and took our time. Came off perfectly. The only time that paint damage is really an issue when removing PPF, is if a vehicle has been repainted.
Xpel Ultimate is guaranteed not to yellow, crack, etc. for 10 years! As stated above it all depends upon your installer. If you are going to spend the money to get a quality installation including ceramic coating just take proper care of your car and use appropriate care when cleaning it.

Nick at LAS in Scottsdale is tasteful with design, very reasonable, delivers on
a deadline, and is trustworthy. Can't wait to share what he has for me Friday

😻

@Cosmo Cruz getting PPF!

20221024_180543-min-jpg.5929

20221024_180415-min-jpg.5930

View attachment 20221024_180543-min.jpg

View attachment 20221024_180415-min.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures
20221024_180939-min-jpg.5932

20221024_180913-min-jpg.5933

Attachments

• 20221024_180939-min.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 504
  • 20221024_180913-min.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 491
More pictures
20221024_180939-min-jpg.5932

20221024_180913-min-jpg.5933
You probably already know this, but a suggestion: ensure you cut out holes for the sensors. Teslas didn't always need this, but because the Lucid sensors are recessed, you'll have to cut those out for them to continue to work properly.

You probably already know this, but a suggestion: ensure you cut out holes for the sensors. Teslas didn't always need this, but because the Lucid sensors are recessed, you'll have to cut those out for them to continue to work properly.
That runs true for just about any vehicle.

Kudos to Total Detailing in Pottstown, PA for the "full monte" treatment. The car looks like a space ship. The work is flawless. The paint looks car-show perfect. The black plastic bits are mirror deep. It's just all-over wonderful. I'll post photos when the sun comes back.

Back