Ceramic coating, window tinting, and wraps

Ceramic coatings do not last very long and as you have accessed it does not stop chips. PPF with hydrophobic is incredibly easy to wash. Also get a a soap foamer it does a great job.

I used Xpel plus which has a hydrophobic impregnated. What would be the purpose of putting on a ceramic coating over the ppf if it is already imbibed with a hydrophobic one? I have used various things film coatings in my manufacturing operation ranging from vacuum deposition to military grade ppfs. It’s just getting money for no appreciable difference.
The good ceramic coatings do a much better job than the hydrophobic coated PPF, in my experience. But it is optional, of course.

Lucid doesn’t care ... but you keep saying saran wrap and grease coating; please let’s try and use the correct names so we understand each other.
Let me update you on the correct technical terms of art:
Saran Wrap = PPF
grease coating = ceramic goop

The good ceramic coatings do a much better job than the hydrophobic coated PPF, in my experience. But it is optional, of course.
Singularly a ceramic coating regardless of its properties can not prevent stone chips on the paint to the same degree as a good PPF.

I used Xpel plus which has a hydrophobic impregnated. What would be the purpose of putting on a ceramic coating over the ppf if it is already imbibed with a hydrophobic one? I have used various things film coatings in my manufacturing operation ranging from vacuum deposition to military grade ppfs. It’s just getting money for no appreciable difference.
So PPF that is "ceramic coated" is technically only impregnated - you get a boost in gloss and some additional chemical resistance but it doesn't replace a traditional coating. We are a Ceramic Pro shop so we install their PPF & Vinyl Base & TopCoat, which are formulated to bond with PPF. PPF is softer than vehicle clear coat, so protecting it is always the best-case scenario.
Ceramic Coating only enhances PPF. The impregnated PPF just holds up better over time vs PPF which is not. That's the big difference. The ceramic just significantly enhances rigidity.

In 12 months when you wash your PPF'd car vs a car that has had PPF, and ceramic coating applied, the coated car will have better hydrophobic every time.

All of our full vehicle PPF installs come with a single-layer coating application on top. That's included whether you want it or not. You can choose to upgrade to multilayers for additional gloss and hydrophobic but putting PPF on a vehicle, without coating it, ceramic film or not, is a giant missed opportunity to deliver value and protection for a client which is why we don't charge extra for that single layer.

I understand if you don't see the value - but shops that are selling you PPF as "ceramic coated" and it "doesn't need a coating" is simply just cutting corners on educating you just to get your to buy PPF. Ceramic-impregnated PPF does a great job and holds up better than non-impregnated but its still not impervious.

Sorry to make my first post a direct response like this - we will continue to develop LUCID content as we continue to get more of them.

So PPF that is "ceramic coated" is technically only impregnated - you get a boost in gloss and some additional chemical resistance but it doesn't replace a traditional coating. We are a Ceramic Pro shop so we install their PPF & Vinyl Base & TopCoat, which are formulated to bond with PPF. PPF is softer than vehicle clear coat, so protecting it is always the best-case scenario.
Ceramic Coating only enhances PPF. The impregnated PPF just holds up better over time vs PPF which is not. That's the big difference. The ceramic just significantly enhances rigidity.

In 12 months when you wash your PPF'd car vs a car that has had PPF, and ceramic coating applied, the coated car will have better hydrophobic every time.

All of our full vehicle PPF installs come with a single-layer coating application on top. That's included whether you want it or not. You can choose to upgrade to multilayers for additional gloss and hydrophobic but putting PPF on a vehicle, without coating it, ceramic film or not, is a giant missed opportunity to deliver value and protection for a client which is why we don't charge extra for that single layer.

I understand if you don't see the value - but shops that are selling you PPF as "ceramic coated" and it "doesn't need a coating" is simply just cutting corners on educating you just to get your to buy PPF. Ceramic-impregnated PPF does a great job and holds up better than non-impregnated but its still not impervious.

Sorry to make my first post a direct response like this - we will continue to develop LUCID content as we continue to get more of them.
I truly beg to differ with you. The key element is the PPF for protection. Current PPF material has a hydrophobic element impregnated into the material. This allows a very high contact angle for water thus a very good beefing effect and shedding of water. Regardless all PPF material’s will dull over time regardless. The primary reason is the exfoliation of the coating due to different substrates.

I truly beg to differ with you. The key element is the PPF for protection. Current PPF material has a hydrophobic element impregnated into the material. This allows a very high contact angle for water thus a very good beefing effect and shedding of water. Regardless all PPF material’s will dull over time regardless. The primary reason is the exfoliation of the coating due to different substrates.

No one is arguing the fact that PPF is indeed the key protective element.

Yes, the high contact angle is indeed the primary goal and creates a hydrophobic surface, but the ceramic that is impregnated into PPF (which is usually silicone assisted) doesn't replace the level of contact angle, chemical resistance or gloss as a solvent-delivered ceramic coating. That contact angle of the PPF also fades and can't really be restored, which is why adding ceramic coating on top of PPF is a good idea to help aid in the overall life span of the film, making it easier to clean and adding additional protection.

PPF indeed is the primary protective effort. My post didn't say that PPF wasn't. It was specifically related to the ceramic element in PPF. Not PPF in its entirety?

No one is arguing the fact that PPF is indeed the key protective element.

Yes, the high contact angle is indeed the primary goal and creates a hydrophobic surface, but the ceramic that is impregnated into PPF (which is usually silicone assisted) doesn't replace the level of contact angle, chemical resistance or gloss as a solvent-delivered ceramic coating. That contact angle of the PPF also fades and can't really be restored, which is why adding ceramic coating on top of PPF is a good idea to help aid in the overall life span of the film, making it easier to clean and adding additional protection.

PPF indeed is the primary protective effort. My post didn't say that PPF wasn't. It was specifically related to the ceramic element in PPF. Not PPF in its entirety?
You are wrong! The hydrophobic element can be reapplied do to the porosity of the PPF.

You are wrong! The hydrophobic element can be reapplied do to the porosity of the PPF.

*due

That's the solvent-delivered ceramic coating we are talking about. Yes. It can be reapplied. I don't understand how we are confusing this. The ceramic particles infused into the topcoat eventually wear off and don't come back. (meaning the particles IN THE PPF) The ceramic coating added on top of the film is what rejuvenates that. How are we misunderstanding this? No one is saying that the coating can't be reapplied later.

What I am telling you is that if you were to install Ceramic Impregnated PPF and not top it with a real ceramic coating, the hydrophobic properties of the film will eventually disappear and not return. You can use some type of detail spray during your washing but thats not a long term real protective option as its only water delivered with low solid content.

So yes. The ceramic coating applied on top of PPF is what can bring hydrophobics back to life. But applying ceramic coating ontop of new PPF is the best way to ensure the film stays visually clear for much much longer.

I don't understand what you think I am arguing????

Last edited:
*due

That's the solvent-delivered ceramic coating we are talking about. Yes. It can be reapplied. I don't understand how we are confusing this. The ceramic particles infused into the topcoat eventually wear off and don't come back. (meaning the particles IN THE PPF) The ceramic coating added on top of the film is what rejuvenates that. How are we misunderstanding this? No one is saying that the coating can't be reapplied later.

What I am telling you is that if you were to install Ceramic Impregnated PPF and not top it with a real ceramic coating, the hydrophobic properties of the film will eventually disappear and not return. You can use some type of detail spray during your washing but thats not a long term real protective option as its only water delivered with low solid content.

So yes. The ceramic coating applied on top of PPF is what can bring hydrophobics back to life. But applying ceramic coating ontop of new PPF is the best way to ensure the film stays visually clear for much much longer.

I don't understand what you think I am arguing????
It’s a non sequitur

So PPF that is "ceramic coated" is technically only impregnated - you get a boost in gloss and some additional chemical resistance but it doesn't replace a traditional coating. We are a Ceramic Pro shop so we install their PPF & Vinyl Base & TopCoat, which are formulated to bond with PPF.
Since you're the only Pro shop in the forum thus far, can I take advantage of your expertise and pop a quick question?
I've been pondering about periodically putting wax on top of the ceramic-coated PPF.
Is this a good, bad, or crazy idea?
Thanks.

Since you're the only Pro shop in the forum thus far, can I take advantage of your expertise and pop a quick question?
I've been pondering about periodically putting wax on top of the ceramic-coated PPF.
Thanks.
Bad. Supposedly wax screws up the ceramic coating and makes it LESS hydrophobic

Thanks.
Only if this something like GyeonWax which is a wax meant for coatings. But it should only be installed if the ppf has had an additional coating.

Singularly a ceramic coating regardless of its properties can not prevent stone chips on the paint to the same degree as a good PPF.
Show me where I said anything opposite of that?

Of course a ceramic coating doesn’t protect the paint; it just makes it hydrophobic and easier to clean.

I was saying the ceramic coating was optional, but beneficial, on top of PPF. It is the PPF that protects the paint. It is the ceramic that enhances the PPF, even if it is impregnated with a ceramic/hydrophobic coating, as @TotalDetailingPA outlined.

Show me where I said anything opposite of that?

Of course a ceramic coating doesn’t protect the paint; it just makes it hydrophobic and easier to clean.

I was saying the ceramic coating was optional, but beneficial, on top of PPF. It is the PPF that protects the paint. It is the ceramic that enhances the PPF, even if it is impregnated with a ceramic/hydrophobic coating, as @TotalDetailingPA outlined.

Thanks.
What about applying ceramic coatings from different brands?
It will depend on your context. Some coatings use a different carrier solvent than others, making them shed other coatings vs bonding with them.

Can you give some more context?

It will depend on your context. Some coatings use a different carrier solvent than others, making them shed other coatings vs bonding with them.

Can you give some more context?
My PPF was treated with Adam's Advanced Graphene Coating, which supposedly lasts a couple of years, but I was thinking about rejuvenating it with something like a 303 Graphene Spray Coating after a carwash. Or am I committed to use Adam's line of products?

Does ceramic pro's Kavaca PPF require ceramic coating over it as it claims to be impregnated with their ceramic coating?

Back