Ceramic coating, window tinting, and wraps

The good ceramic coatings do a much better job than the hydrophobic coated PPF, in my experience. But it is optional, of course.
Right. The hydrophobic properties of a good ceramic coating are much better than the hydrophobic properties of the hydrophobic impregnated PPF, especially long term.

I said nothing about paint protection.

Does ceramic pro's Kavaca PPF require ceramic coating over it as it claims to be impregnated with their ceramic coating?
“Require”? No.

But the impregnated PPF will eventually wear off and work less well than a ceramic coating on top of the PPF.

If you don’t have the budget, it’s fine. If you can top it with ceramic, it will last longer and be more effective (at being hydrophobic) but cost a little more.

This, of course, does not affect how well the PPF protects the paint. I have no idea how things are getting so confused on this thread.

My PPF was treated with Adam's Advanced Graphene Coating, which supposedly lasts a couple of years, but I was thinking about rejuvenating it with something like a 303 Graphene Spray Coating after a carwash. Or am I committed to use Adam's line of products?

You can definitely mix - don't be super connected to Adams. Its generally just a consumer grade product and not that "great" in comparison to others but it does the job. You could absolutely top it with 303. But of course, using Adams "spray coating" wouldn't be a bad idea - products are designed in systems.

Does ceramic pro's Kavaca PPF require ceramic coating over it as it claims to be impregnated with their ceramic coating?

It is not required. Everyone claims their "Ceramic Coated" PPF doesn't NEED to be ceramic coated but in general, its a good idea - coated film or not. Again - NOT REQUIRED, just like buying the extended warranty from Best Buy isn't really a requirement, but it doesn't hurt to have extra protection.

“Require”? No.

But the impregnated PPF will eventually wear off and work less well than a ceramic coating on top of the PPF.

If you don’t have the budget, it’s fine. If you can top it with ceramic, it will last longer and be more effective (at being hydrophobic) but cost a little more.

This, of course, does not affect how well the PPF protects the paint. I have no idea how things are getting so confused on this thread.

Correct. Me either, LOL.

Show me where I said anything opposite of that?

Of course a ceramic coating doesn’t protect the paint; it just makes it hydrophobic and easier to clean.

I was saying the ceramic coating was optional, but beneficial, on top of PPF. It is the PPF that protects the paint. It is the ceramic that enhances the PPF, even if it is impregnated with a ceramic/hydrophobic coating, as @TotalDetailingPA outlined.
Is it not true the hardness of ceramic protects soft paint? According to a detailer on a Lucid review video, it has soft paint.

Is it not true the hardness of ceramic protects soft paint? According to a detailer on a Lucid review video, it has soft paint.
Ceramic coating cures to a hardness to help reduce washing and drying marring, add chemical resistance, adds gloss, makes it easy to clean.

Ceramic coatings do NOT add any significant scratch resistance.

You can definitely mix - don't be super connected to Adams. Its generally just a consumer grade product and not that "great" in comparison to others but it does the job. You could absolutely top it with 303. But of course, using Adams "spray coating" wouldn't be a bad idea - products are designed in systems.
So what do you recommend for coating, in general and for DIY?
Thanks.

So what do you recommend for coating, in general and for DIY?
Thanks.
As a shop, it behooves me to recommend you see a professional to do paint correction prior to application. But you could probably pick up a bottle of Adams and it would look good. I am going to break a cardinal rule and post Tesla content here. This is a progression of professional wash videos on our process we follow.

First video: very talky.

Second Video: little shorter

Third video: shortest and professional quality

I am looking for a PPF/Ceramic company in Charlotte area. Recommendations would be appreciated.

I’m surprised that manufacturers haven’t caught onto the PPF movement and started to offer it as an option on their cars direct from the factory.
Some do. I think Rivian does for example.

I’m surprised that manufacturers haven’t caught onto the PPF movement and started to offer it as an option on their cars direct from the factory.
Personally I wouldn't want the car company to choose what PPF to use on the car from the factory, because the quality no doubt will be terrible. Car companies will find any way to save money so they'll upcharge you for the PPF but use the lowest quality to maximize profits. Not only that, the quality of the installation will suffer as they will most likely be templates, cut to allow for easy installation and the film edges would be very visible. A really good shop takes more than a few days to do PPF, and the edges of the film are often times wrapped and unnoticed. Gotta support those small independent shops too. It's really an art.

Ceramic coating cures to a hardness to help reduce washing and drying marring, add chemical resistance, adds gloss, makes it easy to clean.

Ceramic coatings do NOT add any significant scratch resistance.
Thank you for your experienced input here. Regarding wax applications on top of a ceramic coat, while I never wax, I do sometimes spot clean the car with Meguiars spray wash and wax which has wax in it (I have SunTek PPF on the front/hood/mirrors and Adams Graphene spray self applied on the rest). Would this be messing up they hydrophobicity of the coating on my SunTek and Adams? I’ve noticed the SunTek losing hydrophobicity, I’ve had it since April. The Adams seems to be holding up better but I didn’t do the best job applying it and had some high spots I needed to lightly polish out. My issue I’ve noticed is that there seems to be an almost electrostatic effect from the Graphene where it seems to like to cling onto lint from microfiber cloths that shouldn’t be depositing much lint, and it’s a crazy pollen magnet, possibly just more noticeable because it’s a black car?

Personally I wouldn't want the car company to choose what PPF to use on the car from the factory, because the quality no doubt will be terrible. Car companies will find any way to save money so they'll upcharge you for the PPF but use the lowest quality to maximize profits. Not only that, the quality of the installation will suffer as they will most likely be templates, cut to allow for easy installation and the film edges would be very visible. A really good shop takes more than a few days to do PPF, and the edges of the film are often times wrapped and unnoticed. Gotta support those small independent shops too. It's really an art.

My thoughts exactly. Your neighbourhood car dealership will find every method under the sun to screw it up, and then stick it to you with an outrageous markup anyway.

Some do. I think Rivian does for example.

Correct - although at a REALLY low rate, Rivian partnered with XPEL but ultimately the shops are the ones getting the shaft because Rivian sells it for next to nothing.

This is correct. We appreciate your understanding and support very much.

Thank you for your experienced input here. Regarding wax applications on top of a ceramic coat, while I never wax, I do sometimes spot clean the car with Meguiars spray wash and wax which has wax in it (I have SunTek PPF on the front/hood/mirrors and Adams Graphene spray self applied on the rest). Would this be messing up they hydrophobicity of the coating on my SunTek and Adams? I’ve noticed the SunTek losing hydrophobicity, I’ve had it since April. The Adams seems to be holding up better but I didn’t do the best job applying it and had some high spots I needed to lightly polish out. My issue I’ve noticed is that there seems to be an almost electrostatic effect from the Graphene where it seems to like to cling onto lint from microfiber cloths that shouldn’t be depositing much lint, and it’s a crazy pollen magnet, possibly just more noticeable because it’s a black car?

It can eventually clog the coating and it will need to be deconned. A quick detailer is good for spot cleaning, avoid using anything with the word "wax" in it. Polymer synthetic products do the best job. Linting microfiber towels is a constant problem with any car. No towels are nearly lint-free. Finding plush, low-lint towels is the challenge. Something with a low pile will do best.

The Clean Garage is a local business near me, that has really awesome supplies. This is their towel - it is by far the best towel I've used.
https://clean-garage.com/pinky-edgeless-pearl-weave-microfiber-coating-polishing-towels-20-pack/

This is a great decon product to clean a coating that is clogged. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER!

https://clean-garage.com/carpro-descale-500ml-acid-wash-car-shampoo/

My thoughts exactly. Your neighbourhood car dealership will find every method under the sun to screw it up, and then stick it to you with an outrageous markup anyway.

Boom. Nail - meet heat.

So happy to see Gabe has joined us. I am making arrangements to drop ship my car directly to him with the white shipping wrap still on the car. This past month I have been peppering him with questions just like what's above...changed my mind at least a dozen times, made some major Fox Paws (sorry Gabe), learned some things, and probably have a new friend. This is a big stretch buying this car and I'm nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. The emotional roller-coaster has messed up my sugar making me irritable and crushing what little decorum I had. Gabe has been so chill with me: do you see how deftly he handles our questions and confusion? It's nice to have a pro enter the chat.

Last edited:

It is not required. Everyone claims their "Ceramic Coated" PPF doesn't NEED to be ceramic coated but in general, its a good idea - coated film or not. Again - NOT REQUIRED, just like buying the extended warranty from Best Buy isn't really a requirement, but it doesn't hurt to have extra protection.

Correct. Me either, LOL.
Here’s another question. I’ve decided to have a pro put ceramic on the whole car (OptiCoat), however I self applied the Adams Graphene spray myself from the doors to the trunk (which are not PPF, only the front of the car up to and including the mirrors is PPF). Is that going to cause a problem for applying and getting the maximum benefit of the OptiCoat (silicon carbide)? Like would it be better to polish out the Adams and paint correct then apply the new ceramic? The Adams spray lasts 9-12 months based on what I’ve read, it’s just not super even, doesn’t give that black mirror gloss I was hoping for. It does make it easier to clean, but hey, I wouldn’t expect a $35 self applied spray to be as good as a $1600 full car OptiCoat.

Here’s another question. I’ve decided to have a pro put ceramic on the whole car (OptiCoat), however I self applied the Adams Graphene spray myself from the doors to the trunk (which are not PPF, only the front of the car up to and including the mirrors is PPF). Is that going to cause a problem for applying and getting the maximum benefit of the OptiCoat (silicon carbide)? Like would it be better to polish out the Adams and paint correct then apply the new ceramic? The Adams spray lasts 9-12 months based on what I’ve read, it’s just not super even, doesn’t give that black mirror gloss I was hoping for. It does make it easier to clean, but hey, I wouldn’t expect a $35 self applied spray to be as good as a $1600 full car OptiCoat.
Disclose it and I would fully expect him to sand off the previous coat first. If he doesn't find a new installer. 😁

Make sure you disclose that you've done that and ensure that at least a paint enhancement polish is included with the coating (most of the time, it is at that price). A quick polish will remove that "coating" from Adams. The Adams will disappear during paint correction, you don't need to prep that twice. Just normal machine prep polishing will take care of it.

The shine you want comes from machine polishing first and then adding ceramic coating.

Make sure you disclose that you've done that and ensure that at least a paint enhancement polish is included with the coating (most of the time, it is at that price). A quick polish will remove that "coating" from Adams. The Adams will disappear during paint correction, you don't need to prep that twice. Just normal machine prep polishing will take care of it.

The shine you want comes from machine polishing first and then adding ceramic coating.
Thanks! I did try to polish out a couple high spots from the graphene with a white pad (by hand, I don’t have a machine polisher) and it didn’t work, but did take care of a few other high spots. Lesson learned, leave it to the pros if it’s a high end car. I’m still gonna self apply the Graphene spray to the wife’s Subaru cuz that car is already dinged up, it’s just to make it easier to wash in the winter because my wife’s idea of washing a car is waiting until it rains 🤦‍♂️.

Oh and thanks for the clean garage microfiber towel recommendation. I ordered a pack. I have the chemical guys ones and they’re about done. They’re ok for spot cleaning out bird/bug splat, but not for detailing after a few washes, they seem to throw more lint each time I use them.

Back