CarPlay is here! - Megathread

They will likely have a date released closer to when it is ready. Hard to put a date on it and then put pressure on your devs to have it working and ready. They don't want to release glitchy software if it's possible to simply not and get it right.

Oh wait..... Apple CarPlay is on Tesla? yeah, no.

The reason Apple CarPlay came out was because the traditional automakers didn't know how to design a car entertainment system to save themselves. Personally, I'd rather Lucid focus its attention on getting their own system working and fine tuned before throwing in Apple CarPlay just to appease people.

Oh wait..... Apple CarPlay is on Tesla? yeah, no.

The reason Apple CarPlay came out was because the traditional automakers didn't know how to design a car entertainment system to save themselves. Personally, I'd rather Lucid focus its attention on getting their own system working and fine tuned before throwing in Apple CarPlay just to appease people.
The Lucid nav is presumably the HERE Maps canned nav software warmed over. So it will probably never be as good as Apple or Google/Waze (with the exception of dynamically considering the car's state of charge).

Lucid is making mistakes here. I am considering the Lucid Air, but there are an awful lot of things that are just vaporware. Anyone can make promises, and I suppose some people find that acceptable, but Lucid isn't coming through for its customer base. Example, Apple CarPlay is a must. So where is it? I can get it on cheap sedans but I can't get it on the very expensive Lucid? And I get it - they say it will come out, but when? It is unreasonable for Lucid to basically say. "trust us - we will get you the car in five or six months, and sometime thereafter we will make everything work as we promise." "Just trust us."
I am much happier that the car drives / handles as well or better than a Taycan

and that OTA updates will catch up.

Fixing HW / Handling is horrible process.

then again (each to their own) - I have been driving long enough that I remember pre-car play / android auto / built in GPS etc

The Lucid nav is presumably the HERE Maps canned nav software warmed over. So it will probably never be as good as Apple or Google/Waze (with the exception of dynamically considering the car's state of charge).
Yes and I highly doubt that Apple Maps or Google/Waze will have access to the cars efficiency stats to work out charging stops/times etc. So are you going to manually program them in? Keep in mind if you manually program them in then you get no realtime info to how the car is performing (wind, etc). Using the cars navigation system with factor all this in. For example, I experienced high winds on the way to SF last week and needed to make an additional stop. The car factored this in and told me to add another stop along the route. If I used Apple Maps it would be none the wiser because it doesn't have access to this information.

Until these apps get access to the cars stats they're useless. Works for ICE but not for EV's

Lucid should at least give us a glimpse or preview of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I mean, they can make a video or do a quick demonstration of some features to at least indicate they are actively working on it. I know this would commit them to actually having a product, but maybe they still want a way out?

Many people sound like they have lost confidence in Lucid’s release of CarPlay. I would venture to say that’s due to the other parts of the software so far behind in developement. Of course, this is not something that is developed serially, but it feels that they have low staffing or low competence.

Maybe I’ve been retired too long or can’t comprehend the scope of the work, but it seems a single dedicated person should be able to ‘bang’ out a CarPlay implementation.

One option could be that Lucid is waiting till Apple CarPlay supports full screen, or even vertical screens. For example, in the BMW, it does expand naturally to the full screen. Rather, it shows the name of the device in the blank space:

IMG_9260.JPG

In some cars it just has black borders. Not sure if Apple CarPlay supports vertical screens or full screen yet, and if it doesn't that could be causing major delay.

One option could be that Lucid is waiting till Apple CarPlay supports full screen, or even vertical screens. For example, in the BMW, it does expand naturally to the full screen. Rather, it shows the name of the device in the blank space:

View attachment 1177

In some cars it just has black borders. Not sure if Apple CarPlay supports vertical screens or full screen yet, and if it doesn't that could be causing major delay.
BMW also supports the navigation directions in the HUD. Lucid could also support it by displaying those directions in the right main panel, where currently is just displays the word Air and the right turn signal camera.

Lucid should at least give us a glimpse or preview of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I mean, they can make a video or do a quick demonstration of some features to at least indicate they are actively working on it. I know this would commit them to actually having a product, but maybe they still want a way out?

Many people sound like they have lost confidence in Lucid’s release of CarPlay. I would venture to say that’s due to the other parts of the software so far behind in developement. Of course, this is not something that is developed serially, but it feels that they have low staffing or low competence.

Maybe I’ve been retired too long or can’t comprehend the scope of the work, but it seems a single dedicated person should be able to ‘bang’ out a CarPlay implementation.

There are a lot of moving parts.
1) does apple support the aspect ratio? If not, gotta wait till a new release before launching.
2) apple may be slow at approving it.

Any time you are working on integrations, there is potential for issues with other companies. Also, it may be on their list but prioritized lower than other things.

Lastly, “many people” is a big assumption. This forum is not a representative sample of owners, and those here are *more* likely to be upset about something than seek it out to rave about it. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying we don’t know.

It will come when it comes. Until then, the car is a blast to drive. :)

There are a lot of moving parts.
1) does apple support the aspect ratio? If not, gotta wait till a new release before launching.
2) apple may be slow at approving it.

Any time you are working on integrations, there is potential for issues with other companies. Also, it may be on their list but prioritized lower than other things.

Lastly, “many people” is a big assumption. This forum is not a representative sample of owners, and those here are *more* likely to be upset about something than seek it out to rave about it. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying we don’t know.

It will come when it comes. Until then, the car is a blast to drive. :)
Yea, actually CarPlay and Android Auto are VERY low to almost non-existent on my personal list of improvements. I'd much rather have, currently, a dashcam and/or sentry mode as my #1 priority. #2 would be to have dual screen use with music/nav or some combo, but I fully expect this won't be until they integrate the new version of Android Automotive where a dual screen is actually supported.

They should put the music on the right side of the instrument cluster where it currently says Air. Pilot Panel for the Nav map like Tesla.

They should put the music on the right side of the instrument cluster where it currently says Air. Pilot Panel for the Nav map like Tesla.

If you watch some of their videos, the Air is clearly a placeholder for future nav / music. The idea, as I understand it, is that in the future you’ll be able to set up that panel however you like, and it’ll be tied to your profile - so each profile could have its own dash setup.

Just not there quite yet.

Now I see how some posters have over 500 messages. Make 3 posts on Carplay and 3 posts on unlocking/locking doors and repeat tomorrow

I am not 100 % sure but the strange unlock followed by a few re-lock unlock events may be connected to a low key bob battery power? The car has been doing the lock unlock dance the last few days and this morning the key fab battery was dead. I replaced the battery and everything seems to work again.

I am not 100 % sure but the strange unlock followed by a few re-lock unlock events may be connected to a low key bob battery power? The car has been doing the lock unlock dance the last few days and this morning the key fab battery was dead. I replaced the battery and everything seems to work again.

This may have been solved in 1.2.1, see the release note:

1648145506114.jpeg

How could a key fob need a new battery so soon? I have never had to change a battery in less than 3 years and our most used car a Cadillac XT5 is five years old and still has the original key fob batteries….

How could a key fob need a new battery so soon? I have never had to change a battery in less than 3 years and our most used car a Cadillac XT5 is five years old and still has the original key fob batteries….

Possible it’s a bad batch, or that the fobs were produced earlier than the cars.

Possible it’s a bad batch, or that the fobs were produced earlier than the cars.
One of my keyfobs totally died, actually. So it may be some bad fobs?

Also, for carplay it is definitely differently on various folk's importance list. To me, as long as nav and audio get improved, I don't actually care about it at all.

One of my keyfobs totally died, actually. So it may be some bad fobs?

Also, for carplay it is definitely differently on various folk's importance list. To me, as long as nav and audio get improved, I don't actually care about it at all.
Like it died and doesn't work or the battery is dead and it's fine?

Also CR 2032 are hit and miss for me already before the key fob, regardless if it's Duracell, Energizer, off brand China

Like it died and doesn't work or the battery is dead and it's fine?

Also CR 2032 are hit and miss for me already before the key fob, regardless if it's Duracell, Energizer, off brand China
fully dead, I tried swapping battery and it didn't work. They will look at it next week or the week after.

Back