• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

CarPlay is here! - Megathread

To me, as long as nav and audio get improved, I don't actually care about it at all.
Agree. I don't get what the big deal is. The limitations of what you can do with CarPlay while driving annoy me and at least in the Audi it just has this really clunky way of connecting wirelessly where it can't do it in the background, it just takes over as soon as the car finds it. It seems the Lucid system is capable of Apps so would rather them focusing on putting the popular apps into the system than connect to a phone to run them off etc.

Future owner opinion : For me CarPlay is compelling for Atmos with Apple Music, podcast, Sirius XM and also perhaps nav unless the nav / traffic are really good in the factory software.

How could a key fob need a new battery so soon? I have never had to change a battery in less than 3 years and our most used car a Cadillac XT5 is five years old and still has the original key fob batteries….
This is battery number 2. Was changed once before when the Lucid Service rep came to check the car for the recall. But yes you are correct The Taycan is approaching two years and it is on the original key Fob Battery.
One of my keyfobs totally died, actually. So it may be some bad fobs?

Also, for carplay it is definitely differently on various folk's importance list. To me, as long as nav and audio get improved, I don't actually care about it at all.
Basically, that's what Carplay does. It provides a better Audio and Nav experience and everything in between.

Future owner opinion : For me CarPlay is compelling for Atmos with Apple Music, podcast, Sirius XM and also perhaps nav unless the nav / traffic are really good in the factory software.
So I want CarPlay primarily for access to Apple Music which has a huge number of Dolby Atmos recordings (far more than Tidal!!). Also I like Waze for access to real time information (police locations, accidents, etc). Also podcasts, Ted talks, etc.

So I want CarPlay primarily for access to Apple Music which has a huge number of Dolby Atmos recordings (far more than Tidal!!). Also I like Waze for access to real time information (police locations, accidents, etc). Also podcasts, Ted talks, etc.
I haven’t had a car with wireless CarPlay, but I find wired CarPlay very handy for music, messaging, Waze - and most importantly, voice command of the phone, since Alexa in the Lucid currently “does not support” voice dialing. It is the car’s biggest failure, in my opinion.

Lucid should at least give us a glimpse or preview of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. I mean, they can make a video or do a quick demonstration of some features to at least indicate they are actively working on it. I know this would commit them to actually having a product, but maybe they still want a way out?

Many people sound like they have lost confidence in Lucid’s release of CarPlay. I would venture to say that’s due to the other parts of the software so far behind in developement. Of course, this is not something that is developed serially, but it feels that they have low staffing or low competence.

Maybe I’ve been retired too long or can’t comprehend the scope of the work, but it seems a single dedicated person should be able to ‘bang’ out a CarPlay implementation.
From my sources we are looking at the end of the year for Carplay as they have other items that are taking precedent

I haven’t had a car with wireless CarPlay, but I find wired CarPlay very handy for music, messaging, Waze - and most importantly, voice command of the phone, since Alexa in the Lucid currently “does not support” voice dialing. It is the car’s biggest failure, in my opinion.
Cant you link your iPhone through Bluetooth and have Siri dial a number?

For people who have more knowledge, is this entirely on Apple to approve CarPlay? Assuming Lucid has submitted the necessary items to Apple?

For people who have more knowledge, is this entirely on Apple to approve CarPlay? Assuming Lucid has submitted the necessary items to Apple?

CarPlay is free for car makers to use and add into their system([1]). CarPlay is updated every time iOS is updated as well. The next update comes out in August sometime, with the details and beta being released this June. I just got my invite to WWDC for June 7-11.

FWIW Lucid would just need to be an approved Apple Developer Program business, which we know they are since they have an iOS app already.

That being said, they want to integrate Android Auto as well, not sure if Lucid will wait for both to be capable with Lucid's screens before releasing.

Here's a CarPlay Tech talk from 2016: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/722/ Skip to 16:20ish.

Here are the supported resolutions: They mention only landscape is supported and other resolutions must be negotiated through Apple directly.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 3.37.30 PM.png

Last edited:
Lucid's software engineers may be busy working on the switch to the newly released "Android R" version of AAOS, which some of us in the peanut gallery are thinking has functionality that is required for Android Auto and Car Play. Android R's implementation in Volvo's AAOS cars has just been announced but hasn't been released OTA yet - supposedly 3rd week of April.

Lucid's software engineers may be busy working on the switch to the newly released "Android R" version of AAOS, which some of us in the peanut gallery are thinking has functionality that is required for Android Auto and Car Play. Android R's implementation in Volvo's AAOS cars has just been announced but hasn't been released OTA yet - supposedly 3rd week of April.
Right, this should include the ability to use dual screens for multi-purpose things right? i.e. nav on 1 screen music on the other?

Right, this should include the ability to use dual screens for multi-purpose things right? i.e. nav on 1 screen music on the other?
I imagine that would be possible now - my Volvo (on the previous version of AAOS) keeps a navigation map view in the driver display while anything else can be viewed/controlled in the center main display.

Last edited:
As an app developer that worked on CarPlay related items, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is a bottleneck also. Meaning, that Apple wants it to look a specific way and Lucid is having a hard time getting it there.

As an app developer that worked on CarPlay related items, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is a bottleneck also. Meaning, that Apple wants it to look a specific way and Lucid is having a hard time getting it there.
could be but then why would that delay the Android Auto rollout? AFAIK Google doesn't have strict review (if any) policy as Apple.

Back