CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but everything I've heard internally (from some pretty high up folks) CarPlay is not close to shipping soon. I hope I'm wrong but don't hold your breath.
Well, since my car is not shipping soon either, it doesn't really matter.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but everything I've heard internally (from some pretty high up folks) CarPlay is not close to shipping soon. I hope I'm wrong but don't hold your breath.
Well Jon perhaps if we can't get Apple CarPlay anytime soon, is it possible we could get the ability to use the USB connection to direct connect our iPhone and play Dolby Atmos recordings downloaded from Apple Music? Maybe you could suggest that to your connections please?

Well Jon perhaps if we can't get Apple CarPlay anytime soon, is it possible we could get the ability to use the USB connection to direct connect our iPhone and play Dolby Atmos recordings downloaded from Apple Music? Maybe you could suggest that to your connections please?
I have. Many, many times. As well long-press the voice assistant button to pull up Siri/Google assistant.

I have. Many, many times. As well long-press the voice assistant button to pull up Siri/Google assistant.
I have requested this many times, including filing a bug report. I'm sorry to say, it seems the Lucid "Engineers" are not adept at any creativity or their "Management" is lacking basic understanding of solving software problems and directing resources to solve immediate needs. They have had years to fine tune the UI, but is seems that they just realized they have problems. I could go on about the various issues that still need to be addressed, but I will limit this post to the long-press button which I am including here in case someone is not familiar it:

There is a mode for Siri called "Sir Eyes Free" where if you press the microphone button (usually a long press - a short press uses the car's voice system), Siri will respond through your car's audio system and you can make requests without unlocking your phone. This was a feature which was popular before Apple CarPlay, although it still works if you have CarPlay installed. As a starter, Lucid could at least implement the Sir Eyes Free feature for now. Siri Eyes Free works with the Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) profile, which is used for messaging, which Lucid also supports. They just need to implement a long press on the microphone button using the appropriate bluetooth message to be sent.​

I have requested this many times, including filing a bug report. I'm sorry to say, it seems the Lucid "Engineers" are not adept at any creativity or their "Management" is lacking basic understanding of solving software problems and directing resources to solve immediate needs. They have had years to fine tune the UI, but is seems that they just realized they have problems. I could go on about the various issues that still need to be addressed, but I will limit this post to the long-press button which I am including here in case someone is not familiar it:

There is a mode for Siri called "Sir Eyes Free" where if you press the microphone button (usually a long press - a short press uses the car's voice system), Siri will respond through your car's audio system and you can make requests without unlocking your phone. This was a feature which was popular before Apple CarPlay, although it still works if you have CarPlay installed. As a starter, Lucid could at least implement the Sir Eyes Free feature for now. Siri Eyes Free works with the Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) profile, which is used for messaging, which Lucid also supports. They just need to implement a long press on the microphone button using the appropriate bluetooth message to be sent.​
How does this work if you don't have an iphone?

It’s been 2 - 3 years for Polestar and still no CarPlay even though it’s “Compatible”. If you’re heavily reliant on a car needing CarPlay then get one that has it available at the time of purchase. “Compatible” “coming soon” mean nothing as it could be 3 months away or 3 years.

How does this work if you don't have an iphone?
It's supposed to be the same for a paired Android Phone - Just hold the car's talk button down for a while which brings up Google Assitant. I don't know what this feature is called on Android, although the Bluetooth MAP support is the same. Holding the talk button down basically sends a Bluetooth signal as if the phone's Google Assitant button is pressed and connects the phone with Bluetooth.

I got to spend some time in a BMW i4 and iX last week. I wish the Lucid had iDrive 8. The BMWs are no match for the drive train on an Air DE. UI/UX in the Lucid is no match for the BMWs. There was so much customization that the Lucid lacks. System booted quickly, seat preferences were being adjusted as you opened the door, Car Play worked, there were physical buttons for homelink and mirrors. You could use the idrive controller or touch screen. I could immediately do so many things while driving that are impossible or nearly impossible in the Air. The BMWs are not 1111HP and I think the brakes on the Lucid deserve more credit than I have previously given them. Also, I like the Lucid interior, but while being more traditional, the iX interior did feel higher quality than the Air. Really brought home to me if the Air could get the software right, it would be what it aspires to be.

I got to spend some time in a BMW i4 and iX last week. I wish the Lucid had iDrive 8. The BMWs are no match for the drive train on an Air DE. UI/UX in the Lucid is no match for the BMWs. There was so much customization that the Lucid lacks. System booted quickly, seat preferences were being adjusted as you opened the door, Car Play worked, there were physical buttons for homelink and mirrors. You could use the idrive controller or touch screen. I could immediately do so many things while driving that are impossible or nearly impossible in the Air. The BMWs are not 1111HP and I think the brakes on the Lucid deserve more credit than I have previously given them. Also, I like the Lucid interior, but while being more traditional, the iX interior did feel higher quality than the Air. Really brought home to me if the Air could get the software right, it would be what it aspires to be.

Good comments. BMW is definitely on my alternative list. But, I would prefer a bit more range on the I4 and no Edsel grille. The grille is a bit more tolerable on the IX since the car has a broad and flat front end (like most SUVs) so in a dark color, it tends to disappear (a said commentary on BMW design that one wants the front end to disappear). The IX is very promising but is a tad larger than I prefer in an SUV (about the same length and width as the Lucid but so, so much taller).

iirc these legacy automakers rarely push software updates and with Lucid we have seen 5+ updates since the initial DE delivery which is probably more software updates you can expect from legacy automakers in their car's lifetime.

BMW plans regular over the air updates to iDrive 8.

Good comments. BMW is definitely on my alternative list. But, I would prefer a bit more range on the I4 and no Edsel grille. The grille is a bit more tolerable on the IX since the car has a broad and flat front end (like most SUVs) so in a dark color, it tends to disappear (a said commentary on BMW design that one wants the front end to disappear). The IX is very promising but is a tad larger than I prefer in an SUV (about the same length and width as the Lucid but so, so much taller).
The iX is almost exact size of Lucid Air. Behind the wheel my wife felt it drove smaller. There are probably a few reasons. Visibility, and the drivetrain software has a more traditional ICE feel. The transition from acceleration or steady state to regeneration had a bit of coast programmed in making the transitions smoother.

The iX is almost exact size of Lucid Air. Behind the wheel my wife felt it drove smaller. There are probably a few reasons. Visibility, and the drivetrain software has a more traditional ICE feel. The transition from acceleration or steady state to regeneration had a bit of coast programmed in making the transitions smoother.
Wow did this thread get off topic.

Back