CarPlay is here! - Megathread

I think it shocked me to find out is was not included, or even possible given every car I have purchased in the last decade has had it.

and many of us have not purchased it……yet.

Which is worse, no SiriusXM or the fact they can’t seem to paint a car Grey or silver?

To be fair, I "assumed" that it had it because ALL cars that we have purchased in the last 5-7 years came with satellite radio.

I think it shocked me to find out is was not included, or even possible given every car I have purchased in the last decade has had it.

and many of us have not purchased it……yet.

Which is worse, no SiriusXM or the fact they can’t seem to paint a car Grey or silver?
Do we have another cancellation coming?

Not for SiriusXM, but maybe for the lack of their ability to deliver what they promised. We’ll see. I have a deadline in my head so we’ll see what happens.

Not for SiriusXM, but maybe for the lack of their ability to deliver what they promised. We’ll see. I have a deadline in my head so we’ll see what happens.
If you want a really fast, long range EV then you have only two choices, at the moment, Lucid or Tesla. After driving the other cars, and not wanting a Tesla, I chose to keep my DE and just assume that it will be the end of this year, and maybe longer, before Lucid delivers software that makes it close to what it should be.

If you want a really fast, long range EV then you have only two choices, at the moment, Lucid or Tesla. After driving the other cars, and not wanting a Tesla, I chose to keep my DE and just assume that it will be the end of this year, and maybe longer, before Lucid delivers software that makes it close to what it should be.
It may take longer than a year. I would use the Tesla software as a benchmark. Although it took Tesla 10+ years to reach the level they are now at, most of that was UI redesign. The core feature-set/implementation has been improving over the years - most of it has been stable for some time. Lucid could use this as a benchmark to accelerate their development. Having driven the Lucid constantly for over a month, I drove my Model X yesterday. There have been may UI changes in the Tesla in the last moth, but the functions that I needed, like Satallite XM and self driving, were easy to engage.

SiriusXM could come in the form of an App like Tidal is currently in the cars. Yes, it will rely on a data connection but still better than nothing at all.

I just read that Android Auto is no longer a thing? That it's being transitioned over to Googlr Assistant drive mode. Could this be affecting the CarPlay status as mentioned by someone previously that they would try to release both simultaneously?

I just read that Android Auto is no longer a thing? That it's being transitioned over to Googlr Assistant drive mode. Could this be affecting the CarPlay status as mentioned by someone previously that they would try to release both simultaneously?
I think that is referring to the app on the phone - there will no longer be a separate Android Auto app, the functionality is built into Maps and Google Assistant. It doesn't affect the car's implementation.

I think you are referring to "Android Auto for Phone Screens" app which runs on an Android Phone - not a car screen. There are several articles online regarding this such as

But the takeaway is that Google Assistant Driving mode (which runs on the phone) is becoming more powerful and has replaced Android Auto for Phone Screens.

I think you are referring to "Android Auto for Phone Screens" app which runs on an Android Phone - not a car screen. There are several articles online regarding this such as

But the takeaway is that Google Assistant Driving mode (which runs on the phone) is becoming more powerful and has replaced Android Auto for Phone Screens.
Didn't Android Auto (inside car) require a phone to be running Android Auto (on the phone) to work in the car as well?

Didn't Android Auto (inside car) require a phone to be running Android Auto (on the phone) to work in the car as well?
Android Auto runs on the car - effectively being an additional screen for the phone, albeit a more simplified form. I don't know what the thing running on the phone is called, but it's built into Android (on the phone).

Anybody heard anything new on CarPlay?

Any reason to use SiriusXM vs Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music/Pandora/etc/etc?
I didn't see an answer to this so I'll give it a shot. Qualifier to my answer: I don't have my car yet. No. SiriusXM would have been a good choice IF the car had satellite connectivity for when cell service is spotty/unavailable. Tidal would have been the preferred music source as it is a built-in app to the infotainment system except it doesn't work with HiFi subscription. Amazon Music HD and Apple Music (and Tidal) are the only streaming services listed by Dolby as offering atmos encoded music. @SaratogaLefty finds that Apple music sounds better even using bluetooth than Tidal. I imagine that Amazon Music would sound similar but be better integrated with Alexa. Based on an assumed better integration with Alexa, I would rank Amazon Music #1 then Apple assuming similar music libraries. I don't have Amazon Music so can't say how extensive their collection is.

If they fix the issues with Tidal, that would move to #1 until Lucid implements Carplay/Auto. If you don't care about atmos encoded music, then any streaming service is fine.

I didn't see an answer to this so I'll give it a shot. Qualifier to my answer: I don't have my car yet. No. SiriusXM would have been a good choice IF the car had satellite connectivity for when cell service is spotty/unavailable. Tidal would have been the preferred music source as it is a built-in app to the infotainment system except it doesn't work with HiFi subscription. Amazon Music HD and Apple Music (and Tidal) are the only streaming services listed by Dolby as offering atmos encoded music. @SaratogaLefty finds that Apple music sounds better even using bluetooth than Tidal. I imagine that Amazon Music would sound similar but be better integrated with Alexa. Based on an assumed better integration with Alexa, I would rank Amazon Music #1 then Apple assuming similar music libraries. I don't have Amazon Music so can't say how extensive their collection is.

If they fix the issues with Tidal, that would move to #1 until Lucid implements Carplay/Auto. If you don't care about atmos encoded music, then any streaming service is fine.

You can set Alexa to use whatever streaming service you want by default, including Apple Music or Tidal.

You can set Alexa to use whatever streaming service you want by default, including Apple Music or Tidal.
So lately I have to say that Tidal is sounding pretty good on the Dolby Atmos recordings when it works properly. It does tend to hang up and their Dolby Atmos selections are very limited compared to Apple Music. I have not tried the Amazon Music Dolby recordings so I don't know how well they work. Hopefully we will get Apple CarPlay soon and then I'm confident it will be the best alternative for Dolby Atmos recordings.

So lately I have to say that Tidal is sounding pretty good on the Dolby Atmos recordings when it works properly. It does tend to hang up and their Dolby Atmos selections are very limited compared to Apple Music. I have not tried the Amazon Music Dolby recordings so I don't know how well they work. Hopefully we will get Apple CarPlay soon and then I'm confident it will be the best alternative for Dolby Atmos recordings.
Does Spotify have any Dolby Atmos music?

Back