RESOLVED Car stops charging before it reaches limit

Steve11ca

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, 67 Corvette
My car has been stopping charging prior to being fully charged, regardless of which limit I set. It seems once the car goes to sleep after plugging in, it stops charging shortly after that. When I open the app, the car wakes up and starts charging again, but doesn't finish. They are setting up an appointment with a technician. The wall charger is glowing white, so no errors there. Just thought I would see if anyone else has had a similar issue and what may have been determined.

Which charger are you using? Have you tried with a different one?

What kind of outlet are you charging from?
NEMA 14. I have had the car since March with no issues. I had an Etron before this using the same outlet. Issue is either with the charger or the car. Technician will make that determination.

My car has been stopping charging prior to being fully charged, regardless of which limit I set. It seems once the car goes to sleep after plugging in, it stops charging shortly after that. When I open the app, the car wakes up and starts charging again, but doesn't finish. They are setting up an appointment with a technician. The wall charger is glowing white, so no errors there. Just thought I would see if anyone else has had a similar issue and what may have been determined.
Weird. Mine charges to whatever I set it at, however with the phantom drain overnight due to BMS it may lose 1% or so so then it will start charging again when I wake it up to get back to the limit I set.

First photo shows car charging last night, after it woke up from the app. It had stopped charging prior to this. In the second photo from this morning, you can see that the car is asleep and not charging, but only added 12 miles from last night. In the third photo, it shows car is not fully charged and showing done. Thought these visuals might help with the current issue. (no pun intended 🤣) At no time in this sequence was the car unplugged from the charger or the charger from the wall.
IMG_1386.PNG
IMG_1387.PNG
IMG_1388.PNG

I'm having the same issue. What was the resolution? I was told it was an update issue.

I'm having the same issue. What was the resolution? I was told it was an update issue.
I had the same issue for 3 weeks. I called Customer Service and they said others have had the same issue, however they did not have a fix. I called the Scottsdale Service Center and talked to Lena, she wanted me to try charging at another station to see if I had the same result. I went down to the Fashion Square showroom and charged there, however I couldn't stay there for hours to wait for charge to finish.

I had changed out the breaker but it still kept happening. I changed out the 14-50 NEMA outlet and that solved the problem. I installed a Hubbell NEMA outlet.

I had changed out the breaker but it still kept happening. I changed out the 14-50 NEMA outlet and that solved the problem. I installed a Hubbell NEMA outlet.

Does not surprise me. You will be glad you changed it. Hope you got the $90 industrial version. House should not burn down with the proper receptacle, like some that have already.

For many here, I guess it's easier to blame Lucid for every charging issue. Everything.

Hubbell 9450A is the proper receptacle. That is the industrial one that can take continous duty 40 amp charging for 7 hours. Hubbell makes a $25 one that is not continuous rated. Don't use. The cheap $12 receptacles at HD, Leviton, will over heat. Every time, after repeated use. Those are Made for stoves. Loads of garage fires from big battery EVs using them.

The best EV wall chargers see the dangerous hi temp in the plug/receptacle and scales back current. Or turns off. Brilliant. It's not a car fault.. Tesla has a temp probe in their home NEMA plug. If it senses overheat, current scales way back by half or more. Same with it's supercharger cables. TESLA owners don't bitch at Tesla. It seems to be a Lucid owner thing, immediately blame Lucid for everything: EA, my faulty home wiring, spouses bad cooking, the porridge is too hot......

Last edited:
I had the same issue for 3 weeks. I called Customer Service and they said others have had the same issue, however they did not have a fix. I called the Scottsdale Service Center and talked to Lena, she wanted me to try charging at another station to see if I had the same result. I went down to the Fashion Square showroom and charged there, however I couldn't stay there for hours to wait for charge to finish.

I ordered the Hubbell NEMA and will replace the one I have to see if that resolves my problem. I'll keep you posted.

Good Luck @TAHoffer

BY THE WAY: The BRYANT 9450FR NEMA 14-50R is the exact same receptacle as the Hubbell 9450A. Hubbell owns Bryant. Many times cheaper - Identical

ORDER THE HUBBELL STAINLESS STEEL FACEPLATE faceplate when you order the Hubbell or Bryant. You cannot get them in HD. The hole is 2 and 15/32's (yes really). $10-15

The Hubbell and Bryant use a hex bit for screwing down the lugs. A torque screwdriver is nice, but not required. A socket wrench with hex bit will work. SCREW THE LUGS DOWN TIGHT until you feel the copper compress a bit. THEN, do something else for five minutes. Contemplate your future, kiss your wife, have a pee. And then retighten again. Copper compresses - usually you will get another 1/16 turn on the second tightening. Second tightening is best practice in industrial work. TIGHT IS GOOD.

I had the same issue at an EA is SoCal. Stopped charging after 5-10 minutes twice and then I couldn’t get it to work. After that I watched a BMW plug in and charge to 80% without issue.

I had the same issue at an EA is SoCal. Stopped charging after 5-10 minutes twice and then I couldn’t get it to work. After that I watched a BMW plug in and charge to 80% without issue.
This thread was mostly about home charging and the resolution was to install a high-quality outlet. As far as charging at a Electrify America goes, there are no set resolutions to the many issues. Try a different cord, try a different station, etc. Does your car exhibit the same behavior at every EA station? If not, it’s not the car and there is no known resolution without Electrify America upping its game.

This thread was mostly about home charging and the resolution was to install a high-quality outlet. As far as charging at an Electrify America goes, there are no set resolutions to the many issues. Try a different cord, try a different station, etc. Does your car exhibit the same behavior at every EA station? If not, it’s not the car and there is no known resolution without an Electrify America upping its game.
Oh thanks, I saw the thread title and assumed it was an EA thread.

I've had a single recent issue when my charging stopping: I got a notification on my phone to the effect, "Charging stopped - Charger does not support adjusting starting time." The charger (Wall Connector) is a Tesla Get-2 running at 80A (using an 80A Tesla-Tap mini). The charger had a red error light. Charging resumed after I reset the charger. This could have been due to the garage being very hot (at least 100º) and I was charging from a long trip and the car had to charge for a long time.

I've had a single recent issue when my charging stopping: I got a notification on my phone to the effect, "Charging stopped - Charger does not support adjusting starting time." The charger (Wall Connector) is a Tesla Get-2 running at 80A (using an 80A Tesla-Tap mini). The charger had a red error light. Charging resumed after I reset the charger. This could have been due to the garage being very hot (at least 100º) and I was charging from a long trip and the car had to charge for a long time.
I think your guess is correct. Electrical fires are mostly caused by heat, not sparks. Most electrical safety devices are triggered by heat. Your 20 amp panel breakers are triggered by heat. How many wires the NEC allows you to put in a conduit is based on heat. Every electrical device has a heat rating, from $1 receptacles to massive wire. The garage temp added to the heat caused by the big amperage could have set off the over current safety devices. That is a good thing. All the devices and ratings and requirements are aimed at preventing one thing: fires.

Back