Apple Car Play issues

babwine

Verified Owner
Cars
LUCID Air Grand Touring,
I have a number of issues with ACP
1. It does not always start automatically ...most often I must go to settings, connectivity, devices and push the ACP icon. According to instructions from LUCID, once activated, ACP should be available always automatically
2. The Lucid 231 device in my iPhone's Bluetooth devices list will not stay connected once ACP has been activated.
3. As soon as the car detects my mobile key it turns off Wi-Fi on my iPhone. If I try to turn it on I get a message that it will disconnect ACP.
4. If I am listening to music via LUCID apps, say like Spotify and then go to ACP to navigate somewhere, the navigation turn instructions do not mute the music. Only music being played via an app through ACP will mute.

Appreciate any help or comments on these issues.

I have a number of issues with ACP
1. It does not always start automatically ...most often I must go to settings, connectivity, devices and push the ACP icon. According to instructions from LUCID, once activated, ACP should be available always automatically
2. The Lucid 231 device in my iPhone's Bluetooth devices list will not stay connected once ACP has been activated.
3. As soon as the car detects my mobile key it turns off Wi-Fi on my iPhone. If I try to turn it on I get a message that it will disconnect ACP.
4. If I am listening to music via LUCID apps, say like Spotify and then go to ACP to navigate somewhere, the navigation turn instructions do not mute the music. Only music being played via an app through ACP will mute.

Appreciate any help or comments on these issues.
Not sure there is anything they can do about number 4. CarPlay has no way to communicate with the apps in the Lucid. Interesting edge case, though. It would be cool if they could figure that out. But I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I have the issue with it not always starting automatically. And sometimes I can't get it to start at all. I think this is a bug, and I hope they are working on it, because it's very annoying.

agree about sporadic starting or not at all. Hope they give us a fix for that. Also hope someone from LUCID responds to my other issues

agree about sporadic starting or not at all. Hope they give us a fix for that. Also hope someone from LUCID responds to my other issues
You should email these concerns directly to customer care. Lucid employees sometimes read the forum but sending it directly to customer care will make sure that it gets forwarded to the proper team.

alraedy did ...got no reply so I called. Agent was essentially clueless about all this

Number 3 is very odd. Wifi is actually needed to use ACP. There is a bluetooth handshake with the car then its handed off to wifi. It's odd that you would get a message saying that turning on wifi will disconnect ACP when ACP is by default disconnected when Wifi is on unless you are using a wired connection.

Have similar issues, most times, ACP does not start automatically. But even when it does (sometimes), the navigation will work - but the music app (e.g. Apple Music) will not work. No music will play. This happens 8 out of 10 times.

The solution I have figured out, is to reboot the phone, while driving. Once the phone restarts, then I have to go to Connectivity and start ACP again - and then everything works seamlessly.

If someone has figured out an easier solution, then please share.

Have similar issues, most times, ACP does not start automatically. But even when it does (sometimes), the navigation will work - but the music app (e.g. Apple Music) will not work. No music will play. This happens 8 out of 10 times.

The solution I have figured out, is to reboot the phone, while driving. Once the phone restarts, then I have to go to Connectivity and start ACP again - and then everything works seamlessly.

If someone has figured out an easier solution, then please share.
Make sure Wifi on the car is set to off.
1. Do you have the latest version on your phone? 16.4
2. Delete the phone from your car
3. Reset Car
4. Delete the car from your phone
5. Restart phone
6. if no success... Reset Network Settings on phone

Number 3 is very odd. Wifi is actually needed to use ACP. There is a bluetooth handshake with the car then its handed off to wifi. It's odd that you would get a message saying that turning on wifi will disconnect ACP when ACP is by default disconnected when Wifi is on unless you are using a wired connection.
This is normal; because the wifi radio on the phone is used to establish a connection with the car for wireless CarPlay, you cannot both be on a wifi network and use wireless CarPlay simultaneously. Turning on wifi will, in that case, turn off CarPlay.

If you use wired CarPlay (i.e. turn off wireless CarPlay from the settings) then you can use both wifi and CarPlay simultaneously.

Fwiw, this has nothing to do with Lucid; it’s how wireless CarPlay works.

This is normal; because the wifi radio on the phone is used to establish a connection with the car for wireless CarPlay, you cannot both be on a wifi network and use wireless CarPlay simultaneously. Turning on wifi will, in that case, turn off CarPlay.

If you use wired CarPlay (i.e. turn off wireless CarPlay from the settings) then you can use both wifi and CarPlay simultaneously.

Well if the Wifi is off on your iPhone then CarPlay wont connect is what I am saying. You have to have wifi enabled on the iPhone.

Well if the Wifi is off on your iPhone then CarPlay wont connect is what I am saying. You have to have wifi enabled on the iPhone.
Yes, CarPlay connects to the car via the IPhone’s Wi-Fi radio after an initial Bluetooth handshake.

I’ve now had three incidents where in CarPlay streaming audio will cut out a couple of times, then CarPlay shuts down. I’ve re activated it in “devices” then it ran for a few minutes, the audio then cut out again and CarPlay shut down again. After that the CarPlay simply won’t activate until the car has been parked for a substantial amount of time.

Also recently I’ve experienced that the CarPlay does not auto start. It’s intermittent and completely unpredictable.

Car Play turns off Wi-Fi on your phone. If you try to connect to reconnect your phone to Wi-Fi you will get a message that doing so will disconnect Car Play

Confusing. Are you saying if I my phone is wired to turn off Wi-Fi in Lucid Settings or iPhone settings or either? Regardless, what does having Wi-Fi on accomplish while you are driving?

Car Play turns off Wi-Fi on your phone. If you try to connect to reconnect your phone to Wi-Fi you will get a message that doing so will disconnect Car Play
CarPlay does not turn off WiFi. It uses WiFi to connect wirelessly to the car. The initial handshake is Bluetooth, but the data is relayed over WiFi.

The phone can only be connected to one WiFi network at a time. CarPlay creates its own network and connects the car to it. Thus, you can no longer connect to other networks while using CarPlay.

as soon as I get in my car, Wi-Fi on my phone is turned off so I don't understand when you say that Car Play doesn't turn off Wi-Fi.

CarPlay does not turn off WiFi. It uses WiFi to connect wirelessly to the car. The initial handshake is Bluetooth, but the data is relayed over WiFi.

The phone can only be connected to one WiFi network at a time. CarPlay creates its own network and connects the car to it. Thus, you can no longer connect to other networks while using CarPlay.
now I think I see ...on my phone in the drop-down menu when connected to Car Play the Wi-Fi icon is "off" but in my phone Settings, Wi-Fi is still turned on which suggests I can connect to other Wi-Fi's. I always thought that the icon in the drop-down menu either turned on or off Wi-Fi completely. Does this make sense?

now I think I see ...on my phone in the drop-down menu when connected to Car Play the Wi-Fi icon is "off" but in my phone Settings, Wi-Fi is still turned on which suggests I can connect to other Wi-Fi's. I always thought that the icon in the drop-down menu either turned on or off Wi-Fi completely. Does this make sense?
Yes. What Apple is indicating there is that your WiFi is unavailable to connect to other networks, because it has created an ad-hoc network of its own to use with the car. If you actually flipped that WiFi switch off, you’d break the connection to CarPlay.

I believe this is why putting the phone into Airplane mode for a few seconds helps when the wireless CarPlay is not showing up in the Lucid. I believe the network is established, as far as the phone is concerned, but the car is not able to grab the data and show the UI on screen for some reason. Turning WiFi off and then back on (airplane mode) forces the phone to redo the handshake and establish a new ad-hoc network. And the car then is able to connect the second time. At least in most cases.

thanks for clearing this up

Back