CarPlay / home Wi-Fi handoff problem workaround

tmwong

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Wireless CarPlay was wonky when I’d get into my car at home. The “CarPlay” icon wouldn’t always show on the Lucid Home Screen, while other times music wouldn’t play (I’d press the play button, and it would flicker between the play and pause icon).

My hunch is that the Lucid Wi-Fi can’t properly connect to my home Wi-Fi and simultaneously connect to wireless CarPlay. My workaround for now is to turn off Lucid Wi-Fi connectivity to the home; over two days, I haven’t seen a CarPlay connection glitch.

- T

I think you may be on to something with the WiFi. After a few days where it went back to working well, it failed on me once today. Previously, nothing I tried would get it going again when this happened to me. Today, I turned off WiFi in the car, then turned WiFi off on my phone. (I got a message that CarPlay would be disconnecting, which seemed odd given the Lucid was showing CarPlay as not active.) Then I rebooted my phone and turned WiFi back on, and it actually connected to the Lucid.

Previously reboots didn’t help me. But I think turning the WiFi off on the car and then rebooting might be a combination that worked this time.

In any event, it does seem like networking issues are the culprit here. I’ve also gotten into a situation a couple of times where CarPlay would activate, but it would not allow me to play any music or podcasts. Turning off Bluetooth on the phone and turning it back on seems to fix that one for me consistently, though.

Since I have pretty good cell phone coverage in my garage, I just leave Wi-Fi off all the time.

The flakiness of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth makes me wonder if there’s some sort of issue with whatever wireless modem chip Lucid uses. One wonders if the chip or daughter board needs a firmware update.

- T

The flakiness of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth makes me wonder if there’s some sort of issue with whatever wireless modem chip Lucid uses. One wonders if the chip or daughter board needs a firmware update.

- T
I haven’t found either one to be individually flaky. What is less than optimal is the handoff between the two of them. If I am on Wi-Fi, and using some sort of streaming service, when I get far enough away from my house that cellular should take over, there is a long pause. On the phone, this handoff is instant. My solution is not to use Wi-Fi at all.

I haven’t found either one to be individually flaky. What is less than optimal is the handoff between the two of them. If I am on Wi-Fi, and using some sort of streaming service, when I get far enough away from my house that cellular should take over, there is a long pause. On the phone, this handoff is instant. My solution is not to use Wi-Fi at all.
To be fair, even my iPhone has issues with this on occasion. When I get close enough to home, or when I’m leaving, it’ll attempt to hold on to my barely present WiFi network rather than just dropping it for the 5G. It’s not an easy problem to solve.

To be fair, even my iPhone has issues with this on occasion. When I get close enough to home, or when I’m leaving, it’ll attempt to hold on to my barely present WiFi network rather than just dropping it for the 5G. It’s not an easy problem to solve.
You are correct, but the phone does it better. Probably better programming because they have a very large software team and a huge user base. CarPlay solved this issue for me. Now I use streaming services through CarPlay instead of the Lucid UI.

Wireless CarPlay was wonky when I’d get into my car at home. The “CarPlay” icon wouldn’t always show on the Lucid Home Screen, while other times music wouldn’t play (I’d press the play button, and it would flicker between the play and pause icon).

My hunch is that the Lucid Wi-Fi can’t properly connect to my home Wi-Fi and simultaneously connect to wireless CarPlay. My workaround for now is to turn off Lucid Wi-Fi connectivity to the home; over two days, I haven’t seen a CarPlay connection glitch.

- T

My hunch is that the Lucid Wi-Fi can’t properly connect to my home Wi-Fi and simultaneously connect to wireless CarPlay.

It doesn't need to.

The Lucid Wifi that connects to your home network is NOT the same as the Wifi that connects the infotainment system to CarPlay; There are 2 separate modules.

The iPhone/Carplay connects directly to a Wifi module in the infotainment computer.

The Car uses a Wifi module in the telecommunications module under the rear seat to connect for data transfer to/from the car.

The iPhone can't connect to the car (using CarPlay) and home Wifi at the same time; It sounds like there may be poor cell connectivity at that location, which will make CarPlay act up. The car simply displays what CarPlay on the iPhone projects...

In the alternate, I wonder if the infotainment modem chip handles both Bluetooth for steaming and Wi-Fi for CarPlay. BT for phone->car streaming was flakey until a few updates went through.

- T

It doesn't need to.

The Lucid Wifi that connects to your home network is NOT the same as the Wifi that connects the infotainment system to CarPlay; There are 2 separate modules.

The iPhone/Carplay connects directly to a Wifi module in the infotainment computer.

The Car uses a Wifi module in the telecommunications module under the rear seat to connect for data transfer to/from the car.

The iPhone can't connect to the car (using CarPlay) and home Wifi at the same time; It sounds like there may be poor cell connectivity at that location, which will make CarPlay act up. The car simply displays what CarPlay on the iPhone projects...
Damn, someone knows their stuff.

I noticed on my iPhone in Settings / Bluetooth / My Devices it shows "Lucid Air 535" and "Lucid-04535". Is that normal?

I have similar issues. Once my phone connects to the car, my wifi is lost.
Now I am not able to use th 5g on my phone either.
I have to diconnect my phone - on the accesibility screen to make either work.
Has Lucid found a resolution yet?

I have similar issues. Once my phone connects to the car, my wifi is lost.
Now I am not able to use th 5g on my phone either.
I have to diconnect my phone - on the accesibility screen to make either work.
Has Lucid found a resolution yet?
I’m not sure that there is anything wrong here. If you are connected to CarPlay, the phone is using its Wi-Fi for that purpose. Your phone cellular signal (5g, etc.) is being used to communicate with the world.

Umm, the phone is like a rock when in the car. neither the wifi nor the 5g works, they both work fine when not in or near the car. i presume there is an issue with the connectivity.

Umm, the phone is like a rock when in the car. neither the wifi nor the 5g works, they both work fine when not in or near the car. i presume there is an issue with the connectivity.
Remove phone from devices. Update it if needed. Hard reset phone. Reconnect.

The wifi being off is normal if you’re connected to CarPlay, I think that’s what @Bobby was saying. That’s not a bug.

As for cellular, make sure the ”data over cellular” option is checked in settings?

Thank you. Yea the data over cellular is on.
2 iPhones have the same issues.
Also - if the 5g signal
Is weak and lucid kicks me out of wifi, then also I’m not able to use my phone. 😞

Thank you. Yea the data over cellular is on.
2 iPhones agave the same issues.
Also - if the 5g wignal
Is poor and lucid kicks me out of wifi, then also I’m not able to use my phone. 😞
I really want to help you because it sounds like a frustrating problem. What do you mean by Lucid kicked me off the Wi-Fi? Are you connecting to your home Wi-Fi from the car? Does turning that off and removing that connection help with anything?

When I’m at home my phone is connected to wifi.
When I get closer to the car or in the car , I loose the connection. When I go to settings and try to connect back to wifi, it wants to disconnect me from lucid.

Back