I don’t like Apple Car Play

lucidukan

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Maybe it’s just me. But Apple Car play seems to be in total contrast to the elegant original design of the Lucid UX. It’s boxy, looks like a iPhone on screen and basically is a hassle to try navigating two different UIs for similar features. Reminds me of days trying to run Windows on an emulator.

And then there is the lack of Dolby Atmos support, which basically negates the premium paid for SS Pro. At this point I am inclined to continue the Tidal subscription instead of using Apple Music. From what I understand Car Play may never match that quality because of technical limitations in Bluetooth bandwidth. Hope I am wrong on this since it’s not fun to have two subscriptions to streaming music.

But kudos to the Lucid team for attempting.

Maybe it’s just me. But Apple Car play seems to be in total contrast to the elegant original design of the Lucid UX. It’s boxy, looks like a iPhone on screen and basically is a hassle to try navigating two different UIs for similar features. Reminds me of days trying to run Windows on an emulator.

And then there is the lack of Dolby Atmos support, which basically negates the premium paid for SS Pro. At this point I am inclined to continue the Tidal subscription instead of using Apple Music. From what I understand Car Play may never match that quality because of technical limitations in Bluetooth bandwidth. Hope I am wrong on this since it’s not fun to have two subscriptions to streaming music.

CarPlay runs either through wifi or wired so it's capable of Atmos bandwidth.

And even wirelessly, the sound quality is miles ahead of standard Bluetooth. It creates an ad hoc WiFi network to send sound over at a much higher quality.

You are correct about Atmos, unfortunately. I am hopeful Apple will reinstate that feature.

CarPlay runs either through wifi or wired so it's capable of Atmos bandwidth.
Bandwidth, yes - but CarPlay does not presently support or pass through Atmos audio. Very high quality stereo audio, yes - lossless even, if plugged in via USB.

But not Atmos.

I totally agree with you on all counts. CarPlay has its place and I know some people are happy to have it on Lucid for Waze, podcast app, Apple Music etc. It's great in cars that dont have an advanced UI/UX like Lucid or in a car that you have to pay hundreds of dollars to a dealer to get updated maps. Like you I found bouncing around between the Lucid and CarPlay UI annoying. Also no Dolby Atmos is a total fail on Apple's part. I also am keeping Tidal for Atmos. I don't think the Lucid team has failed in anyway in the implementation as the restrictions are on the Apple side and will supposedly be a thing of the past with the next gen CarPlay.

Glad to have it but could live without it.
Wondering what others think about the following.
Lossless through Apple Music sounds great and is a tad louder than through Tidal ( don’t understand why) . Happy to have a few more music choices. Hopefully Carplay will eventually support Atmos.
Carplay is great for calls and texts , and perhaps for maps , but the native maps App in the car is graphically much nicer. I know some people have struggled with poor directions on HERE maps. I haven’t personally , but I live in a pretty easy area to navigate and don’t use maps much.
Anyway , kudos to Lucid for getting Carplay out.

Personally I love it and appreciate that lucid delivered it. I find that it blends very well with the native UX and when listening to native Tidal, I don’t even know that CarPlay is running in the background until a text or call comes in. Calling, texting, Waze and Sirius is pretty much all that I need when driving and this fixes a lot for me. Hopefully Apple gets Atmos with Tidal so I can cancel. Y subscription.

After the update, I’m having issues with the native Tidal losing sound and getting very glitchy. I assume this will get fixed with subsequent updates.

Glad to have it but could live without it.
Wondering what others think about the following.
Lossless through Apple Music sounds great and is a tad louder than through Tidal ( don’t understand why) . Happy to have a few more music choices. Hopefully Carplay will eventually support Atmos.
Carplay is great for calls and texts , and perhaps for maps , but the native maps App in the car is graphically much nicer. I know some people have struggled with poor directions on HERE maps. I haven’t personally , but I live in a pretty easy area to navigate and don’t use maps much.
Anyway , kudos to Lucid for getting Carplay out.
Agree on all counts. I’m happy to have CarPlay as it makes texting/calling and looking out for cops with Waze MUCH easier. Also Apple Music has podcasts, Tidal doesn’t. But I find myself going back to the car’s Tidal and navigation more than using CarPlay because of Atmos, better quality UI/graphics, and the car navigation satellite view just looks much better and is easier to view/read and includes SOC%. I did try ABRP in CarPlay for navigation since it includes SOC%, but I found it expected worse range the car did and the car’s predicted SOC% was more optimistic and more accurate.

Also I have to go on a little rant about Tidal native vs Tidal CarPlay vs Tidal phone app. WHY WHY WHY can’t they just make it like the phone app? In the Lucid you can’t “like” tracks, in CarPlay you can, but then neither of them allow you to add stuff to specific playlists. The Lucid Tidal app will show Daily Discovery, CarPlay doesn’t show anything selected for you except the daily Mixes, but then neither car app nor CarPlay show New Arrivals from artists in your playlists, which the phone does and is one of the best features. The Lucid at least allows you to type in a search, CarPlay doesn’t do that nearly as well as the Lucid. It’s dumb because neither of them have the best features of the phone app 👎.

I totally agree. I preferred the Lucid UI over this. Then again I truly have not played with it much.

I personally love CarPlay. I mostly listen to Audible, NPR and Podcasts and now have easily accessible apps for all of them. Woo hoo!

For those of you who prefer high fidelity music, you can ignore CarPlay and use Tidal. It’s great that Lucid is working on an array of features to address our diverse tastes.

I'm loving it. The native Lucid maps are absolute garbage and have routed me through some of the weirdest routes. The built-in Alexa barely ever understood my voice commands so I just gave up on it. I've been an iPhone user since they were released in 2007 and so most of my digital life is wrapped up in the Apple eco system, espeically my music library. Not that it mattered, since the Tidal and Spotify impletmentation were so buggy in the Lucid (and almost none of the music I listen to while driving was available with Tidal Atmos anyway) that I gave up using them and just streamed from Bluetooth. I've also never really heard an appreciable difference between a Tidal Atmos track and a track streamed from bluetooth, but I have tinnitus so that may be a compounding factor.

I'm loving being able to swtich from my music library in Apple Music, to Spotify, to my podcast player, and (now that baseball season is upon us) to the MLB app that streams game audio. Being able to use Waze/Google maps is a huge upgrade. Calling/texting with Siri is seamless, easy, and it works on the first try every time. This is the final cherry I've been waiting for in this car, and I'm just absolutely loving it. Being able to change the UI look to something more "Lucid-like" and it's even better.

I'm loving it. The native Lucid maps are absolute garbage and have routed me through some of the weirdest routes. The built-in Alexa barely ever understood my voice commands so I just gave up on it. I've been an iPhone user since they were released in 2007 and so most of my digital life is wrapped up in the Apple eco system, espeically my music library. Not that it mattered, since the Tidal and Spotify impletmentation were so buggy in the Lucid (and almost none of the music I listen to while driving was available with Tidal Atmos anyway) that I gave up using them and just streamed from Bluetooth. I've also never really heard an appreciable difference between a Tidal Atmos track and a track streamed from bluetooth, but I have tinnitus so that may be a compounding factor.

I'm loving being able to swtich from my music library in Apple Music, to Spotify, to my podcast player, and (now that baseball season is upon us) to the MLB app that streams game audio. Being able to use Waze/Google maps is a huge upgrade. Calling/texting with Siri is seamless, easy, and it works on the first try every time. This is the final cherry I've been waiting for in this car, and I'm just absolutely loving it. Being able to change the UI look to something more "Lucid-like" and it's even better.
How do you use Google maps with CarPlay?

How do you use Google maps with CarPlay?
You can install Google Maps on your iPhone from the App Store, and then it just shows up as an option on the CarPlay UI. The icon should look something like this:

IMG_8335.jpeg

Kudos to Lucid for incorporating CarPlay. Whether you use it or not, as they say, "your mileage may vary." There's a most interesting article on the Ars Technica website by Roberto Baldwin today (4/3) about GM dropping CarPlay. I am excerpting one paragraph. "Software-driven vehicles should be about choice. Instead, GM is making a short-sighted decision based on a trickle of revenue under the guise of better integration. Owning all the data that a vehicle generates while driving around could be a great source of cash. The problem is potential customers have become accustomed to choosing which device they use to navigate, chat, text, and rock out within their vehicle. They’ve grown weary of being mined for data at the expense of their choice and they’re really not all that keen on in-car subscription services."

I suggest you read the entire article: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/03/gm-kills-more-than-carplay-support-it-kills-choice/

Personally, I'm waiting for Lucid to offer Android Auto, which according to Lucid tech support is coming. Frankly, I desire Android Auto for only two reasons: Google's mapping and directions, and the Google Assistant voice control. I'm not a fan of Alexa. Amazon already knows enough about my life. Google makes it easy to expunge all history.

Google makes it easy to expunge all history.
Hahahahahaha. Take it from a guy who has spent his entire life in offensive cybersecurity - Google does not make it easy to expunge/wipe all your data. Neither does Amazon, but let's not pretend Google is any better on that front.

Apple actually does try, but it's definitely not perfect either.

I'm loving it. The native Lucid maps are absolute garbage and have routed me through some of the weirdest routes.

What you said about the Lucid maps is true. Weirdest routes. But I’ve also gotten strange routing in whatever Tesla uses, google maps, Apple maps, Here maps, and sometimes even on Waze.

As for CarPlay, meh…I haven’t even bothered to activate mine yet. I’m not prepared to have my Lucid dashboard look like one of my rental cars.

Back