I don’t like Apple Car Play

I'm loving it. The native Lucid maps are absolute garbage and have routed me through some of the weirdest routes. The built-in Alexa barely ever understood my voice commands so I just gave up on it. I've been an iPhone user since they were released in 2007 and so most of my digital life is wrapped up in the Apple eco system, espeically my music library. Not that it mattered, since the Tidal and Spotify impletmentation were so buggy in the Lucid (and almost none of the music I listen to while driving was available with Tidal Atmos anyway) that I gave up using them and just streamed from Bluetooth. I've also never really heard an appreciable difference between a Tidal Atmos track and a track streamed from bluetooth, but I have tinnitus so that may be a compounding factor.

I'm loving being able to swtich from my music library in Apple Music, to Spotify, to my podcast player, and (now that baseball season is upon us) to the MLB app that streams game audio. Being able to use Waze/Google maps is a huge upgrade. Calling/texting with Siri is seamless, easy, and it works on the first try every time. This is the final cherry I've been waiting for in this car, and I'm just absolutely loving it. Being able to change the UI look to something more "Lucid-like" and it's even better.
I also prefer Waze, but Lucid’s native maps being called “absolute garbage” is hyperbole. Can they be better? Yes. Are they garbage? Not even close.

What you said about the Lucid maps is true. Weirdest routes. But I’ve also gotten strange routing in whatever Tesla uses, google maps, Apple maps, Here maps, and sometimes even on Waze.

As for CarPlay, meh…I haven’t even bothered to activate mine yet. I’m not prepared to have my Lucid dashboard look like one of my rental cars.
This is precisely what I have been saying all along… Choices are a good thing. For example, I do not like that Lucid simply removed the efficiency display from the left dashboard. Allow the driver to have a choice. I don’t love that we have an enormous Air logo on the right dashboard… Allow the driver to have a choice of what to display there. Tire pressures, audio information, anything! I use CarPlay all the time because I really don’t care how it looks… I care more about the functionality. But I respect your opposite opinion and therefore I am glad that we have the option.

Native lucid nav’s integration with the car in terms of utilizing all screen real estate including upper and lower panels as well as right side of center panel as well as integrated route planning with range estimates, charging time estimates, EA or non-EA stations, automatic rerouting when battery is low etc makes it a much better option for longer road trips imo. I do agree that the nav does sometimes suggest bizarre short distance routes and so CarPlay is nice to give the option of Apple Maps, Google maps, Waze, etc.

Music sounds better on native lucid apps including Amazon music.

Good and bad, but options are always nice.

That being said, if one of the CarPlay nav apps can integrate like the lucid Nav does and also factor in weather, temperature, wind speed, elevation etc that would be amazing. I feel like apple and Google maps are closer to achieving that than native lucid nav? Who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

Native lucid nav’s integration with the car in terms of utilizing all screen real estate including upper and lower panels as well as right side of center panel as well as integrated route planning with range estimates, charging time estimates, EA or non-EA stations, automatic rerouting when battery is low etc makes it a much better option for longer road trips imo. I do agree that the nav does sometimes suggest bizarre short distance routes and so CarPlay is nice to give the option of Apple Maps, Google maps, Waze, etc.

Music sounds better on native lucid apps including Amazon music.

Good and bad, but options are always nice.
Since there is no native Apple Music app, my music sounds infinitely better with CarPlay. But otherwise agree.

That being said, if one of the CarPlay nav apps can integrate like the lucid Nav does and also factor in weather, temperature, wind speed, elevation etc that would be amazing. I feel like apple and Google maps are closer to achieving that than native lucid nav? Who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

The one app that I know of that does all that you’re describing is ABRP (abetterrouteplanner.com). All the real time data comes with a paid subscription. I think it’s 4.99 a month. I sign up every time I’m planning on taking a road trip, and then just make sure to drop it for the following month.

I haven’t seen yet whether ABRP comes up on CarPlay.

Good seeing you! I haven’t seen you post in a while.

ABRP does have a CarPlay app.

I’m confused about these “I don’t like CarPlay” posts, as if it’s a binary decision to use it or not use it. For instance, I like the call and texting features of CarPlay, but I prefer to use the Native Tidal and maps. So, I am able to use the native UX, but when a call or text comes in, I’m using CarPlay since it’s quietly running in the background. It’s like an a la cart menu and I think Lucid did an excellent job integrating it. It’s only going to get better from here.

The one app that I know of that does all that you’re describing is ABRP (abetterrouteplanner.com). All the real time data comes with a paid subscription. I think it’s 4.99 a month. I sign up every time I’m planning on taking a road trip, and then just make sure to drop it for the following month.

I haven’t seen yet whether ABRP comes up on CarPlay.

Good seeing you! I haven’t seen you post in a while.
Thanks! Personal post volume has decreased but creeping remains strong 😁😁

As @joec mentioned, ABRP is CarPlay compatible but to even use it at all on CarPlay you have to pay the subscription. I’m too cheap to do that since some combo of free nav apps does the trick for me 99% of the time 🤷🏼‍♂️

I like the EA app in Car Play. It will show you the nearest chargers to your location, available chargers and navigation to the charger. Apple Maps provides traffic alerts and alternate routes. I can't tell if the Lucid nav is providing an updated route because of traffic or it's providing a weird routing.

Bandwidth, yes - but CarPlay does not presently support or pass through Atmos audio. Very high quality stereo audio, yes - lossless even, if plugged in via USB.

But not Atmos.
True, I verified using the Solaris Atmos 7.2 test track, certainly sounds lot dfiferent on Tidal than on wired CarPlay

Back