CarPlay / home Wi-Fi handoff problem workaround

Your phone is disconnecting from your home Wi-Fi because it is trying to connect to CarPlay. The phone only has one Wi-Fi radio in it and that one is needed for CarPlay. If you try to reconnect to your home Wi-Fi, CarPlay will no longer be available to you. This is true in any car equipped with wireless CarPlay, not just the Lucid.

When I’m at home my phone is connected to wifi.
When I get closer to the car or in the car , I loose the connection. When I go to settings and try to connect back to wifi, it wants to disconnect me from lucid.
I am experiencing exactly the same problem. The fact that the cell signal at our home is weak or in SOS mode, we are more frustrated than others.

Your phone is disconnecting from your home Wi-Fi because it is trying to connect to CarPlay. The phone only has one Wi-Fi radio in it and that one is needed for CarPlay. If you try to reconnect to your home Wi-Fi, CarPlay will no longer be available to you. This is true in any car equipped with wireless CarPlay, not just the Lucid.
Understand. Thank you. Hope there is a way around that.

Understand. Thank you. Hope there is a way around that.
There won’t / can’t be. Your iPhone is equipped with a single wifi chipset, which cannot do both broadcast and receive simultaneously. You’d need a second wifi chipset, which would drain your battery immensely. The same is true of any android phone. For laptops, you can buy an external wifi adapter to do this, but I’m not sure about phones. In any case, this is how it’s designed.

There is another option: if you go into your iPhone settings and turn off CarPlay for lucid, it will work only when you plug it in via a cable, which should enable wifi back on, but then CarPlay won’t work wirelessly and will only work via the cable.

There won’t / can’t be. Your iPhone is equipped with a single wifi chipset, which cannot do both broadcast and receive simultaneously. You’d need a second wifi chipset, which would drain your battery immensely. The same is true of any android phone. For laptops, you can buy an external wifi adapter to do this, but I’m not sure about phones. In any case, this is how it’s designed.

There is another option: if you go into your iPhone settings and turn off CarPlay for lucid, it will work only when you plug it in via a cable, which should enable wifi back on, but then CarPlay won’t work wirelessly and will only work via the cable.
Good to know. Just turned off CarPlay on my phone !

Back