2025 Taycan range and charging

Very impressive, including its high sustained charging rate. I also liked the car's indication of its current maximum charging rate and battery temp.
The review mentioned greatly improved range accuracy - I wonder if the 2025 Taycan is now using Google Maps instead of HERE?

Thanks for posting. That is very impressive and nice to see the competition improving. Can only make others better too.

I read it in the morning, and the thing that most impressed me was the charging curve! Porsche also uses aggressive buffers, so 340 miles from around 85 kWh is pretty good!

Am I the only one shocked the front tires are only 225s though?

Am I the only one shocked the front tires are only 225s though?
This is a typical Porsche thing. A GT4/GT3 has 245s on the front and some GTS models have 235s in the front. Skinny front tires gives better steering precision and feedback

This is a typical Porsche thing. A GT4/GT3 has 245s on the front and some GTS models have 235s in the front. Skinny front tires gives better steering precision and feedback
I just thought that was more of a byproduct of the fact that it is rear engine (i noticed that my all my 911 collections have a HUGE stagger in video games), which requires more tire on the rear and not much on the front. With an EV though, it is very confusing!

And that may be true, although there is less actual grip. Then again, I'm not sure a base taycan will be used by anybody except the numerous porsche soccer moms that inhabit my neighborhood, so who cares?

I just thought that was more of a byproduct of the fact that it is rear engine (i noticed that my all my 911 collections have a HUGE stagger in video games), which requires more tire on the rear and not much on the front. With an EV though, it is very confusing!

And that may be true, although there is less actual grip. Then again, I'm not sure a base taycan will be used by anybody except the numerous porsche soccer moms that inhabit my neighborhood, so who cares?

Yea, it is done usually because of the weight distribution of the 718/911, but they are still following somewhat of the same philosophy here. The stagger is 225/275. Still pretty huge stagger! But remember these are the base wheels for the base Taycan. No ones going to be driving aggressively on these. Again it’s also done for steering precision so that’s probably why they have continued that here. If you ever get a chance to drive a camaro 1LE or GT350 with 305 section FRONT tires. The tramlining and lack of feel from the front end becomes really apparent (although they do help in making the cars put up blistering lap times)

Even if I were buying a Taycan though, last thing I would do is buy those 21”x 11” wide 305 section rear mission E wheels. All of the people who complain about only getting 200 miles of range on their Taycans tend to have those. No ones replacing their canyon carver with a Taycan, so even I would choose the more efficient tire option.

Yea, it is done usually because of the weight distribution of the 718/911, but they are still following somewhat of the same philosophy here. The stagger is 225/275. Still pretty huge stagger! But remember these are the base wheels for the base Taycan. No ones going to be driving aggressively on these. Again it’s also done for steering precision so that’s probably why they have continued that here. If you ever get a chance to drive a camaro 1LE or GT350 with 305 section FRONT tires. The tramlining and lack of feel from the front end becomes really apparent (although they do help in making the cars put up blistering lap times)

Even if I were buying a Taycan though, last thing I would do is buy those 21”x 11” wide 305 section rear mission E wheels. All of the people who complain about only getting 200 miles of range on their Taycans tend to have those. No ones replacing their canyon carver with a Taycan, so even I would choose the more efficient tire option.
Yeah, but those mission E tires are hot. And besides, with the GT3 RS seemingly turning into a track car instead of the daily it was(removal of the frunk... seriously?). Therefore, I would have ignored tram lining and slightly discounted feel to make it faster at the track! For a taycan though, I do understand. I do wonder why the rears arent smaller though.. that stagger is RIDICULOUS and making it smaller would improve efficiency!

The review mentioned greatly improved range accuracy - I wonder if the 2025 Taycan is now using Google Maps instead of HERE?
Would range accuracy have anything to do with the mapping software? Sounds like that's just internal to Porsche estimating capacity and average efficiency for your route?

340 miles is at 59mph better than the old Taycan, still not as good as the Lucid

340 miles is at 59mph better than the old Taycan, still not as good as the Lucid
Compared to equivalent 90kwh Pure/Touring, looks like Taycan’s freeway efficiency is better. 3 journalists have confirmed 325-365 miles of range in the new Taycan. 3-4 journalists have tested Pure/Touring to be around 275-300. But it’s not a competition! They are two very different cars for different people.

Of course you should be able to get more range in a 112kwh GT though. It’s got a big battery!

Reactions: DBV
Most outlets are saying this isnt a 90kWh battery. They are saying it is probably around 100-105 which makes sense for the extra range. They also made some more aerodynamic improvements. It is really impressive.

I think one outlet notes 360 miles on the BASE Taycan RWD. They did have all specs out there for testing and gave them to various outlets.

Compared to equivalent 90kwh Pure/Touring, looks like Taycan’s freeway efficiency is better. 3 journalists have confirmed 325-365 miles of range in the new Taycan. 3-4 journalists have tested Pure/Touring to be around 275-300. But it’s not a competition! They are two very different cars for different people.

Of course you should be able to get more range in a 112kwh GT though. It’s got a big battery!
Wow, with very little effort I can get far more than that on my Pure. Last Thanksgiving my 200 mile round trip resulted in me using just about half of my battery capacity. Although the weather was good, it still wasn’t ‘ideal’ for maximum range.

The only question I want answered is this: does the Taycan still have the 2 gear transmission that I liked, or is it more "conventional" now?

Would range accuracy have anything to do with the mapping software? Sounds like that's just internal to Porsche estimating capacity and average efficiency for your route?
I got the impression they were talking about the navigation's SOC estimation. We also see very little error with Google Maps' SOC estimation on our Volvo EV.

"After the first 40 miles, the car had recalibrated to our driving style and speed, and for the final 200 miles of the drive, the estimate for the remaining charge at destination was within 1 percent of our actual result at the ending point. "

Back