2025 Taycan range and charging

2025 Porsche Taycan Revisions Boost Both Range and Performance (caranddriver.com)

the revised Taycan still won’t offer a one-pedal drive mode as Porsche thinks this would compromise the purity of the driving experience. well there's that lol

"UI revisions include the adoption of the next-generation Apple CarPlay+, which will allow climate functions to be controlled from within the system." <- this sounds like an assumption that i don't think has been validated. But would be interesting if true!
Impressive. Porsche is really improving their EV’s. Great to see. Awesome getting the new CarPlay interface too!

I timestamped the video but this feature is so great for an option.

Check it out. This would be wonderful on so many EVs that run low to the ground for aerodynamics.

The Taycan is improving. It still has significantly less range and space than the Lucid though, less efficiency, less HP/kg motors, and those Windows 2000 Infotainment icons really gotta go. It has an amazing charging curve, which beats Lucid, but these days though I’ve found charger reliability is more important than speed, I’ve had to move the Lucid twice to avoid idle fees because the car was done before I was at my stop. I suspect Taycan’s climate control might be superior? But Lucid camera system is still ahead of the pack, and surreal sound pro with Atmos is still the best thing I’ve heard in any car. Is the Taycan getting Atmos? If so I’m sure it would sound killer with the Burmeister system, but still I wouldn’t for one minute consider a 2025 Taycan over a 2022 Lucid Air GT.

Ill probably get a Taycan post Lucid lease unless Lucid's software goes above and beyond with future updates. I do think they are totally different cars though. One is a sports saloon and the other is a luxury sedan. One is for driving dynamics and the other is for comfort/luxury with speed incorporated into it. I agree the infotainment is kinda ugly but they did note it is 3x faster now which is great and the car does support CarPlay and now CarPlay+ which will be interesting to see how that evolves. They are the first to market with that.

I'm a sucker for charge speeds. I like to shoo out of places or just get a quick charge on my way home or something from a commute.

I wish it supported Atmos, but doesnt sound like it. But I also wish Lucid didnt force me into TIDAL.

Both cars I think are fantastic. Both pushing the bounds in many ways over what Tesla has been doing. Tesla may still be king of software but at least in terms of other pieces, both Porsche/LUCID are pushing things forward.

Ill probably get a Taycan post Lucid lease unless Lucid's software goes above and beyond with future updates. I do think they are totally different cars though. One is a sports saloon and the other is a luxury sedan. One is for driving dynamics and the other is for comfort/luxury with speed incorporated into it. I agree the infotainment is kinda ugly but they did note it is 3x faster now which is great and the car does support CarPlay and now CarPlay+ which will be interesting to see how that evolves. They are the first to market with that.

I'm a sucker for charge speeds. I like to shoo out of places or just get a quick charge on my way home or something from a commute.

I wish it supported Atmos, but doesnt sound like it. But I also wish Lucid didnt force me into TIDAL.

Both cars I think are fantastic. Both pushing the bounds in many ways over what Tesla has been doing. Tesla may still be king of software but at least in terms of other pieces, both Porsche/LUCID are pushing things forward.
At the very least, the industry is moving so quickly, there will be a lot of options after the 18/36 month leases

Charge speed is really driven by software designed to manage long term battery health. Of course besides electrical architecture.

I think Lucid has been overly cautious ramping down the charging power curve in the 40-70% SOC zone. Below that Lucid rocks. Above that caution is deserved.

Ultimately this is about saving 10-15 minutes per fast charge session. Can Lucid do better? Yes. Does it matter to me? No. I prefer conservative battery health management.

I built a 2023 base Taycan which starts at 90k with features almost similar to what I had on my Touring- came to 120k with the larger battery. So it comes to about 20k more than a comparable Lucid Touring but still have less range, less space, single motor, less performance, older screens, no frunk. Apple carplay plus doesn't really add much...I mean, I would rather control my car climate and music through the Lucid interface. If Apple carplay plus had something magical that Lucid didn't offer, I would have be impressed.

I feel Lucid still trumps the Taycan, unless you want a sports car EV and add all the fancy suspension options, which are impressive in the Taycan. But that brings the price up much more. If you don't need fancy suspension and don't want to spend 140-150k, Lucid Touring much better option.

It’s essentially do you want luxury sedan vs luxury sports car in the end.

Charge time is important to me as I use DCFC often. The time savings over a lifetime of car ownership does add up. I know people think about it in terms of a single trip only but if that were the case, I’d open up my options to things slower at charging because I wouldn’t care as much.

The other nice thing is the Taycan has the 150kW/400v charging setup standard which will be very nice for V3 Tesla Superchargers as anything over 800v for cars like the Taycan and Lucid will be kneecapped on those superchargers for speeds when NACS hits and as of now V4 stations are non existent in the US so it’s gonna be a little while before those will fully support the Lucid and other 800v+ car speeds. Even the Cybertruck haha

hink Lucid has been overly cautious ramping down the charging power curve in the 40-70% SOC zone. Below that Lucid rocks. Above that caution is deserved.

Ultimately this is about saving 10-15 minutes per fast charge session. Can Lucid do better? Yes. Does it matter to me? No. I prefer conservative battery health management.
We’ve seen recent data on battery degradation from the ultra fast ioniq5 and now lucid and the degradation over 1-2 years 10-20k miles is very similar. I don’t think the savings from charging is as significant as charging hygiene…I.e. not charging to 100% all the time or draining to super low percentages before charging for example

I agree.

My point is the charging curve is just software. It could be a user adjustable parameter. Not a reason to buy another vehicle that is inferior in every other aspect. I hope Lucid adjusts the power charging curve.

For me 10-15 minutes per charge does not matter. It will not lengthen or shorten my life. I will simply eat lunch a bit slower while the car is charging.

It’s essentially do you want luxury sedan vs luxury sports car in the end.

Charge time is important to me as I use DCFC often. The time savings over a lifetime of car ownership does add up. I know people think about it in terms of a single trip only but if that were the case, I’d open up my options to things slower at charging because I wouldn’t care as much.

The other nice thing is the Taycan has the 150kW/400v charging setup standard which will be very nice for V3 Tesla Superchargers as anything over 800v for cars like the Taycan and Lucid will be kneecapped on those superchargers for speeds when NACS hits and as of now V4 stations are non existent in the US so it’s gonna be a little while before those will fully support the Lucid and other 800v+ car speeds. Even the Cybertruck haha
Exactly, the suspension tech in Porsches is out of this world! But expensive and might be worth it for those who want a true sportscar EV.

And with the new software update announced tonight, let’s see what kind of improvements Lucid will have made with charging speed. Hopefully it’s not too fast so the naysayers will still have something to complain about. 🤣

The Taycan is improving. It still has significantly less range and space than the Lucid though, less efficiency, less HP/kg motors, and those Windows 2000 Infotainment icons really gotta go. It has an amazing charging curve, which beats Lucid, but these days though I’ve found charger reliability is more important than speed, I’ve had to move the Lucid twice to avoid idle fees because the car was done before I was at my stop. I suspect Taycan’s climate control might be superior? But Lucid camera system is still ahead of the pack, and surreal sound pro with Atmos is still the best thing I’ve heard in any car. Is the Taycan getting Atmos? If so I’m sure it would sound killer with the Burmeister system, but still I wouldn’t for one minute consider a 2025 Taycan over a 2022 Lucid Air GT.
Hmm - I am not sure it will have significantly less real range compared to Lucid, especially the Touring and Pure models. Everything I am reading, speculation is range will be very good. Definitely a tempting car. Charging is great too. Porsche made great strides with the Macan and now Taycan. Of course - we shall really see when real tests/drives and owners report. Also - has a new heat pump, which will help in the Winter months compared to Lucid. Plus, at least by me there are dealerships in case something goes wrong, as there are no Lucid service centers that close to me yet.

Love the competition pushing each other and also love will have the new CarPlay system. EV’s just keep advancing, which is an awesome thing! 🙂

Pricing:

• 2025 Taycan: $99,400
  • 2025 Taycan 4S: $118,500
  • 2025 Taycan Turbo: $173,600
  • 2025 Taycan Turbo S: $209,000
  • 2025 Taycan 4 Cross Turismo: $111,100
  • 2025 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo: $125,200
  • 2025 Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo: $176,300
  • 2025 Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo: $211,700

Pricing:

Lineup sounds like different playcalling variations for a football play not a car lol

Pricing:

I’d really like to drive the $99k and the $200+k versions to feel the differences!

Pricing:

And I was excited for a second...

Whatever the changes, I think it's great Porsche is making substantive improvements to the Taycan already. As opposed to some other EV manufacturers, who seem to make a model then not touch it for a decade or more.

I want Porsche to stay in the EV game and play it to win. If they get to an EV Boxter before Lucid makes a roadster, I'll be all over it.

I hope Lucid takes note and brings some of the Gravity improvements over to the Air line sooner rather than later.

Back