Would You Buy Again

Mouthpiece

Verified Owner
For those of you who have your cars, would you buy another Lucid?

Just curious as I await my silver GT.

We have a long-standing reservation for a Rivian R1S to replace our Honda Odyssey. After driving the Air for over six months, we're now thinking about waiting for the Lucid Gravity instead. (Given Rivian's unending production delays, the Gravity might be available before the R1S, anyway.)

I've written copiously about software frustrations with the Air and the slow progress in getting the software in hand. But I still view a car as more a driving machine than a rolling smart tablet and, after getting used to the power, handling prowess, and comfort of the Air, I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with anything else on the market right now.

We have a Tesla Model S Plaid, too, which provides us the perfect study in contrasts on this point of "car vs. tablet". The Tesla has much better functioning software than the Air right now, but it is far the lesser car in terms of everything else except raw acceleration. And we ciimb into the Air considerably more often than the Tesla when leaving home, usually with no discussion.

The Honda will be our last ICE vehicle and, software issues notwithstanding, the Air has no current peer in the EV world for people who put the driving/riding experience first and foremost.

Last edited:
We have a long-standing reservation for a Rivian R1S to replace our Honda Odyssey. After driving the Air for over six months, we're now thinking about waiting for the Lucid Gravity instead. (Given Rivian's unending production delays, the Gravity might be available before the R1S, anyway.)

I've written copiously about software frustrations with the Air and the slow progress in getting the software in hand. But I still view a car as more a driving machine than a rolling smart tablet and, after getting used to the power, handling prowess, and comfort of the Air, I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with anything else on the market right now.

We have a Tesla Model S Plaid, too, which provides us the perfect study in contrasts on this point of "car vs. tablet". The Tesla has much better functioning software than the Air right now, but it is far the lesser car in terms of everything else except raw acceleration. And we ciimb into the Air considerably more often than the Tesla when leaving home, usually with no discussion.

The Honda will be our last ICE vehicle and, software issues notwithstanding, the Air has no current peer in the EV world for people who put the driving/riding experience first and foremost.
Agree. Would totally buy again. Love driving the car. Software needs work but getting there, albeit much more slowly than I expected.

Have a DEP since Dec 21. Mid march this year we ordered a Pure. The driving dynamics of the DEP are so good that we believe the Pure, being lighter and a lot less expensive, will be a lot more fun to drive.

Absolutely. Agree with everything @hmp10 said. It is an incredible drive.

I have a Hummer EV SUV reservation. If I get it in early 2023, I will probably sell the DE.

I like driving the Lucid but it at the moment it is a frustrating daily driver and will give Lucid until the end of the year to have release quality software.

I’m 50/50. I love the car, drives great, has great range and fast charging. I’ve lost a lot of trust in Lucid and take what they say with a grain of salt these days (lets be honest, they don’t say much at all). The post sales service is night and day compared to the pre sales but I really question whether the management team at Lucid knows what it’s doing. This is supposed to be a luxury car and the pre sales experience people are getting is far from perfect. The customers Lucid wants typically don’t have a lot of patience and will take their money elsewhere if they feel they’re getting messed about which is what’s happening a lot with of people in pre sales now. The silence from the company is unacceptable and sometimes it’s just better to fess up that you‘ve messed up, resetting to get things back on track than to say nothing at all.

They showed off bi-directional charging. Where is it?
They showed off Dream Drive Pro. Where is it?
They said Apple CarPlay / Android Auto compatible. Where is it?

The software is a whole other topic but there are just some things with it that make me question, what on earth were you thinking! For me, I really love the car but the management is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Clearly, Peter overpromised and has underdelivered at this stage. Look at where Rivian is in its software compared to Lucid. They both have similar startup timeframes so Lucid should be embarrassed with what they’ve delivered to customers when it comes to the software alone.

Look at where Rivian is in its software compared to Lucid. They both have similar startup timeframes so Lucid should be embarrassed with what they’ve delivered to customers when it comes to the software alone.

I reserved a Rivian R1S three and half years ago, and recent emails from Rivian lead me to believe it will be 2023 -- or possibly even 2024 -- before I see that vehicle. Their software may be good, but its utility to drivers who are still waiting for their vehicles is sort of like the classic question about perception: if a tree falls in the forest with no-one to hear it, does it really make a sound?

Last edited:
I’m 50/50. I love the car, drives great, has great range and fast charging. I’ve lost a lot of trust in Lucid and take what they say with a grain of salt these days (lets be honest, they don’t say much at all). The post sales service is night and day compared to the pre sales but I really question whether the management team at Lucid knows what it’s doing. This is supposed to be a luxury car and the pre sales experience people are getting is far from perfect. The customers Lucid wants typically don’t have a lot of patience and will take their money elsewhere if they feel they’re getting messed about which is what’s happening a lot with of people in pre sales now. The silence from the company is unacceptable and sometimes it’s just better to fess up that you‘ve messed up, resetting to get things back on track than to say nothing at all.

The software is a whole other topic but there are just some things with it that make me question, what on earth were you thinking! For me, I really love the car but the management is leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Clearly, Peter overpromised and has underdelivered at this stage. Look at where Rivian is in its software compared to Lucid. They both have similar startup timeframes so Lucid should be embarrassed with what they’ve delivered to customers when it comes to the software alone.
Does anyone know about Rivian's software since you brought it up? It looks very much like a copy of Tesla's software and the fact they are not providing support for CarPlay or Android Auto has me going...hmmmmmmm did they cut a deal with Tesla to get a copy of their software code? 🤔🤔

I was considering a Pure reservation before June 1st, but let the date pass without one due to the piss poor customer service on my current GT delivery.

Does anyone know about Rivian's software since you brought it up? It looks very much like a copy of Tesla's software and the fact they are not providing support for CarPlay or Android Auto has me going...hmmmmmmm did they cut a deal with Tesla to get a copy of their software code? 🤔🤔
It looks very similar to Tesla with the layout etc. Rivian is getting a lot of praise in its reviews and I haven’t heard anything negative about the software and seems to be pretty smooth.

The internet is ruthless so with all the reviews out there we would have heard if something was wrong. Every video I’ve seen , the reviewer has gone off and ordered one.

I agree with everything you said, except the part about Rivian having superior a superior software experience. I have an R1S on order and spend a fair amount of time reading feedback from owners. I do not believe I have heard one positive thing said about the software experience by people who actually own a Rivian. For some reason superior software is a myth of this forum. Rivian is on its own painful journey and faulty and stripped down software is a large part of it.

3 months into my gold DE-P, yes I would buy another. I confirmed this by spending a weekend in a Bentley Flying Spur and realizing the Air is superior. For those of you who don’t have your Air yet…don’t be scared of the niggling complaints on some of the design features you’re reading about. We put these comments on here because Lucid is tracking the forum and listening to our complaints. We are hoping these result in improvements. I attended the opening of the Lucid showroom in Denver on Friday night and had a great time taking to a Lucid engineer who came over to Atieva from Tesla in 2015. He confirmed that 1) Ford and GM each bought and tore down a DE, 2) CarPlay will be here within 3 months, 3) the “clunk” when releasing the hold is going to get much less noticeable with an upcoming software change, and 4) current Air owners will get first dibs on Gravity reservations, and that the Gravity is like a tall Air. So yes, I’ll be buying one.

I agree with everything you said, except the part about Rivian having superior a superior software experience. I have an R1S on order and spend a fair amount of time reading feedback from owners. I do not believe I have heard one positive thing said about the software experience by people who actually own a Rivian. For some reason superior software is a myth of this forum. Rivian is on its own painful journey and faulty and stripped down software is a large part of it.
Interesting….. I don’t read the Rivian forums but going by all the YouTube reviews you’d think it’s the best car from a startup in the world.

Love mine, unlike many I had a positive pre sales experience - and as many have said the post sales experience is very positive (as it should be)
I have frustrations with the software state - but absolutely none of them bother me.
I don’t tend to drive with music, the nav disappointed (and I am not yet on 1.2.6) … so from my POV the sw does everything I need - well. When I do play music I tend to select the songs on my phone because it is quicker (Or more likely because my daughter has it and I am about to get a run down of the latest music that an 11 year old loves)

I spent at hour at OCDetailing today for the routine checkup of the ppf. I had three different people come talk to me - GT4 owner, Taycan wagon owner and a model 3 - all wanting to know more - the Porsche owners both knew the car, the colour the quirks but were so interested. V cool.

I’d buy it again - while I’m v happy with the red, I would still flip flop around Grey and Silver

To answer the question, yes I’d buy another, but what I’d love to see is a more compact Lucid to compete with the Model 3/Polestar/Ioniq 5/EV6. THAT would be a perfect tooling around town car, and save the GT for Grand Touring. It’s almost comical how infrequently I need to charge my GT as my daily commuter, it’s like it’s begging me to abuse it in Sprint mode so that I have to plug it in more than once every 2 weeks.

While the software bumbles are well covered here, 1.2.6 for me at least is a huge improvement and makes the car “ready” enough for me now. DD Pro and CarPlay will be the icing on the cake. What concerns me is not software, it’s mechanical reliability, and IMO with these early vehicles there’s been soooooo many weird unique-to-each car problems that I think that’s where Lucid has the most room for improvement, not the computer on wheels part. Like how many motors have needed replacing so far? Lucid service is so amazingly good that having a motor swapped out is kind of just a brief minor inconvenience but they gotta learn to build cars with things that don’t break that easily.

3 months into my gold DE-P, yes I would buy another. I confirmed this by spending a weekend in a Bentley Flying Spur and realizing the Air is superior. For those of you who don’t have your Air yet…don’t be scared of the niggling complaints on some of the design features you’re reading about. We put these comments on here because Lucid is tracking the forum and listening to our complaints. We are hoping these result in improvements. I attended the opening of the Lucid showroom in Denver on Friday night and had a great time taking to a Lucid engineer who came over to Atieva from Tesla in 2015. He confirmed that 1) Ford and GM each bought and tore down a DE, 2) CarPlay will be here within 3 months, 3) the “clunk” when releasing the hold is going to get much less noticeable with an upcoming software change, and 4) current Air owners will get first dibs on Gravity reservations, and that the Gravity is like a tall Air. So yes, I’ll be buying one.
"1) Ford and GM each bought and tore down a DE"---so what?

Market Research 101, and we have no idea what they found/concluded

Back