Need help deciding to buy

svoelpel

Cars
Bolt
I placed a deposit for the Air Pure back in 2021. Got frustrated with the wait and loss of the $7500 tax credit and cancelled my reservation early last year. With current incentives I can buy the 2023 Pure AWD for $67k plus taxes, reg, etc which has rekindled my interest. Would appreciate comments from recent buyers about current software status and any service issues. I have not followed the forum in the past 18 months so have not seen posts commenting on OTA upgrades. Also would appreciate comments on the appearance of the fabric used on the dash and door trim. My initial reaction was negative but have not seen it in person. I know color is a very individual taste but would also like comments on white versus fathom blue. Is the PurLuxe seat fabric perforated? Thanks.

I too had a similar experience to you. I ordered one last month ('24 Pure in Blue) but only after I had a chance to sit in it and test drive it. I'm coming from an Audi S5 (and a S5 before that and a A6 before that and a S3 before that and (well you get the idea)). I love the fit and finish of Audi and how it feels while driving. The Lucid was on par with Audi and slightly better in a few categories.

Hope that helps!

I placed a deposit for the Air Pure back in 2021. Got frustrated with the wait and loss of the $7500 tax credit and cancelled my reservation early last year. With current incentives I can buy the 2023 Pure AWD for $67k plus taxes, reg, etc which has rekindled my interest. Would appreciate comments from recent buyers about current software status and any service issues. I have not followed the forum in the past 18 months so have not seen posts commenting on OTA upgrades. Also would appreciate comments on the appearance of the fabric used on the dash and door trim. My initial reaction was negative but have not seen it in person. I know color is a very individual taste but would also like comments on white versus fathom blue. Is the PurLuxe seat fabric perforated? Thanks.
The software is much, much better than it was when I got my car in December '22. It's not perfect, but it is not a major headache the way it was. I have a Touring so I don't know anything about the current fabric finishes in the Pure.
To give you an idea of how enjoyable it is to drive a Lucid, I have about 22k miles in my 14 months of ownership.
Simply put, it's a pisser to drive. Buy it. You'll enjoy it.

Buy it. Great car, great value. Just bought my Air Pure last December and there have been numerous OTA upgrades since then. Seamless- just get out of the car and an hour later it is done. I only have a few random quirky messages pop up but everything works as expected. The fabric is nice to look at and feel- no idea how it will hold up as Lucy is only a couple months old!

Software has vastly improved to a point where I feel a majority of the work is probably more feature additions \ tweaks to existing apps etc. but at this stage of the game I don't think it's got major bugs or missing anything software wise that's a deal breaker. If you're one to swap cars every 3 years then I probably wouldn't foot the bill for DreamDrive Pro. Lucid hasn't really done anything with it in over 18 months and an extra $5K is a tall ask to go from DreamDrive Premium to Pro just for Highway Assist at this stage given HA still has some quirks.

I haven't seen the fabrics or been in a Pure but I do know the build quality of the vehicles has also improved since the early days. Since you were last looking, you probably have a lot more customization options available than what was initially presented.

I would say the overall experience is amazing. The software is the worst part. As many have pointed out, most of the main must haves are there. Unlike what others have said, I've experienced plenty of bugs in the software and things arent too intuitive at times. The app is a little lackluster too (why cant a turn on my dang heat warmers?! Why does it take so long to wake the car?!). Lastly, the biggest issue that continuously plagues the Air is the door unlocking issues. You can do a quick search and see a lot of people talking about this but the skinny is that if you dont use the key fob then your experience is going to be a little lackluster. Even with the key fob, there will be times where you scratch your head asking why the car wont open.

If you look past those items then you have the best driving EV out there with amazing comfort. I love driving mine everyday.

Lastly, the biggest issue that continuously plagues the Air is the door unlocking issues. You can do a quick search and see a lot of people talking about this but the skinny is that if you dont use the key fob then your experience is going to be a little lackluster. Even with the key fob, there will be times where you scratch your head asking why the car wont open.

I have not had door unlocking issues for well over 6 months. I keep the valet card in my wallet as a backup but haven't had to use it. The proximity locking \ unlocking has vastly improved from the early days (yes, it was horrendous). I think I can count on one hand how many times i've had to push the handle to get the car to unlock in the past 6 to 8 months. In other words, I no longer look back at the car to see if its locked when walking away or checking the app notoriously to make sure the car is locked i'm that confident with it now.

If you haven't already, this would be something i'd speak to Lucid about and have checked.

It's important to remember that the newer builds have ROBUST software. Some of the early adopters (DE buyers and builds before latest updates) still feel the scars they suffered while the car was being sorted.

This is because the car is so extraordinary. I don't know how many folk come here so upset that they proclaim they are giving up their Lucid ... and if there are such folk ... they regret it.

Its an amazing car. I dont even think about the occasional software glitch. Have no reservations and have enjoyed the car for over a year. I’d buy again without hesitation.

I have not had door unlocking issues for well over 6 months. I keep the valet card in my wallet as a backup but haven't had to use it. The proximity locking \ unlocking has vastly improved from the early days (yes, it was horrendous). I think I can count on one hand how many times i've had to push the handle to get the car to unlock in the past 6 to 8 months. In other words, I no longer look back at the car to see if its locked when walking away or checking the app notoriously to make sure the car is locked i'm that confident with it now.

If you haven't already, this would be something i'd speak to Lucid about and have checked.
They have and they replaced the antennas. It has helped drastically. Most the time it works but there are still times that you have to touch the handles a couple of times. I would say batting 90% now days but that’s only if I bring the fob. If I rely on my mobile key then that percentage drops quickly. Typically I will need to pull out my phone and turn the screen on if I want the mobile key to work reliably. It also just seems to be a car to car issue that I always like to caution people.

One of my buddies bought a used 2022 GT and wants to sell it already because he’s gotten locked out the car twice now. I’m also urging him to have lucid take a look at it. Not to mention the many many horror stories on the forum. All this has lead me to at least mention these things as potential issues that people may face. I stalked this forum for weeks before I bought and was shocked that this issue wasn’t mentioned more. Just trying to provide that to a potential buyer so they aren’t shocked like I was.

Is it as good as Tesla software? No. Is it good enough? Yes.

You might want to take a look at the feature polls and see what kind of things aren't available yet. I don't consider any of them dealbreakers - though maybe things like sentry mode or android auto are to you.

The other thing to note that, coming from a Tesla, the build quality is night and day. I couldn't find a single thing out of place on mine. Sure, you'll read the occasional forum post about service nightmares, but I think its safe to say those are the exception.

They have and they replaced the antennas. It has helped drastically. Most the time it works but there are still times that you have to touch the handles a couple of times. I would say batting 90% now days but that’s only if I bring the fob. If I rely on my mobile key then that percentage drops quickly. Typically I will need to pull out my phone and turn the screen on if I want the mobile key to work reliably. It also just seems to be a car to car issue that I always like to caution people.

One of my buddies bought a used 2022 GT and wants to sell it already because he’s gotten locked out the car twice now. I’m also urging him to have lucid take a look at it. Not to mention the many many horror stories on the forum. All this has lead me to at least mention these things as potential issues that people may face. I stalked this forum for weeks before I bought and was shocked that this issue wasn’t mentioned more. Just trying to provide that to a potential buyer so they aren’t shocked like I was.
Honestly I think most of us just carry the keyfob around. I know I do.

The only software issues that remain for me are occasional audio problems and locking issues. Specifically, Tidal will occasionally take a few minutes to become operable and play music. I still have intermittent issues with my car not locking when I exit and walk away. Of note, I only use the fob, not my phone. Those are really my only significant software problems at this point.
I have owned the vehicle for 17 months and really do love it.

I have the 2023 Pure AWD and absolutely love the car. I have had no issues at all with it and love driving it. The dashboard fabric makes the interior unique and the seats are perforated. Go for it!

I have had my GT for a few days over two years and it is still the most fun car that I have ever owned. I still look for excuses to go drive it. The 2.x software release was a night and day improvement from where the software was a detraction from the enjoying the car to where is is only mildly annoying on rare occasions. During the first 10 months of ownership, I was in service 11 times. I have not been in service since May 2023 so Lucid has made a lot of improvements to both the existing fleet and new cars coming off of the production line. I think new cars are much less likely to encounter problems than the very early cars like mine. The bottom line is that Lucid service will take care of any issues that come up.

I think the unlocking complaint is a bit overblown on the forum. Yes the mobile key in the phone takes longer to unlock the car than the fob but really only a few seconds. The fob works perfectly for me except when approaching the car from directly behind. This is a dead area on all Lucids for BLE reception used by the fob and mobile key. The delay with the mobile key is long enough that I do carry the fob when I go shopping and know I will be carrying things out to the car. Other times I just use the mobile key and and carry the valet card as backup. The battery in my fob is 9 months old and still working fine. The fob battery issue is also overblown.

Another thing that you will see a lot of complaints on the forum about is the Homelink button when backing out of your garage. It takes 3 button presses to close the garage door. I completely agree that this should be improved and is a poor design interface. But the fact that this rises to high on the list of complaints tells you the rest of the software must be pretty good.

Don't think twice, go buy a Lucid. It is the most fun and comfortable EV available.

I would go with the full leather interior. It is of great quality and matches the luxury side of the car. And get the massage seats also and make sure you get Sound Pro and at least the Dreamdrive Premium. You won't regret it.

Honestly I think most of us just carry the keyfob around. I know I do.
It fits so nicely in the tiny right side watch pocket of my jeans...like it was made for it. I started only wearing pants that have a watch pocket.
By the way, I'm on the same fob batteries 17 months now.

There might me one more thing. I'm in no hurry for my car to unlock.
I like to take my time approaching my car. It is a modern miracle of technology...and it's so beautiful.

Back