What's with the light colored carpets?

jeepn30

Cars
'13 Tesla Model S
So as I'm looking at all of the variants for interiors, the thing that strikes me is the carpet in the car matches the seat color. I prefer the lighter colors for an interior. However, I had a '13 328i that had matching carpet to the tan interior, and it was awful. They looked so crappy with all of the dirt and grime brought in during the winter here in the midwest. Dak carpets at least hide dirt better. I don't think I would ever buy another car with light carpets.

It’s whatever “floats your boat”, so to speak. I do not like the light interior/carpets and it was the only reason I did not order a DE back in January, 2021. I really wish they had both a light and a dark option for the DE, but they didn’t.

Good thing for you though is that there are options in the other trim levels.

So as I'm looking at all of the variants for interiors, the thing that strikes me is the carpet in the car matches the seat color. I prefer the lighter colors for an interior. However, I had a '13 328i that had matching carpet to the tan interior, and it was awful. They looked so crappy with all of the dirt and grime brought in during the winter here in the midwest. Dak carpets at least hide dirt better. I don't think I would ever buy another car with light carpets.
Most car manufacturers produce a black or dark carpet mat. I’m in the U.K. and haven’t seen a physical car yet but if Lucid chooses not to offer this then it surely won’t be long before someone else does (for a price).

Of course, we don't have snow and mud where I live, but we get a lot of rain which means climbing back into cars with wet shoes from oily parking lots. I've been surprised at how well the light Dream carpets are holding up. Not just dirt, but what look like stains actually vacuum out easily. Our car now has almost 4,500 miles on it, and the carpets still look new. They must have some killer stain repellent treatment on them.

I'm sure they will start to diminish in appearance at some point. If it takes a lot longer, I'll just order Santa Monica replacement mats from Lucid, as I really like their look. If they don't hold up as long as I'd like, I'll buy a set of Mojave mats, which I think should go nicely with the darker door trim of the Dream. (I definitely won't go aftermarket for mats, as the Lucid mats are plush and beautifully trimmed.)

We live on a farm and the light carpet is definitely a challenge. The service tech did tell me that I could order the floor mats in a grey color to replace the white mats. They would still coordinate with the Dream interior. So, that may be an option for some.....or the all weather mats that Hydbob has posted on this forum.

The tech also advised to be wary of mats that go up under the pedals of the car. Apparently one of the fatality accidents that occurred in a Tesla were the results of an aftermarket mat that had shifted in such a way that it locked/restricted the accelerator pedal and the vehicle could not be stopped. So if you put in aftermarket mats that go up under the accelerator and brake pedals you may want to find a way to adhere them to the carpeting. Moral of the story: Design of the floormats by Lucid was intentional.

I’ve gotten mud on the light mats and it vacuumed right off.
I love the light mats :)

I'm Having trouble with my mats. They act like a sponge and suck the dirt from the bottom of my shoes leaving the mats looking very dirty.
I'm afraid to not have them covered??? I scotch guarded them and that did not help?
Solutions anyone?

I'm Having trouble with my mats. They act like a sponge and suck the dirt from the bottom of my shoes leaving the mats looking very dirty.
I'm afraid to not have them covered??? I scotch guarded them and that did not help?
Solutions anyone?
What color are your mats?

Oh hm. My Tahoe colored mats responded well to the scotch guard trick (two coats) but within about 1-2 weeks, I ended up getting the beige motor trend mats which turned out to be almost a perfect color match and size fit. Not as elegant as carpet but reasonable and practical.

Oh hm. My Tahoe colored mats responded well to the scotch guard trick (two coats) but within about 1-2 weeks, I ended up getting the beige motor trend mats which turned out to be almost a perfect color match and size fit. Not as elegant as carpet but reasonable and practical.
I had to take the Motor Trend mats out of the car. The smell of rubber was so overpowering it was giving me a headache even after leaving them outside for a week I still can't get rid of the smell from them. I asked Lucid for a set of Mojave mats but they're not selling them yet so have been added to a list.

I had to take the Motor Trend mats out of the car. The smell of rubber was so overpowering it was giving me a headache even after leaving them outside for a week I still can't get rid of the smell from them. I asked Lucid for a set of Mojave mats but they're not selling them yet so have been added to a list.
I had that exact issue with Motor Trend mats a few years ago. They never fully off-gassed no matter how long I left them outside and could almost feel my brain cells dying in real-time when they were in the car.

seems to be hit or miss, mine had no smell at all when they arrived =/

Could the smell be associated with the color of the mats? Everyone should provide their color and report on the smell.
Nope, I have the Motor Trend beige mats for the Tahoe interior. No smell.

I have the black mats; also no smell ever. But I'd much rather have the WeatherTech.
The dark grey ones! Also, when are they coming out?!?! Another few months right? I'm contemplating if I should get the trim to fit ones foe the trunk

Back