My two year review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolandphx

Cars
GLE AMG
2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring
review after owning it for two years and driving 20,000 miles.

Pros:
I think it is the best looking EV and it handles nicely.

Cons:
1. Sits too low, so you end up scratching the bottom on the rain curbs even at low crawling speeds.
2. Voice commands/Alexa is terrible. Generally doesn't do what you want it to do.
3. Garage/gate opener is so bad that I use a visor remote.
4. Fronk is always an issue. Typically opens half way then goes back down but doesn't lock, so you are forced to get out and push it down or repeatedly press the open button and hope it opens.
5. There are times I am in the car with the keyfob in my pocket and the car will not switch into drive because it does not sense the keyfob.
6. No android auto.
7. Navigation is light years behind google maps.
8. Interior quality is maybe better than mid-level cars but is definitely not on par with Mercedes or BMW. Trunk fascia and carpets come loose and had to be glued back by the service.
9. Initially the service center would answer calls right away. Now you leave a message and they call you back in a couple of hours.
10. It definitely did not retain any value. Dropped by 50% ($60k) in two years.
11. Self driving features are just a giant joke.

Conclusion:
The driving experience is good, but it isn't a porsche. The build quality and materials are okay, but it isn't a Mercedes. The software and interfaces are just okay, definitely not a Tesla. For $120,000 plus this vehicle should be better. I feel that they over-promissed and under-delivered. Hindsight 20/20, maybe I should have bought an EQS.

I can think of huge list of pros and cons of eqs too. I personally don't like the dash and the design of eqs. It is nowhere near lucid in range and efficiency and that matters more to me than lack of Android Auto or fancy tesla software with so called fsd with just cameras. Now that we have a device for android auto, I am not concerned about lack of google maps. Not quite 2yrs but in 1 yr 4 months I logged 15k miles on air pure including a super long distance drive.

Cons:
1. Sits too low, so you end up scratching the bottom on the rain curbs even at low crawling speeds.
Literally one of my favorite features of this car, or any high performance car, is how low it sits. Yes, you have to be more careful, that's true. I do not scrape almost ever, with rare exceptions.

2. Voice commands/Alexa is terrible. Generally doesn't do what you want it to do.
True. I can't stand Alexa in the car, though she has improved significantly - I use Siri through CarPlay and it's a non-issue. But I agree Alexa sucks.

"So bad"? Bad how? It works every single time I tap it. If you mean that it takes a *whole four taps* and that makes it 'so bad you use a visor remote,' then while I respect your opinion we will simply have to agree to disagree, lol. I agree the UX could be improved, but a 'car killer' it definitely ain't.

4. Fronk is always an issue. Typically opens half way then goes back down but doesn't lock, so you are forced to get out and push it down or repeatedly press the open button and hope it opens.
You should get this checked out by service and have your latches replaced / realigned. Quick service visit.

5. There are times I am in the car with the keyfob in my pocket and the car will not switch into drive because it does not sense the keyfob.
Change the battery in your fob, and make sure it doesn't have bitterant coating; if it does, remove it with rubbing alcohol first.

6. No android auto.
Yeah. I do hope they add this soon for you Android folks.

"Lightyears"? Seems a bit histrionic, but OK. I find it perfectly fine, and occasionally it routes even better than Google. Though I mostly use Waze through CarPlay, I do often use the Lucid nav as well.

8. Interior quality is maybe better than mid-level cars but is definitely not on par with Mercedes or BMW. Trunk fascia and carpets come loose and had to be glued back by the service.
Agree to disagree, I guess. I personally love the mid-century modern / Scandinavian design style way more than the 'old grand opulence' of Mercedes/BMW. As for service fixing the trunk, I'm glad they took care of you.

9. Initially the service center would answer calls right away. Now you leave a message and they call you back in a couple of hours.
Try texting. They typically respond much faster via text.

Luxury vehicles depreciate far faster than other vehicles. This is just as true for Mercedes or anyone else, particularly for their upper trims.

I love Highway Assist and use it almost every day. Not sure what you mean.

Conclusion:
The driving experience is good, but it isn't a porsche. The build quality and materials are okay, but it isn't a Mercedes. The software and interfaces are just okay, definitely not a Tesla. For $120,000 plus this vehicle should be better. I feel that they over-promissed and under-delivered. Hindsight 20/20, maybe I should have bought an EQS.
I respect your opinion, though it would appear I disagree on almost every point, haha.

And, to be fair, you are still free to sell the Lucid and get an EQS! If it fits your preferences better, so be it, drive and enjoy! Not every car is for every person. Won't catch me dead in an EQS, lol, but I have friends who love their i7 too; to each their own!

Have a wonderful weekend :)

I can think of huge list of pros and cons of eqs too. I personally don't like the dash and the design of eqs. It is nowhere near lucid in range and efficiency and that matters more to me than lack of Android Auto or fancy tesla software with so called fsd with just cameras. Now that we have a device for android auto, I am not concerned about lack of google maps. Not quite 2yrs but in 1 yr 4 months I logged 15k miles on air pure including a super long distance drive.
For us, EQS and GT have almost the same efficiency: 3.2 vs. 3.3.

For us, EQS and GT have almost the same efficiency: 3.2 vs. 3.3.
I see. I guess pure is more efficient. What about range in eqs? Does it come close to GT or even pure?

2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring
review after owning it for two years and driving 20,000 miles.

Pros:
I think it is the best looking EV and it handles nicely.

Cons:
6. No android auto.

Conclusion:
Did you sit in it and/or drive it before buying it? Some of these things would take a bit of driving to notice, but others should be immediately apparent. If that's the way you feel about the car, then yeah, you probably should have bought the EQS.

Honestly, It’s hard to see this as a credible review if all you can say on the positive side is that it looks good and handles nicely.
I suppose you are right. I should have called it my views, or my thoughts, or my opinions on my vehicle. Certainly didn't mean to make it look or sound like a comprehensive all inclusive review. I am entitled to these opinions as they are based on my experiences with my vehicles.

Did you sit in it and/or drive it before buying it? Some of these things would take a bit of driving to notice, but others should be immediately apparent. If that's the way you feel about the car, then yeah, you probably should have bought the EQS.
I did sit in it. I test drove it. It is what it is.

Literally one of my favorite features of this car, or any high performance car, is how low it sits. Yes, you have to be more careful, that's true. I do not scrape almost ever, with rare exceptions.

True. I can't stand Alexa in the car, though she has improved significantly - I use Siri through CarPlay and it's a non-issue. But I agree Alexa sucks.

"So bad"? Bad how? It works every single time I tap it. If you mean that it takes a *whole four taps* and that makes it 'so bad you use a visor remote,' then while I respect your opinion we will simply have to agree to disagree, lol. I agree the UX could be improved, but a 'car killer' it definitely ain't.

You should get this checked out by service and have your latches replaced / realigned. Quick service visit.

Change the battery in your fob, and make sure it doesn't have bitterant coating; if it does, remove it with rubbing alcohol first.

Yeah. I do hope they add this soon for you Android folks.

"Lightyears"? Seems a bit histrionic, but OK. I find it perfectly fine, and occasionally it routes even better than Google. Though I mostly use Waze through CarPlay, I do often use the Lucid nav as well.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I personally love the mid-century modern / Scandinavian design style way more than the 'old grand opulence' of Mercedes/BMW. As for service fixing the trunk, I'm glad they took care of you.

Try texting. They typically respond much faster via text.

Luxury vehicles depreciate far faster than other vehicles. This is just as true for Mercedes or anyone else, particularly for their upper trims.

I love Highway Assist and use it almost every day. Not sure what you mean.

I respect your opinion, though it would appear I disagree on almost every point, haha.

And, to be fair, you are still free to sell the Lucid and get an EQS! If it fits your preferences better, so be it, drive and enjoy! Not every car is for every person. Won't catch me dead in an EQS, lol, but I have friends who love their i7 too; to each their own!

Have a wonderful weekend :)
I have had it to the service center 5 times and all five times they tried to fix the fronk issue. I could claim lemon laws at this point if I really wanted to.

I have had it to the service center 5 times and all five times they tried to fix the fronk issue. I could claim lemon laws at this point if I really wanted to.
Which service center? They can definitely fix the frunk.

I suppose you are right. I should have called it my views, or my thoughts, or my opinions on my vehicle. Certainly didn't mean to make it look or sound like a comprehensive all inclusive review. I am entitled to these opinions as they are based on my experiences with my vehicles.
Absolutely entitled to your opinions. Thanks for posting this.

I agree with OP on the nav software. Lucid has been very actively working on improving it. But IMO it will forever be at a disadvantage compared to Google Maps' far more complete database, and the relative ease of supplying crowdsourced user input and corrections to Google vs HERE.

1.5 pros and 11 negatives… why do you still have it? Honestly just curious - does it just look that much better to you than the rest? :)

1.5 pros and 11 negatives… why do you still have it? Honestly just curious - does it just look that much better to you than the rest? :)
Yes, I do feel it looks good. I also understand that nothing is perfect, but with a six figure price tag it should be. I was buying what was promised, not what was delivered, and that's on me. Lucid needs to do better. Any other company without the Saudi bail money at every corner would have failed by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back