My “Lucidversary” review

TrekTaken

Verified Owner
Cars
LucidAT;Tesla3;ToyoMirai
Referral Code
IO95SV1B
On my “Lucidversary,” I’d like to share the pros and cons about owning a Lucid Air for a year.

Let’s start with driving experience. Three hours commute to work and back every day is a pain, but my Lucid Air makes it comfortable. First, the 21-speakers wonderfully stream music through Apple CarPlay. If you’re like me who was unhappily forced from compact discs to the lossy audio of streaming, then you’ll be delighted to know that music through the Lucid sounds like CDs and vinyl records, with beautiful separation from high to low notes, crisp vocals, and multi-dimensional immersion (e.g., guitars playing through left speakers and cymbals playing through right speakers while the piano magically floats out above you). Second, the ride is extremely smooth. My previous EV (which I completely hated, and don’t even acknowledge its existence) was stiff, and you feel everything on the road. The Lucid rides pleasantly like… well… you’re floating on “Air.” Also, the 34 inches glass “cockpit display” and “pilot panel” create the sense that you’re a pilot. And third, there isn’t “range anxiety” when driving efficiently at 4.8 miles per kWh because that calculates to over 440 miles in distance.

Customer service at Lucid has been outstanding. From entering a Lucid Studio and being greeted the very first time; to placing the reservation online; to taking the test drive; to converting the reservation into an order to build the car to your specification; to planning the delivery process; to taking possession of the car; to stopping by any studio and asking questions weeks and months later; and even to being driven to work while your car is serviced for a recall item, every sales person, delivery person, and service person have been consistently friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable.

Four other things are worth mentioning. The Lucid Air is heavy and solidly built that it isn’t fazed by heavy wind and rain. The glass canopy roof creates an open feel that allows passengers to admire nature or buildings above. People shout out, “cool car,” or “gorgeous car,” or “love your car,” to me at stop lights, so I… err, I mean my car loves the attention. And, the backseats have so much space for two people to take a nap… 😜🤣!

No car is perfect though. There are three annoyances. Apple CarPlay disconnects when you’re in a cellular dead zone, so you have to turn off the wifi in your iPhone for a minute, then turn it back on, for Lucid and Apple to communicate with each other again. The car has low ground clearance, so you have to drive slowly and at an angle on steep curbs and driveways. Finally, both my red sunglasses (to complement my red Lucid) and purple sunglasses often trigger the “pay attention” notification. Therefore, any sunglasses that is not black causes the car to think that you’re falling asleep, so it shakes the steering wheel to wake you up.

Two of the problems will be fixed eventually with over-the-air (OTA) updates. Despite the minor issues, my car has been wonderful to own and drive. As improvements and new features are added via OTA, I look forward to enjoying the Lucid Air for many more years.

Attachments

• IMG_3068.jpeg
    IMG_3068.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 599
nice review however I don't agree with your assessment of the sound system. I run spotify via car play and the quality is far from premium. maybe it is the source but it appears that the bass is not very strong

nice review however I don't agree with your assessment of the sound system. I run spotify via car play and the quality is far from premium. maybe it is the source but it appears that the bass is not very strong
This topic has been beaten to death on this forum. The Lucid is NOT a bass factory, as the mids are meant to be crystal clear.

Agree. My take as well thus far coming Burmester system. I have an appointment scheduled with my GT to see exactly what is going on but thus far it’s definitely subpar. Car drives like a dream.

I rip my CDs in iTunes, set at 320 kbps, then upload to YouTube Music. It’s the second best quality I’ve gotten (first being Tidal). I’ve never gotten any good sound quality from Spotify.

This suggestion will be anachronistic, and it requires some work up front... If sound quality is important, and cellular coverage is spotty in your area, get a Plex subscription. Rip CDs (or vinyl if you're into that sort of pain) in FLAC or WAV format, store them on your PC (or dedicated Plex server if you're up for that), download the music onto your iPhone using Plexamp, use wired CarPlay into the car, and enjoy the clearest music you can get without Tidal streaming. One nice thing about Plexamp is that it has an equalizer and other audio customizations, for those of us who like a little more oomph. Tidal songs in Max quality is still the best sounding source to my ears, but full bitrate CDs locally stored, played through Plexamp, is the best compromise for quality, reliability and ease of use in the car.

(P.S. Yes, most of this can be done with iTunes, but I have a love-hate relationship with iTunes.)

(P.P.S. Plex also does a great job streaming at high bitrates too if you don't have a bunch of storage on your iPhone, but the music needs to be on a running PC or server. Other than that, the end experience is exactly the same.)

(P.P.P.S. If you're looking for a lower effort way to get into the Plex ecosystem, subscribers can share access to libraries and playlists between other subscribers.)

On my “Lucidversary,” I’d like to share the pros and cons about owning a Lucid Air for a year.

Let’s start with driving experience. Three hours commute to work and back every day is a pain, but my Lucid Air makes it comfortable. First, the 21-speakers wonderfully stream music through Apple CarPlay. If you’re like me who was unhappily forced from compact discs to the lossy audio of streaming, then you’ll be delighted to know that music through the Lucid sounds like CDs and vinyl records, with beautiful separation from high to low notes, crisp vocals, and multi-dimensional immersion (e.g., guitars playing through left speakers and cymbals playing through right speakers while the piano magically floats out above you). Second, the ride is extremely smooth. My previous EV (which I completely hated, and don’t even acknowledge its existence) was stiff, and you feel everything on the road. The Lucid rides pleasantly like… well… you’re floating on “Air.” Also, the 34 inches glass “cockpit display” and “pilot panel” create the sense that you’re a pilot. And third, there isn’t “range anxiety” when driving efficiently at 4.8 miles per kWh because that calculates to over 440 miles in distance.

Customer service at Lucid has been outstanding. From entering a Lucid Studio and being greeted the very first time; to placing the reservation online; to taking the test drive; to converting the reservation into an order to build the car to your specification; to planning the delivery process; to taking possession of the car; to stopping by any studio and asking questions weeks and months later; and even to being driven to work while your car is serviced for a recall item, every sales person, delivery person, and service person have been consistently friendly, accommodating, and knowledgeable.

Four other things are worth mentioning. The Lucid Air is heavy and solidly built that it isn’t fazed by heavy wind and rain. The glass canopy roof creates an open feel that allows passengers to admire nature or buildings above. People shout out, “cool car,” or “gorgeous car,” or “love your car,” to me at stop lights, so I… err, I mean my car loves the attention. And, the backseats have so much space for two people to take a nap… 😜🤣!

No car is perfect though. There are three annoyances. Apple CarPlay disconnects when you’re in a cellular dead zone, so you have to turn off the wifi in your iPhone for a minute, then turn it back on, for Lucid and Apple to communicate with each other again. The car has low ground clearance, so you have to drive slowly and at an angle on steep curbs and driveways. Finally, both my red sunglasses (to complement my red Lucid) and purple sunglasses often trigger the “pay attention” notification. Therefore, any sunglasses that is not black causes the car to think that you’re falling asleep, so it shakes the steering wheel to wake you up.

Two of the problems will be fixed eventually with over-the-air (OTA) updates. Despite the minor issues, my car has been wonderful to own and drive. As improvements and new features are added via OTA, I look forward to enjoying the Lucid Air for many more years.
fwiw, my Maui Jim glasses with blue lenses work fine. They're polarized, too.

fwiw, my Maui Jim glasses with blue lenses work fine. They're polarized, too.
Good to know, thanks! I haven’t tried blue sunglasses yet. Just a tiny sample size of red, purple, and black. I’ll have to get a blue pair and test them, then edit my “conclusion” to black and blue sunglasses.

Good to know, thanks! I haven’t tried blue sunglasses yet. Just a tiny sample size of red, purple, and black. I’ll have to get a blue pair and test them, then edit my “conclusion” to black and blue sunglasses.
I think it's the polarization that matters more than the color.

I stream music from Spotify app build into lucid but when i use CarPlay sounds louder i have the pro sound. Sometimes i hate it tbh. Lucid has a lot of work to do with software and i feel like they aren't working on it car has been out for 2 years now yet we have no clue why we paid 10k for the dream drive pro….

I have had an issue with sunglasses and now that I think about it, it was my Ray Ban Ferrari's with a red trim that matches my F-Type. The sun glasses I keep in the Lucid are Ray Bans and they have a blue frame with a polished silver bridge and they cause no issues.

Keep the red out!!!
Scuderia.png

I think it's the polarization that matters more than the color.
All three of my sunglasses are polarized, but only the black doesn’t have problems. Maybe the brand (Ray-Ban) might be a factor?

I have had an issue with sunglasses and now that I think about it, it was my Ray Ban Ferrari's with a red trim that matches my F-Type. The sun glasses I keep in the Lucid are Ray Bans and they have a blue frame with a polished silver bridge and they cause no issues.

Keep the red out!!!
View attachment 19561
All three of my sunglasses are Ray-Ban, so I think we might have common thread for the problem.

I stream music from Spotify app build into lucid but when i use CarPlay sounds louder i have the pro sound. Sometimes i hate it tbh. Lucid has a lot of work to do with software and i feel like they aren't working on it car has been out for 2 years now yet we have no clue why we paid 10k for the dream drive pro….
With lack of anticipated sales, they probably had to cut back on autonomous driving investments

Make sure to set your stream quality to high in both your phone and the car app. Helps a lot!

I’ll have to give Maui Jim sunglasses a try
You won't regret it. They are, by far, the best. What Maui Jim gets right are really the lenses. I'll put it the same way I put the Lucid: just go try it. If, when you walk outside and do a side-by-side comparison you don't find them obviously superior, don't buy them. Also, let me know because you'd be the first one I'd ever met. :)

They're also the Wirecutter pick for driving sunglasses.

There are a few other great brands too - Costa Del Mar, Smith Optics, Revo.

Stay away from any of the classic ones like Ray-Ban, Oakley, or any of those; they used to be really good, but haven't produced quality for the last decade or more. The exception, maybe, is the Ray Ban tech partnership stuff for FB goggles and whatnot - totally different team.

Particularly stay away from anything Luxottica if at all possible. Technically Costa Del Mar is owned by them but they are the one exception to the rule, and their quality is also getting more iffy - I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they're off my list. You might be surprised to find some of the brands Luxottica owns :Costa Del Mar, Oakley, Luxottica, Persol, Ray-Ban, Vogue, Olver Peoples, Armani, Brooks Brothers, Bulgari, Burberry, Chanel, Coach, Dolce & Gabbana, Michael Kors, Miu Miu, Polo Ralph Lauren, Prada, Ferrari, Swarovski, Tiffany & Co., Tory Burch, Valentino, Versace.

But the conspiracy goes further than that... these are the locations Luxottica owns: Sunglass Hut, LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Target Optical, EyeMed Vision Care, Oliver Peoples, Alain Mikli, Oakley, Glasses.com, Ray-Ban.

John Oliver did a thing on it:
Adam Ruins Everything did too:

Luxottica sucks.

Maui Jim just sold to Kering in 2022; I have seen no decline in quality or service yet. Kering owns a bunch of luxury brands: Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Bottega Veneta, Balenciaga, Creed, Alexander McQueen, Puma, Maui Jim, Boucheron, Brioni, JeanRichard, Qeelin, Pomellato, Dodo, Lindberg. I have no reason to suspect they'll decline in quality any more than any of those other luxury brands. 🤷‍♂️

Also, worth noting: Maui Jims literally never, ever ever, go on sale. They are never discounted. There is one exception: Costco. Limited styles, except for when they do one of their Road Shows - if you can find them at Costco though, they're way way cheaper. Like $103 instead of the normal $200-300. You'll never see them discounted anywhere else; if you do, tell me! :)

Back