Touring or Pure

The Pure can be 300 miles as long as the other models offer longer range.

As far as the AWD Pure I'm not sure it would have a shorter range with the two motors verse the RWD single motor model. EPA testing is done with a set acceleration rates having more power available will not result in shorter range (during testing). The weight of the additional motor is small compared to the weight of the car so no real penalty there. Plus front motor will allow heavier regenerative braking.

300 miles range is no where near sufficient in a car priced this high. It needs to at least match the refresh Tesla Model S at 407 and should even be higher. Especially, when you consider the ranges published are not even close to what you get in real world driving. Also, in Midwest the charging infrastructure is still very weak and even it was stronger, I don’t want to do more stops because range is so short.

I believe I will be getting the Pure with all possible options, including the 2nd motor, instead of a Touring with no options. Close enough to the same price.

View attachment 730

Here's a price breakdown for anyone interested. This is for a Lucid Air with:
  • Dual Motors
  • Non-white/black color
  • Dream Drive Pro
  • Surreal Sound System
  • 20" Wheels
  • 620 HP

I was also comparing the two. A sales rep told me the HP with dual motor Pure will stay the same but hard to imagine that's really the case but either ways I'm glad the AWD option is not more than 5000.
I ultimately reserved the Pure with Surreal Sound Pro, Color, and Dual Motor. Comes to 86100. I might forgo the Sound Pro depending how it sounds vs non-Pro. There's no price locking and with this crazy volatile market and supply chain it's not unlikely to not have any price increase, but if there is I'm hoping it won't be significant. I would much prefer to get the Pure than a Model Y as budget allows me.

even though I only paid $2K for FSD when they had the firesale, I've never realized any of the benefits.
I too purchased FSD during the 2k fire sale for my Model S. But my thinking was that it was worth it to me if only for the upgraded computer and cameras. After paying for the MCU2 upgrade, I feel that there is very little difference between my 2017 Model S and a 2020 Model S.

I have a Touring reservation, but I'm here in this forum to see if I'm going to happy trading in my Model S.

I have a Touring reservation, but I'm here in this forum to see if I'm going to happy trading in my Model S.

Thankfully most of the feedback if positive from current owners, most of the negative feedback is fixable things through OTA and better communication from Lucid pre-delivery.

I was also comparing the two. A sales rep told me the HP with dual motor Pure will stay the same but hard to imagine that's really the case but either ways I'm glad the AWD option is not more than 5000.
I ultimately reserved the Pure with Surreal Sound Pro, Color, and Dual Motor. Comes to 86100. I might forgo the Sound Pro depending how it sounds vs non-Pro. There's no price locking and with this crazy volatile market and supply chain it's not unlikely to not have any price increase, but if there is I'm hoping it won't be significant. I would much prefer to get the Pure than a Model Y as budget allows me.
I reserved the exact same config. I'm skeptical about the HP not changing with AWD also. I am thinking more specifics will be given once they are closer to actually producing a Pure. Peter Rawlinson spoke at SXSW in Austin and said a price hike was probably coming but that they would not increase the price for reservation holders.

I reserved the exact same config. I'm skeptical about the HP not changing with AWD also. I am thinking more specifics will be given once they are closer to actually producing a Pure. Peter Rawlinson spoke at SXSW in Austin and said a price hike was probably coming but that they would not increase the price for reservation holders.
In my conversation with Sales Advisor, he mentioned that HP is controlled by software in Touring vs Pure. Both have same battery but Pure will be limited to 406 miles at 480Hp. If you add AWD, you will still get same range as software update with release more KWH for the battery. Again not sure if he was totally correct but it is possible that both Tiuring and Pure have Same battery but Just software providing the range/HP difference.

Choking HP on ICE engines has been done for years via the CPU and will be done with EV’s also. In other words the same sized electric motors can be installed in three price levels of automobile and your HP will be adjusted by the manufacturer to the price level you pay.

Does any one know if there's any theoretical effect on range and battery's lifespan as a result of lower HP?

just curious, If you reserved for the Touring, can you confirm for the Pure at the time of designing/confirming your order when you eventually get that email months later? Apologies if this has been discussed before.

If you reserved for the Touring, can you confirm for the Pure at the time of designing/confirming your order when you eventually get that email months later?
Assuming that Lucid has not started confirmations for the Pure when they call you about confirming for your Touring, the likelihood is that they will convert your reservation for a T to a P and refund you $700. Then will send you a request to confirm your P when those confirmations start according to reservation date order.

Assuming that Lucid has not started confirmations for the Pure when they call you about confirming for your Touring, the likelihood is that they will convert your reservation for a T to a P and refund you $700. Then will send you a request to confirm your P when those confirmations start according to reservation date order.

But will the individual lose the three years of charging and the price protection? Put differently, will this be considered a new reservation as of the time of the conversion?

But will the individual lose the three years of charging and the price protection? Put differently, will this be considered a new reservation as of the time of the conversion?
I don't know the answer, but I would speculate no, you wouldn't lose the 3 years charging. Reason being, you've given them a deposit on a date that was prior to the expiration of the free charging offer.

I would also think that the reservation date stays the same. The only thing that might change would be price if Lucid changes the pricing at the time the reservation is changed

I am new to the EV market. Are the dual motors worth the price?

Do you care about 0-60 time or live in a snowy area? The AWD certainly does help with moving throughout the snow.

I am new to the EV market. Are the dual motors worth the price?
A dual motor all wheel drive will handle in better with weather conditions, like snow, for example. Otherwise, the single motor is fine as the case with the ICE cars.

I enjoy dual motors in most conditions. No wondering whether the car will hook up and go in light drizzle, two wheels on a sand shoulder re-entering roadway, etc. More driving confidence.

Not sure if the official numbers are out for Touring or Pure. EV-Database lists both at 88 kWh capacity and 85 kWh "usable battery." (No idea the official source on those numbers)

Edit: FWIW Wikipedia has Touring at 93 kWh and Pure at 88 kWh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_Air#Charging

Not sure how any of these details change if a dual motor option is chosen.
Thanks mnewber1. Posted this on twitter at
you Still would have to pay for pro and surreal with the touring for a comparison. I’ll take the $11,900 of options, over leather and ventilation.
Very helpful... If I get the Pure with the Dual Motor Option ($5000 per your spreadsheet), does it mean it is also All Wheel Drive or this is another option? What will be the HP for the Dual-Motor? Thanks

Without the motor upfront there would be room for frunk. So will the single motor version have a larger frunk?
Highly doubt it, it would require too many changes to components.

Back