Tom Moloughney Range Test

Range anxiety is no longer a "thing" I'd have to stop twice an eat and add bathroom stops for me as well. I guess I'll do an unofficial over age 55 range test, LOL

I wonder how much range you loose at 80 mph when you start pushing some air.

I've wondered the same thing, as 80 mph is safer on most open interstates as it's nearer the average speed of surrounding traffic. I've found some articles that say ICE's lose about 11% between 70 and 80 mph, but I don't know how well that translates to an EV. Perhaps pretty well, as the main differences are increases in aerodynamic drag in both cases.

Range anxiety is no longer a "thing" I'd have to stop twice an eat and add bathroom stops for me as well. I guess I'll do an unofficial over age 55 range test, LOL
Only twice? I’d have to make 3-4 bathroom breaks lol. Seriously though, that is the range I have been waiting for. I can ’top off’ during a meal break and just fill overnight at my hotel. It is just like an ICE at that point for refueling.

I've wondered the same thing, as 80 mph is safer on most open interstates as it's nearer the average speed of surrounding traffic. I've found some articles that say ICE's lose about 11% between 70 and 80 mph, but I don't know how well that translates to an EV. Perhaps pretty well, as the main differences are increases in aerodynamic drag in both cases.
I would imagine the mileage drop would be less with a Lucid with its .2 drag coefficient. Let’s say 8% less for argument’s sake that still leaves you at ~460 miles with 19 inch wheels or ~415 with 21s

BTW I’ve noticed a Lucid blackout on the “ other EVs” thread section over at Tesla motors club. They talk a lot about the Rivian , polestar, Mercedes among others but strangely not much about the Lucid in the last several weeks.

Only twice? I’d have to make 3-4 bathroom breaks lol. Seriously though, that is the range I have been waiting for. I can ’top off’ during a meal break and just fill overnight at my hotel. It is just like an ICE at that point for refueling.
Twice, "add" bathroom breaks. As a resident I used to drive 11 hours home for vacation. Can't do that anymore. Drove to Fort Lauderdale a decade ago with an over night in Atlanta and that was still brutal.

Last edited:
I’m glad that Tom hit 500 miles. I typically go 75 mph on the highway.

I’m glad that Tom hit 500 miles. I typically go 75 mph on the highway.

It will be interesting driving out in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Speed limits are 45-55 in some areas.

Most importantly, did you notice his car had ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL?!?!?

Crazy range numbers, very impressive even though close to the advertised range. It will be interesting to see if owners can duplicate these results.

Crazy range numbers, very impressive even though close to the advertised range. It will be interesting to see if owners can duplicate these results.

It looks like this was achieved because his car had ADAPTIVE cruise control. Locked in at 4.3mi/kWh

Driving 80 I get 360ish on 21"

BTW I’ve noticed a Lucid blackout on the “ other EVs” thread section over at Tesla motors club. They talk a lot about the Rivian , polestar, Mercedes among others but strangely not much about the Lucid in the last several weeks.
I wonder why...

It will be interesting to see if owners can duplicate these results.

Probably not, as InsideEVs tests in as close to optimal conditions as they can find. But that isn't really the point in the final analysis. The EPA has always said that its ratings are for the purposes of comparing vehicles and not meant to be a necessarily accurate representation of what any one car will do in real-world conditions.

When driving in the real world and encountering the inevitable variables in weather, terrain, traffic, road surface, etc., you'll be encountering those same things no matter what brand of EV you're driving.

So the real point it this: The Lucid Air starts out with such a wide range advantage over any other EV that, no matter how much the above variables reduce that range, you will still be able to go much further in your Air than in any other EV on the market.

Yes, the Air has a bigger battery pack. Yes, an EV with a heat pump cabin heater (such as a Tesla) might see a little less range loss in cold weather, a driver that does a better job of keeping tires properly inflated will do a bit better than one who doesn't, a propensity for punching the accelerator will exact a bigger penalty in a heavier car (such as the Lucid), and so on . . . . But, when you start out with 60% more nominal range, there is almost nothing you can encounter on the road or you can do with the way you drive the car that will still not leave you with considerably more range than you would have in any other EV that did one thing or another a bit better to enhance range.

Last edited:
If you read the reviews on the new BMW electrics, the i series, they are far from lost in the wilderness. They certainly seem to have their new software, iDrive 8, at a far more developed state than a certain brand we're discussing here. ;)

Yes, the Lucid range trumps the BMW electrics, but the BMW electric drivetrains and software are nothing to sneeze at. Personally I'm not bothered by the sharing of a platform with an ICE car if the execution is good.

I have a reservation for both vehicles and I'm still undecided. Certainly many of the posts here don't increase my confidence that I won't be bothered by many day to day annoyances.

The BMW is heavier and probably will cost more after one options it out. I currently drive a BMW PHEV (2018 530e) and I do like the way a BMW drives but the Lucid Air seems a better alternative to the BMW. Less weight, more range, more standard features, no ugly snout. I figure my reserved Lucid Air Pure will probably not be available until sometime in 2023; will see what my options are then.

Based on my experience so far which is about the same as @hydbob, I was planning my 2700mi trip with 315 miles for the western portion due to cold, elevation change, the temptation to drive faster, plus having ~10% safety margin. I really hope the cruise control update drops in the next 4 weeks. Would be nice to be able to set cruise at 70 for at least part of each charge to extend either range or safety margin. Based on these results the 21 P edition should be ~450mi.

Based on my experience so far which is about the same as @hydbob, I was planning my 2700mi trip with 315 miles for the western portion due to cold, elevation change, the temptation to drive faster, plus having ~10% safety margin. I really hope the cruise control update drops in the next 4 weeks. Would be nice to be able to set cruise at 70 for at least part of each charge to extend either range or safety margin. Based on these results the 21 P edition should be ~450mi.
No, the 21 p should be closer to 400. EPA on the 21p was 451

It will be interesting driving out in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah. Speed limits are 45-55 in some areas.

Most importantly, did you notice his car had ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL?!?!?
Having driven around that area, it will also be 2 lane roads with a lot of rvs... it will be annoying for you but a great opportunity to repeatedly test the acceleration as you pass lots of vehicles.

The BMW is heavier and probably will cost more after one options it out. I currently drive a BMW PHEV (2018 530e) and I do like the way a BMW drives but the Lucid Air seems a better alternative to the BMW. Less weight, more range, more standard features, no ugly snout. I figure my reserved Lucid Air Pure will probably not be available until sometime in 2023; will see what my options are then.
There's one big differentiator between the i4 and the Lucid at this point, software. The BMW does not suffer from the software issues we're seeing here, and that can be a significant factor in ownership satisfaction. I too have a Pure reserved and I have no idea when I'll get it. I'm sure the production dates for the Pure have been moved significantly back. However I suspect I'm near the front of the line for the Pure since I reserved fairly early. Likewise, I also have no idea when I'd receive the i4 either. I have no production date for that car, despite my dealer saying the car would probably arrive during the spring. I'm beginning to doubt that too.

I'm really torn between these two cars. I love what Lucid has done with the mechanics of the car, particularly the range, even for the Pure. Unlike many here, I do like that the i4 is on the smaller side as I find cars of that size much more maneuverable. Aesthetically, although very different, I like both. Sans the software issues of the Lucid, I'm sure I'd be delighted with either car.

Back