smistry007

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
So w all the rains in Sunny Southern Cali, pot holes are springing up like mushrooms. I hit one in the dark and got a flat about 2 miles from home. I had a can of "Fix a Flat" in the trunk and was able to get 10psi out of it and limped her back home.

America's Tire couldn't get a new tire from Georgia Pirelli warehouse for a week. Apparently even though they had Michelin sport pilots of appropriate size, due to the Lucid's increased weight, only the Pirelli is specifically made for such load. Lucid service center had them in stock fortunately!

I used a Harbor Freight racing jack w a black round rubber "hockey puck" like cushion.

IMG_1842.JPG

This is the under part of the car just aft of the front wheel well. I aimed to jack and rubber cushion here. It all seemed pretty solid down there. Later on, I read on other threads about using two jacks at a time to prevent the frame from bending; so far so good w no obvious issues!

IMG_1841.JPG

The black bolt heads on the wheel are actually plastic fakes and need a hook like tool to pry them off ( I know- more hand cream!)

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

The nuts came off w a little effort- they are camfored fyi

IMG_1844.JPG

Couple of extra pics of brakes, steering and suspension if interested

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG

Hope this was of value to everyone,

best,

Sameer

I’m in the same boat as you. Got a bubble in the tire after hitting numerous potholes on the freeway in the dark over the weekend. Booked into Lucid on Thursday for replacement.

I’m also filing with the CA department of transport for a reimbursement. Not sure how it’ll go but worth a shot.

Driving this week had been quite an obstacle course. Really deep potholes and many of them on the freeway and some in roads too. I was shocked to see that amount and size of potholes. I'm not too upset at my home country anymore because this kind of weather is very common year round. CA roads took a beating with 3 weeks of rain.

that's good to have confirmation of such. As it is, it took more effort to jack up the Lucid than any of my other cars and I was seriously scared that my jack might fail under the increased load

Thank you for posting. I hope this isn't a dumb question. But, does everyone having pothole/bubble issues have 21" wheels/tires on their cars? Asking because I live in Buffalo where our potholes are infamous. I am opting for 19's on my Touring when Lucid gets around to building it. Hoping that might be a good option for this climate and road conditions.

...because I live in Buffalo where our potholes are infamous. I am opting for 19's on my Touring when Lucid gets around to building it. Hoping that might be a good option for this climate and road conditions.
Definitely. You'll also be able to get snow tires for the 19" wheels if you choose.

Thank you for posting. I hope this isn't a dumb question. But, does everyone having pothole/bubble issues have 21" wheels/tires on their cars? Asking because I live in Buffalo where our potholes are infamous. I am opting for 19's on my Touring when Lucid gets around to building it. Hoping that might be a good option for this climate and road conditions.
Not a dumb question at all. My non expert opinion is that w a thinner/ shorter sidewall (21in) there is less shock absorbing than with a taller sidewall (19in tire) and therefore 19 inchers are probably a better option in pot hole territory

Not a dumb question at all. My non expert opinion is that w a thinner/ shorter sidewall (21in) there is less shock absorbing than with a taller sidewall (19in tire) and therefore 19 inchers are probably a better option in pot hole territory
"thinner/ shorter sidewall" and a very heavy car+potholes adds up to damaged tires.

Yeah. The 19s aren’t bulletproof but are pretty much like any other tires.

The 21s are incredible for Northern California roads, which don’t generally have tons of potholes, but for winter and road trips the 19s are a no brainer.

That’s why I have both sets; if I had to pick only one, it’d be the 19s or I’d plan on a “tire fund” in my budget each year.

That said, I have yet to have a blowout of any sort; had a nail once, but that’s to be expected with any tire.

Yeah. The 19s aren’t bulletproof but are pretty much like any other tires.

The 21s are incredible for Northern California roads, which don’t generally have tons of potholes, but for winter and road trips the 19s are a no brainer.

That’s why I have both sets; if I had to pick only one, it’d be the 19s or I’d plan on a “tire fund” in my budget each year.

That said, I have yet to have a blowout of any sort; had a nail once, but that’s to be expected with any tire.
If and once the tire stores start stocking the 21s, just get road hazard protection and skip the savings account.

If and once the tire stores start stocking the 21s, just get road hazard protection and skip the savings account.
The bigger issue is getting stranded in the middle
Of no where and waiting for a tow truck and tire shipment

I think I’m gonna do that but then will need jack, crowbar and tire air pump in addition

I agree with the road hazard insurance. I have the 19’s and bought it. Roads are terrible and it is reassuring and confidence building knowing that I am covered.

I agree with the road hazard insurance. I have the 19’s and bought it. Roads are terrible and it is reassuring and confidence building knowing that I am covered.
Where did you buy it?

I'll be looking at road hazard insurance after spending almost $1600 on a wheel replacement yesterday at Lucid. Not only did the tire have a bubble in it the rim also got slightly bent requiring both tire and rim needing to be replaced. You can also put it through insurance but it's classed as an "at fault" claim. I put the claim in with DoT San Mateo County to cover the repair but suspect i'll be told "not our problem" and have it denied.

As much as the hazard insurance is I think it is worth it considering the price of the Pirelli’s. I hope DoT covers you. I know guys I used to work with submitted claims here in Seattle and they were covered. A lot of footwork but it paid off for them. I do believe that they busted their tires on either in process or just completed city road repair and that’s why they were reimbursed.

Back