What a Difference a Tire Makes!!

Electrified

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT, F Type SVR, F-Pace
Referral Code
04MXQNS5
Two weeks ago I replaced the stock 19" Pirelli's (16,000 miles) with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, and all I can say is what difference in dry handling character, and in the snow and ice there just isn't any comparison!
Last year we didn't have a whole lot of snow and ice, but when we did the traction the Pirelli's offered was atrocious.

What I did find interesting with the Pirelli's is the foam liner that was installed in the carcass, I can't imagine how out balance a tire would become if you used the Lucid supplied fix a flat.
Tire.jpeg

Not to beat a dead horse, but those tires purportedly do not support the weight of the car. I would double check. Maybe something has changed since we had our issues with the tire.

Not to beat a dead horse, but those tires purportedly do not support the weight of the car. I would double check. Maybe something has changed since we had our issues with the tire.
There’s a good bit about this in the FAQ at www.lucidupdates.com.

You're not beating a dead horse, but I must tell you that the tires are XL rated and EV rated, load capacity 1874 Lbs x 4= 7,496 Lbs.

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4
245 /45 R19 102Y XL BSW

You're not beating a dead horse, but I must tell you that the tires are XL rated and EV rated, load capacity 1874 Lbs x 4= 7,496 Lbs.

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4
245 /45 R19 102Y XL BSW
I wish they had that in a summer version

I wish they had that in a summer version
They have the Pilot Sport 4S in XL as seen in the link. I'm an admitted fan of Michelin Pilot Sports and have been for many years, my F Type SVR came with Pirelli's and again what a difference in dry and wet handling when I made the swap to the Pilot Sports. Pirelli P-Zero's are not a bad tire, but they just don't have the stick and responsiveness of the Pilot Sport.

There's also the Pilot Sport EV but you'll have to switch to 20s (worth it)
I may do that when my 19's are used up - though having all-season capability is nice.

I may do that when my 19's are used up - though having all-season capability is nice.
I see you're in Santa Clara County. I don't really think you need an all-season tire for the type of weather we have here. If you have another car for snow trips, i'd say not to worry about pilot sport series. They do great in the rain.

I see you're in Santa Clara County. I don't really think you need an all-season tire for the type of weather we have here. If you have another car for snow trips, i'd say not to worry about pilot sport series. They do great in the rain.
We use the Air primarily for long trips, and could wind up in light snow once in a while.

In have read that in our average rain, summer tires will have better grip than all season.

I had pilot super sport tires on a Maserati for years and found dry grip to be disconcertingly poor below about 40F.

We use the Air primarily for long trips, and could wind up in light snow once in a while.

In have read that in our average rain, summer tires will have better grip than all season.

I had pilot super sport tires on a Maserati for years and found dry grip to be disconcertingly poor below about 40F.
Gotcha...yea i know the PS4S are better than the old PSS and i don't know why but there's almost no independent reviews of the PSEV, but yea it's probably fair to assume neither will be good in light snow

Not a car guy and I may be looking at this wrong, but the specs say CL but Max rating is 18xx lbs. Seems like it's not rated for the weight of the Lucid as someone previously commented? Or do you multiply that per tire?

Two weeks ago I replaced the stock 19" Pirelli's (16,000 miles) with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, and all I can say is what difference in dry handling character, and in the snow and ice there just isn't any comparison!
Last year we didn't have a whole lot of snow and ice, but when we did the traction the Pirelli's offered was atrocious.

What I did find interesting with the Pirelli's is the foam liner that was installed in the carcass, I can't imagine how out balance a tire would become if you used the Lucid supplied fix a flat.
View attachment 17730
How is the ride quality and quietness compared to the Pirelli? I thought I had read somewhere that they’re noisier.

How is the ride quality and quietness compared to the Pirelli? I thought I had read somewhere that they’re noisier.
They should be noisier in theory given they don’t have the foam inserts so road noise should be louder.

I had replaced my MSP tires with 21 inch MP all season tires. Loved the grip in snow but hated how noisy it made the already loud cabin.

They should be noisier in theory given they don’t have the foam inserts so road noise should be louder.

I had replaced my MSP tires with 21 inch MP all season tires. Loved the grip in snow but hated how noisy it made the already loud cabin.
That’s my concern. Quietness is one of the aspects of the Lucid I really enjoy. I’d hate to sacrifice that serenity.

That’s my concern. Quietness is one of the aspects of the Lucid I really enjoy. I’d hate to sacrifice that serenity.
I’ve replaced my 20” Michelin EV summer tires with the 20“ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S All Season tires. While they are not quite as quiet as the EV tires, the difference in road noise is negligible thus far. On some roads, I can hear a low harmonic noise that I didn’t hear with the EV tires, but that is a rare event and I have to really listen for it to hear the difference. I suspect that few will care. The Michelin all season tires have been wonderful to drive on thus far. ( In fact, I think that the ride on most surfaces is even better than it was with the EV tires.) It’s possible that they will get noisier as they wear, but I can certainly live with that.

Highly recommended!

I’ve replaced my 20” Michelin EV summer tires with the 20“ Michelin Pilot Sport 4S All Season tires. While they are not quite as quiet as the EV tires, the difference in road noise is negligible thus far. On some roads, I can hear a low harmonic noise that I didn’t hear with the EV tires, but that is a rare event and I have to really listen for it to hear the difference. I suspect that few will care. The Michelin all season tires have been wonderful to drive on thus far. ( In fact, I think that the ride on most surfaces is even better than it was with the EV tires.) It’s possible that they will get noisier as they wear, but I can certainly live with that.

Highly recommended!
Did you notice any difference in range and consumption going from summer to all season? Assuming that you have also driven the all season in similar conditions as the summer tires. Obviously less range is expected in winter, making the comparison pointless. Thanks.

Did you notice any difference in range and consumption going from summer to all season? Assuming that you have also driven the all season in similar conditions as the summer tires. Obviously less range is expected in winter, making the comparison pointless. Thanks.
Honestly, before the recent drastic change in outdoor temperature, I did not notice any material change in range. I am noticing a 10% reduction in range now that outdoor temps have dropped into the 10’s and 20’s F.

Reactions: SBK
Honestly, before the recent drastic change in outdoor temperature, I did not notice any material change in range. I am noticing a 10% reduction in range now that outdoor temps have dropped into the 10’s and 20’s F.
That wounds about right.

Back